Total views : 238
Management of Supracondylar Femoral Fractures by Retrograde Nailing Technique: A Retrospective and Prospective Study
Objectives: The goal of our study is to study the management of supracondylar fractures of femur by retrograde intramedullary nailing and its clinical and functional outcome. Methods/ Statistical Analysis: The study was done on patient with distal femur fractures. The patient ranged from 18–85yrs of age. Patient below 16yrs of age and Pathological fractures were excluded. All the patients were treated according to a protocol. Investigations were done, patient’s general condition was assessed and fitness for surgery was taken. Patients were managed by closed reduction and internal fixation under C-arm or by open reduction and internal fixation using tourniquet. Patient was followed with clinical and x-ray findings. Findings: Closed fractures managed by closed technique have a better result with significance. When compared between the shortening and surgical technique, the open reduction techniques are associated with more shortening compared to closed reduction technique and this appears to be statistically significant in our study. Conclusion: Retrograde intramedullary nail is a dynamic instrument and still persists as a major option for treatment of distal femoral fracture despite recent advances in the management of fracture.
Closed Reduction, Distal Femur Fracture, Open Reduction, Retrograde Intramedullary Nail.
- Hierholzer C. Outcome analysis of retrograde nailing and less invasive stabilization system in the distal femoral fractures, retrospective analysis. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics. 2011 May–Jun; 45(3):243–50.
- Donald AW. Supracondylar and Intracondylar fractures of the femur: Fractures in Adults. The Rockwood CA Jr and Green D (adults), 4th edn. Philadelphia, JB Lippincott; 1996. p. 1973–95.
- Wilson JN. Watson Jone’s fractures and joint injuries. 6th edn; 1982. p. 1003–70.
- John C. The closed treatment of common fractures. 3rd edn. 2003; p. 197–204.
- Rao DV. Supracondylar fracture femur treated with intra-medullary nail: A prospective study. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences. 2015Aug; 4(65):11352–61.
- Leung KS. Interlocking intramedullary nailing for supracondylar and intercondylar fractures of distal part of femur. Journal of Bone and Surgery. 1991; 73(3):332–40.
- Martinet O. The epidemiology of fractures of the distal femur. Injury. 2000 Sep; 31(3):62–3.
- Arneson TJ. Epidemiology of diaphyseal and distal femoral fractures in Rochester, Minnesota. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 1988 Sep; (234):188–94.
- Siliski JM. Supracondylar-intercondylar fractures of the femur. Treatment by Internal Fixation. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume. 1989 Jan; 71(1):95–104.
- Patel K. Percutaneous intramedullary supracondylar nailing for fractures of distal femur. Medical Journal of Malaysia. 2004 May; 59(2):206–7.
- Walling AK. Injuries to the knee ligaments with fractures of the femur The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume. 1982 Dec; 64(9):1324–7.
- Leggon RE. Retrograde femoral nailing: A focus on the knee. The American Journal of Knee Surgery. 2001; 14(2):109–18.
- Gellman RE. Treatment of supracondylar femoral fractures with a retrograde intramedullary nail. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 1996 Nov; (332):90–7.
- Lucas SE. Intramedullary supracondylar nailing of femoral fractures. A preliminary report of the GSH supracondylar nail. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 1993 Nov; (296):200–6.
- Giles JB. Supracondylar-intercondylar fractures of the femur treated with a supracondylar plate and lag screw. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume. 1982 Jul; 64(6):864–70.
- Scheerlinck T. The femoral supracondylar nail: preliminary experience. Acta Orthopaedica Belgica. 1998 Dec; 64(4):385–92.
- Anup K, Mehra MM. Retrograde femoral interlocking nail in complex fractures. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. 2002 Jun; 10(1):17–21.
- Scholl BM, Jaffe KA. Oncologic uses of the retrograde femoral nail. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2002 Jan; (394):219–26.
- Saw A, Lau CP. Supracondylar nailing for difficult distal femur fractures. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. 2003 Dec; 11(2):141–7.
- Handolin L. Retrograde intramedullary nailing in distal femoral fractures–results in a series of 46 consecutive operations. Injury. 2004 May; 35(5):517–22.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.