Total views : 125
Clinical Effectiveness of the Lateral Approach of the Maxillary Sinus Floor Augmentation using Different Gadgets with Simultaneous Implant Placement: A Systematic Review with Meta-Analysis
Objectives: Help the clinician to choose between the newly introduced, specifically designed instruments for this procedure. Methods/Statistical Analysis: after thorough search of Cochrane CENTRAL and PubMed databases, the analysis was limited to clinical studies of the lateral approach sinus augmentation with simultaneous implant placement. Statistical Analysis: Comprehensive Meta Analysis version 2.2.048 software was used. Results: Eight articles were included in the review. Analysis of the formatted tables shows that the type of tool used in sinus lateral approach might affect the success of the procedure. Findings: There was a statistical significance difference of using the ultrasonic tips over the conventional use of rotary tips but it is not usually to be clinically significant; especially if a highly trained surgeon could perform the lateral osteotomy by any tool but the previous studies were highly supporting the ultrasonic tips over the rotary tips in reference to less traumatic surgery with minimal operative and postoperative complications. Application/ Improvements: Randomized clinical trials are needed to compare the newly presented tools like DASK and SLA reamers to properly asses their clinical effectiveness. Studies of patient reported outcomes are needed to clearly evaluate the cost effectiveness of each tool.
Augmentation, Implant, Lateral Approach, Maxillary Sinus, Simultaneous.
- Hernández-Alfaro F, Torradeflot MM, Marti C. Prevalence and management of Schneiderian membrane perforations during sinus-lift procedures. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2008; 19:91–8. PMid:17961185
- Shin HI, Sohn DS. A method of sealing perforated sinus membrane and histologic finding of bone substitutes: a case report. Implant Dent. 2005; 14:328–33. PMid:16361881. Available from: Crossref
- Vercellotti T, De Paoli S, Nevins M. The piezoelectric bony window osteotomy and sinus membrane elevation: introduction of a new technique for simplification of the sinus augmentation procedure. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2001; 21:561–7. PMid:11794567.
- Rickert D, Vissink A, Slater JJRH, Meijer HJA, Raghoebar GM. Comparison between conventional and piezoelectric surgical tools for maxillary sinus floor elevation. A randomized controlled clinical trial. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2013 Apr; 15(2):297–302. PMid:21745325. Available from: Crossref
- Emtiaz S, Caramês JM, Pragosa A. An alternative sinus floor elevation procedure: Trephine osteotomy. Implant Dent. 2006; 15:171–7. PMid:16766900. Available from: Crossref
- Farré-Pagés N, Augé-Castro ML, Alaejos-Algarra F, Mareque-Bueno J, Ferrés-Padró E, Hernández-Alfaro F. A novel trephine design for sinus lift lateral approach. Case report. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2011; 16:79–82. Available from: Crossref
- Kazancioglu HO, Tek M, Ezirganli S, Mihmanli A. Comparison of a novel trephine drill with conventional rotary instruments for maxillary sinus floor elevation. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2013; 28:1201–6. PMid:24066309. Available from: Crossref
- Lozada L, Goodacre C, Aladdin J, GarbaceaA. Lateral and crestal bone planingantrostomy: A simplified surgical procedure to reduce the incidence of membrane perforation during maxillary sinus augmentation procedures. J Prosthet Dent. 2011; 105:147–53. Available from: Crossref
- Kim Y, Itoh Y, Kang TH. Evaluation of the effectiveness of a water lift system in the sinus membrane-lifting operation as a sinus surgical instrument. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research. 2012 Aug; 14(4):585–94. PMid:20586782. Available from: Crossref
- Cha HS, Kim A, Nowzari H, et al. Simultaneous sinus lift and implant installation: Prospective study of consecutive two hundred seventeen sinus lift and four hundred sixty-two implants. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2014 Jun; 16(3):337–47. PMid:23157674. Available from: Crossref
- Meloni SM, Jovanovic SA, Lolli FM, Cassisa C, et al. Grafting after sinus lift with anorganic bovine bone alone compared with 50:50 anorganic bovine bone and autologous bone: results of a pilot randomised trial at one year. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015 May; 53(5):436–41. PMid:25796408. Available from: Crossref
- Higgins JP, Thompson SG, Deeks JJ, Altman DG. Measuring inconsistency in meta analyses. BMJ. 2003; 327(7414):557– 60.
- Chen T, Chang H, Leung K, Lai Y, Kao S. Implant placement immediately after the lateral approach of the trap door window procedure to create a maxillary sinus lift without bone grafting :A 2-year retrospective evaluation of 47 implants in 33 patients. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007; 65:2324–8. PMid:17954333. Available from: Crossref
- Irinakis T. Efficacy of injectable demineralized bone matrix as graft material during sinus elevation surgery with simultaneous implant placement in the posterior maxilla: clinical evaluation of 49 sinuses. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 69:134–41. PMid:21050634. Available from: Crossref
- Jodia K, Sadhwani B, Parmar S, Anchlia S, Sadhwani S. Sinus elevation with an alloplastic material and simultaneous implant placement: A 1-stage procedure in severely atrophic maxillae. J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2014 Jul-Sep; 3(3):271–80. PMid:25018600 PMCid:PMC4082555. Available from: Crossref
- Al-Salman W, Almas K. Maxillary sinus and success of dental implants: an update. Gen Dent. 2015 Jul-Aug; 63(4):47–54. PMid:26147168.
- Barone A, Santini S, Marconcini S, Giacomelli L, Gherlone E, Covani U. Osteotomy and membrane elevation during the maxillary sinus augmentation procedure: A comparative study: Piezoelectric device vs. conventional rotative instruments. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2008; 19:511– 5. PMid:18371101. Available from: Crossref
- Fermergård R, Astrand P. Osteotome sinus floor elevation and simultaneous placement of implants: A 1-year retrospective study with Astra Tech implants. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2008; 10:62–9. PMid:18254742. Available from: Crossref
- Wallace SS, Mazor Z, Froum SJ, Cho SC, Tarnow DP. Schneiderian membrane perforation rate during sinus elevation using piezo surgery: Clinical results of 100 consecutive cases. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2007; 27:413–9. PMid:17990437.
- Blus C, Szmukler-Moncler S, Salama M, Salama H, Garber D. Sinus bone grafting procedures using ultrasonic bone surgery: 5-year experience. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2008 Jun; 28(3):221–9. PMid:18605597.
- Nkenke E, Schlebel A, Schultze-Mosgau S, Neukam FW, Wiltfang J. The endoscopically controlled osteotome sinus floor elevation: A preliminary prospective study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2002 Jul-Aug; 17(4):557–66. PMid:12182299.
- Ali Nikkhoo, Amankhani M, Ghafari H. Vibration suppression in smart thin beams with piezoelectric actuators under a moving load/mass accounting for large deflections of the base structure. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014; 7(2):211–20.
- Kim SH, Hong K. Histologic evaluation of low-intensity pulsed ultrasound effects on bone regeneration in sinus lift. J Periodontal Implant Sci. 2010; 40:271–5. PMid:21246017 PMCid:PMC3021167. Available from: Crossref
- Kher U, Mazor Z, Stanitsas P, Georgios A. Implants placed simultaneously with lateral window sinus augmentation using a putty alloplastic bone substitute for increased primary implant stability: A retrospective study. Implant Dent. 2014; 23:496–501. Available from: Crossref
- Bensaha T, El Mjabber H. Evaluation of new bone formation after sinus augmentation with two different methods. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016 Jan; 45(1):93–8. PMid:26427784. Available from: Crossref
- Lin Y, Yang Y, Wen S, Wang H. The influence of sinus membrane thickness upon membrane perforation during lateral window sinus augmentation. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2016 May; 27(5):612–7. PMid:26076580. Available from: Crossref
- Lundgren S, Andersson S, Gualini F, Sennerby L. Bone reformation with sinus membrane elevation: a new surgical technique for maxillary sinus floor augmentation. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2004; 6(3):165–73. Available from: Crossref
- Li J, Lee K, Chen H, Ou G. Piezoelectric surgery in maxillary sinus floor elevation with hydraulic pressure for xenograft and simultaneous implant placement. J Prosthet Dent. 2013; 110:344–8. PMid:24084145. Available from: Crossref
- Soltan M, Smiler D. Trephine bone core sinus elevation graft. Implant Dent. 2004 Jun; 13(2):148–52. PMid:15179091. Available from: Crossref
- Erdem NF, Çiftçi A, Acar AH. Three-year clinical and radiographic implant follow-up in sinus-lifted maxilla with lateral window technique. Implant Dent. 2016 Apr; 25(2):214–21. PMid:26579850. Available from: Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.