Total views : 326
Development of Empirical Formulas and Computer Program with MATLAB GUI for Designing of Grounding System in Two Layer Soil Resistivity Model for High Voltage Air Insulated and Gas Insulated Substations
This paper presents empirical formulas which can be used for designing the grounding system in two layer soil model for both Gas Insulated Substation (GIS) and Air Insulted Substation (AIS). Proper soil modelling helps in accurate designing of grounding system of substation. IEEE-80 gives formulas to design grounding system for uniform soil model and help of software is taken for two or more than two layer soil model. MATLAB GUI has been used for designing of grounding system of high voltage substation. There is acute need to provide low resistance path for fault current into the ground and to limit the ground potential rise and touch and step potentials within tolerable limit. Presently preference is given to Gas Insulated Substation over Air Insulated Substation due to scarcity of availability of space. The computer program can design the grounding system optimally and accurately in very short duration. Also, empirical formulas may be used for parametric analysis of designing of grounding system for two layer soil model by engineers for designing of grounding system.
Grounding, Ground Potential Rise (GPR), Resistivity, Resistance, Single and Two Layers Soil Model, Touch and Step Potential.
- IEEE Std. 80-2000. IEEE guide for safety in AC substation grounding. New York, NY: IEEE; 2000. p. 1–192.
- IEEE:81:1983. IEEE Guide for measuring earth resistivity, ground impedance and earth surface potentials of a ground system. 1983. p. 1–44.
- Manual on grounding of AC power systems. New Delhi: Publication C.B.I.P; 2007. p. 1–4.
- I.S. 3043-1987. Indian Standard Code of Practice for Grounding. New Delhi: Bureau of Indian Standard; 2007. p. 1–95.
- Seedher HR, Arora JK. Estimation of two layer soil parameter using finite Wenner resistivity expressive. IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery. 1992; 7(3):1213–7.
- Kumar R, Bansal K, Saini DK, Paul IPS. Importance and need of accurate modeling of soil of high voltage substation for optimal designing of grounding system. IJEC. 2015; 7(1):29–44.
- Gilbert G. Soil modeling techniques. International Journal of Materials Science and Applications. 2012; 1(1):8–13.
- Kumar R, Bansal K, Saini DK, Paul IPS. Two layer soil modeling and optimal designing of grounding system of High Voltage Air Insulated and Gas Insulated Substation using MATLAB GUI. Water and Energy International. 2015; 88(1):21–6.
- Babu GH, Anuhya AV, Venkatram N. Digital signal processing scheme for open loop and closed loop IFOG using MATLAB/SIMULINK. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(11):1–10.
- Sudhakar TD, Rajan MR, Srinivasan KN, Prabu RR, Narmadha TV, Krishnan MM. Modeling and simulation of distribution network with the integration of distribution generator using MATLAB. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(12):1–7.
- Khemiri R, Sayadi FE, Atri M. MATLAB-GPU-based 2D-DWT acceleration for JPEG2000 with single and doubleprecision. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(12):1–7.
- Pradeep M, Kumar MS, Sathiskumar S, Raja SH. Interleave isolated boost converter as a front end converter for solar/fuel cell application to attain maximum voltage in MATLAB. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Apr; 9(16):1–5.
- Sherif SM, Ghoneim G, Kamel A, Shoush S. Analytical methods for earth surface potential calculation for grounding grids. International Journal of Engineering and Computer Science. 2013; 13(3):1–7.
- AI-Harthi MM, Ghoneim SSM. Measurement the earth surface potential for different grounding system configurations using scale model. IJEET. 2012; 3(2):405–16.
- Ma J, Dawalibi FP, Southey RD. Effects of the changes in IEEE Std. 80 on the design and analysis of power system grounding. Safe Engineering Services and Technologies Ltd. 2002; 2:974–9.
- Southey RD, Dawalibi FP. Improving the reliability of power systems with more accurate grounding system resistance estimates. Safe Engineering Services and Technologies Ltd. 2002; 1:89–105.
- Dawalibi FP, Mitskevitch N. Analysis and validation of the performance of grounding systems buried in soil structures containing heterogeneous volumes. Safe Engineering Services and Technologies Ltd. 2005; 20(3):1–6.
- Nassereddine M, Rizk J, Nasserddine G. Soil resistivity data computations; Single and two - layer soil resistivity structure and its implication on grounding design. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 2013; 7(1):1–6.
- Gonos IF, Kontargyri VT, Stathopulos IA, Moronis AX, Sakarellos AP, Kolliopoulos NI. Determination of two layer earth structure parameters. XVII International Conference on Electromagnetic Disturbances EMD; 2007. p. 1–6.
- Aderibigbe AI, Olaosebikan FA. Algorithm for determining the parameters of a two-layer soil model. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology International Journal of Electrical, Computer, Electronics and Communication Engineering. 2014; 8(1):1–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.