Total views : 267
The Study of Oxidative Processes in Walnut Fats during Storage
Objectives: The aim of this paper was to explore chemical and sensory stability of walnuts during their storage. Methods/ Statistical Analysis: We have determined fatty acid composition, chemical parameters of lipid oxidation (peroxide and thiobarbituric values and conjugated dienes) during storage of walnuts. The accelerated storage of walnuts was used to reveal changes in sensory characteristics of walnuts, as well as significant increase of peroxide and thiobarbituric values and conjugated dienes contents. Findings: The results of our studies allowed establishing a correlation between physico-chemical parameters of oxidative damage of walnuts and their organoleptic characteristics. Determination of volatile compounds revealed the substances that caused the appearance of rancid taste and smell. Determination of fatty acid composition showed that during storage an increase of amount of saturated fatty acids and decrease of amount of polyunsaturated fatty acids occur. Application/Improvements: The research results can be used to predict shelf life of nuts, and to develop the methods of its increasing.
Lipid Oxidation, Nuts, Peroxide Value, Storage, Thiobarbituric Value, Walnuts.
- Amaral JS, Alves MR, Seabra RM, Oliveira BPP. Vitamin E composition of walnuts (Juglans regia L.): A 3-year comparative study of different cultivars. J Agric Food Chem. 2005; 53(13):5467–72.
- Savage GP. Chemical composition of walnuts (Juglans regia L.) grown in New Zealand. Plant Food Hum Nutr J. 2001; 56(1):75–82.
- Amaral JS, Casal S, Pereira JA, Seabra RM, Oliveira BPP. Determination of sterol and fatty acid compositions, oxidative stability, and nutritional value of six walnut (Juglans regia L.) cultivars grown in Portugal. J Agric Food Chem. 2003; 51(26):7698–702.
- Koyuncu MA. Change of fat content and fatty acid composition of Turkish hazelnuts (Corylus avellana L.) during storage. J Food Qual. 2004; 27(4):304–9.
- Li L, Tsao R, Yang R, Kramer JKG, Hernandez M. Fatty acid profiles, tocopherol contents, and antioxidant activities of heartnut (Juglans ailanthifolia Var. cordiformis) and persian walnut (Juglans regia L.). J Agric Food Chem. 2007; 55(4):1164–9.
- Thangaraj М, Gnanambal S. A rule based decision support system for aiding vitamin D deficiency management. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014; 7(1):1–5.
- Alasalvar C, Shahidi F, Liyanapathirana CM, Ohshima T. Turkish tombul hazelnut (Corylus avellana L.). 1. Compositional characteristics. J Agric Food Chem. 2003; 51(13):3790–6.
- Addeen А, Benjakul S, Maqsood S. Haemoglobin-mediated lipid oxidation in washed chicken mince. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(2):1–8.
- Savage GP, Neil MDL, Dutta PC. Lipid composition and oxidative stability of oils in hazelnuts (Corylus avellana L.) grown in New Zealand. J Amer Oil Chem Society. 1997; 74(6):755–9.
- Ambrose DCP, Annamalai SJK, Naik R. Effect of drying on the volatile oil yield of patchouli. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 6(12):1–4.
- Jensen PN, Sorensen G, Engelsen SB, Bertelsen G. Evaluation of quality changes in walnut kernels (Juglans regia L.) by vis/NIR spectroscopy. J Agric Food Chem. 2001; 49(12):5790–6.
- GOST R. 51487-99. Plant oils and animal fats. Method of Estimation of Peroxide Value; 1999.
- Caglarirmak N, Batkan AC. Nutrients and biochemistry of nuts in different consumption types in Turkey. J Food Process Preserv. 2005; 29(5-6):407–23.
- Sze-Tao KWC, Sathe SK. Walnuts (Juglans regia L): Proximate composition, protein solubility, protein amino acid composition and protein in vitro digestibility. J Sci Food Agric. 2000; 80(9):1393–401.
- Jensen PN, Sorensen G, Brockhoff P, Bertelsen G. Investigation of packaging systems for shelled walnuts based on oxygen absorbers. J Agric Food Chem. 2003; 51(17):4941–7.
- Shelepina NV, Zelenov AN, Bolshakova LS. Amino acid composition and biological value of protein of new pea morphotypes. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(5):1–5.
- Ciemniewska-Zytkiewicz H, Pasini F, Verardo V, Brys J, Koczon P, Caboni MF. Changes of the lipid fraction during fruit development in hazelnuts (Corylus avellana L.) grown in Poland. Eur J Lipid Sci Tech. 2015; 117(5):710–7.
- Martínez ML, Labuckas DO, Lamarque AL, Maestri DM. Walnut (Juglans regia L.): genetic resources, chemistry, by-products. J Sci Food Agric. 2010; 90(12):1959–67.
- Yu A, Gismatulina VV, Budaeva SG, Veprev GV, Sakovich SVK, Shumny S. GOST 30418-96 Plant oils. Method of Estimation of Fatty Acid Composition. 1996; 5(1):60–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.