Total views : 5540
Reduction of Salt and Pepper Noises from a Degraded Image Based on Fuzzy Techniques
Objectives: The present paper is concerned for removing the salt and pepper noises along with preserving the edge details of images from the degraded images. There are different techniques are available in literature for it with some merits and demerits. Methods: To overcome the demerits of some existing methods, we have presented a new technique based on fuzzy logic. The suggested technique is able to describe in two phases. In first phase, centroid defuzzification method is critically used for reducing the Salt and pepper noises and in second phase some techniques are used to preserve the different tiny edges of the degraded images. Findings: The proposed method tested and compared with some existing methods for 8-bit images of different percentage of noises. It gives the satisfactory result in terms of PSNR values and also preserved the different tiny edges. Here edges are computed by means of canny edge detector. Application: The suggested method can be applied to find the features of the images in medical imaging and in different industry.
Canny Edge Detector, Centroid Method, Fuzzy Logic, Membership Function, Salt and Pepper Noise.
- Baudes A, Coll B, Morel JM. IEEE Conf. A non-local algorithm for noise Denoising, Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CVPR. 2005; 2:60-65.
- Gonzalaz RC. Digital Image processing Prentice Hall, 2nd edition. 2008; p. 954. ISBN: 0-201-18075-8.
- Jayaraman S, Esakkirajan S, Veerakumar T. Digital Image processing Tata McGraw Hill Education Private Limited. 2008; p. 554. ISBN N0: 0070144796.
- Hamza A, Krim H. Image denoising Anon linear robust statistical approach. IEEE. Trans. Signal Processing. 2001; 49(2):3045-54.
- Abreu E, Lightston M, Mitra SK. A New efficient Approach for the Removal of Impulse Noise from Highly corrupted Images IEEE Transaction on Image processing. 1996; 5(6):1012-25.
- Boyat AK, Joshi BK. A Review Paper: Noise Models in Digital Image Processing. Signal & Image Processing: An International Journal (SIPIJ). 2015; 6(2):63-75.
- Aizenberg I. Effective Impulse Detector Based on Rank-order Criteria IEEE signal processing Letters. 2004; 11(3):363-66.
- Chen T, Ma KK, Chen LH. Tri-state median filter for image Denoising IEEE Trans. on Image Processing. 1999; 8(12):1834–38.
- Murugan V, Avudaiappan TR, and Balasubramanian B. A Comparative Analysis of Impulse Noise Removal Techniques on Gray Scale Images. International Journal of Signal Processing, Image Processing and Pattern Recognition. 2014; 7(5):239-48.
- Judith GMC, Kumarsabapathy N. Study and analysis of impulse noise reduction filter. Signal and Image Processing: An International Journal. 2011; 2(1):82-92.
- Manivel K, Ravindran RS. A Comparative Study of Impulse Noise Reduction in Digital Images for Classical and Fuzzy Filters. International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT). 2013; 4(1):4584-89.
- Yli-Harja O, Astola J, Neuvo Y. Analysis of the properties of median and weighted median filters using threshold logic and stack filter representation. IEEE Trans. Signal Processing. 1991; 39(2):395–410.
- Chen T, Wu HR. Space variant median filters for the restoration of impulse noise corrupted images. IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems II: Analog and Digital Signal processing. 2001; 48(8):784–89.
- Sun T, Neuvo Y. Detail-preserving median based filters in image processing. Pattern Recognition Letters. 1994; 15(4):341–47.
- Jeong B, Lee YH. Design of weighted order statistic filters using the perceptron algorithm Non linear digital signal processing. IEEE winter Workshop. 1993; p. 3.1_1.1 - 3.1_1.6.
- Jeong B, Lee YH. Design of Weighted order Statistic Filter Using the perceptron Algorithm. IEEE Trans. Signal Processing. 1994; 42(11):3264–69.
- Ghandeharian B, Hadi S. Modified, Adaptive center weighted median filter for up pressing impulse noise in images. International Journal of Research in Applied Sciences. 2009; 1(3):218-27.
- Ko SJ, Lee YH. Center weighted median filters and their applications to image enhancement. IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems. 1991; 38(9):984–93.
- Lin TC, Yu PT. A new adaptive center weighted median filter for suppressing impulsive noise in images. Information Sciences. 2007; 177(4):1073-87.
- Chen T, Wu HR. Adaptive impulse detection using center-weighted median filters. IEEE Signal Processing Letters. 2001; 8(1):1–3.
- Zhang S, Karim MA. A new impulse detector for switching median filters. IEEE Signal Processing Letters. 2002; 9(11):360–63.
- Wang Z, Zhang D. Progressive Switching Median Filter for removal of Impulse Noise from highly corrupted Images. IEEE transaction on circuits and systems–II Analog and digital Signal Processing. 1999; 46(1):78-80.
- Abreu E, Mitra SK. A signal-dependent rank ordered mean SD-ROM filter: A new approach for removal of impulses from highly corrupted images, IEEE ICASSP. 1995; 95(4):2371-74.
- Somasundram K, Shanmugavadivy P. Adaptive iterative order Statistics Filter. ICGST-GVIP Journal. 2009; 9(4):23-32.
- Hwang H, Haddad RA. Adaptive Median filters: New algorithms and results. IEEE transaction on Image Processing. 1995; 4(4):499-502.
- Jagadish H, Pujar P. Robust Fuzzy Median Filter for Impulse Noise Reduction of Gray Scale Images. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 2010; p. 1-5.
- Arakawa K. Median filters based on fuzzy rules and its application to image restoration. Fuzzy Sets and Systems. 1996; 77(1):3-13.
- Lee CS, Kuo VK, Yu PT. Weighted Fuzzy mean filters for Image processing. Fuzzy Sets Sys. 1997; 89(2):157-80.
- Yazdi S, Homayouni F. Impulsive Noise Suppression of Images Using Adaptive Median Filter. International Journal of Signal Processing, Image Processing and Pattern Recognition. 2010; 3(3):1-12.
- Verma OP, Singh S. A Fuzzy Impulse Noise Filter Based on Boundary Discriminative Noise Detection. J. Inf. Process Syst. 2013; 9(1):89-102.
- Shalimettilsha S, Kumar RPA. A New Proposed Modification on the BDND Filtering Algorithm for the Removal of High Density Impulse Noise. Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Applications. 2014; 4(4):306-08. ISSN: 2248-9622.
- Lakshimiprabha S. A new method of image Denoising based on fuzzy logic. International Journal of Soft Computing. 2008; 3(1):74-77.
- Lin TC, Yu PT. Partition fuzzy median filter based on fuzzy rules for image restoration. Fuzzy Sets and Systems. 2004; 147(1):75–97.
- Mohan R. Image Denoising Methods: A Survey. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering. 2014; 3(8):7808-12.
- Brar AK, Wasson V. Image Denoising Using Improved Neuro-Fuzzy Based Algorithm: A Review. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering. 2014; 4(4):1072-75. ISSN: 2277 128X.
- Mondal JK, Mukhopadhyay S. A Novel Directional Weighted Minimum Deviation (DWMD) Based Filter for Removal of Random Valued Impulse Noise. Burdwan, West Bengal, India: Proceedings of ICCS. 2010; p. 1-7.
- Dong Y, Xu S. Beijing: School of Mathematical Sciences, Peking University: A New Directional Weighted Median Filter for Removal of Random-Valued Impulse Noise. 2007; 14(3):193-96. 100871.
- Zimmermann HJ. Allied Publishers Limited: Fuzzy Set Theory and its Applications, 2nd edition. 1996; p. 203-40. ISBN 978-94-010-0646-0.
- Ross TJ. Wiley: Fuzzy logic with Engineering Applications, 2nd edition. 2009. ISBN: 978-0-470-74376-8.
- Konar A. New York: Springer: Computational Intelligence. 2015. ISBN 978-3-540-27335-6.
- Bezdek JC. Norwell: Kluwer Academic Publishers: Pattern Recognition with Fuzzy Objective Function Algorithms. 2013. ISBN: 0306406713.
- Jea-Gu Lee, Byung-Kwan Kim, Sung-Bong Jang, Seung-Ho Yeon, Young Woong Ko. Accuracy Enhancement of RSSI-based Distance Estimation by Applying Gaussian Filter. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(20). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i20/94675.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.