Total views : 354
A Robust Model Predictive Control for Balancing of an Inverted Pendulum
This paper presents a methodology to design robust predictive controller for the balancing of an inverted pendulum. The inverted pendulum is one of the most difficult control problem in which the pendulum needs to be balanced against the cart, which moves only in two directions to the left or to the right. A new robust controller is designed to balance the pendulum and produces results which are more effective and fast. A Model Predictive Control (MPC) and PID control strategies are applied for controlling the system equations of the inverted pendulum model and are analyzed and compared. The results of controllers implemented in MATLAB shows that both the strategies are able to control the system but robust model predictive control strategy gives better response as compared to conventional PID controller.
Controller, Inverted Pendulum (IP), Model Predictive Control (MPC), Proportional Integral Derivative (PID).
- Grammatico S, Zhang X, Margellos K, Goulart P, Lygeros J. A scenario approach for non-convex control design. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control. 2014.
- Stanger T, del Re L. A model predictive cooperative adaptive cruise control approach. American Control Conference (ACC) IEEE; 2013. p. 1374–9.
- Gu B, Gupta YP. Control of nonlinear processes by using linear model predictive control algorithms. ISA Transactions. 2008 Apr; 47(2):211–6.
- Mayne DQ, Rawlings JB, Rao CV, Scokaert POM. Constrained model predictive control: Stability and optimality. Automatica. 2000; 36:789–814.
- Maciejowski JM. Predictive control with constraints. Prentice Hall; 2002.
- Qin S, Badgewell T. A survey of industrial model predictive control technology. Control Engineering Practice. 2003; 11:733–64.
- Wills AG, Bates D, Fleming AJ, Ninness B, Moheimani S. Model predictive control applied to constraint handling in active noise and vibration control. 2005.
- Johansen TA, Jackson W, Schreiber R, Tondel P. Hardware synthesis of explicit model predictive controllers. IEEE Transactions on Control System Technology. 2007 Jan; 15(1):191–7.
- Ferreau HJ, Bock HG, Diehl M. An online active set strategy to overcome the limitations of explicit MPC. International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control. 2008; 18:816–30.
- Wang Y, Boyd S. Fast model predictive control using online optimization. Proceedings of the 17th International Federation of Automatic Control World Congress; 2008 Jul. p. 6974–7.
- Nasir ANK, Ismail R, Ahmad MA. Performance comparison between Sliding Mode Control (SMC) and PD-PID controllers for a nonlinear inverted pendulum system. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 2010; 70:400–5.
- Nasir ANK, Ismail RMTR, Ahmad MA. Performance comparison between Sliding Mode Control (SMC) and PD-PID Controllers for a nonlinear inverted pendulum system. World Academy of Sciences, Engineering and Technology, University Malaysia Pahang, Malaysia. 2010.
- Jamil M, Arshad R, Rashid U, Gillani SO, Ayaz Y, Khan MN. Robust repetitive current control of two level utility connected converter using LCL Filter. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering. 2015; 40(9):2653–70. ISSN: 1319-8025.
- Khawaja SS, Jamil M, Awais Q, Asgher U, Ayaz Y. Analysis of classical controller by variation of inner loop and controller gain for two-level grid connected converter. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(20). ISSN: 0974-6846.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.