Total views : 231
Numerical Analysis of the Hybrid Solar Collector Structure
Objective: The stability of supporting structure is designed for the hybrid solar collector that supports the parabolic collector and its accessories using finite element based simulation technique. Methodology: A supporting structure for supporting solar collector was designed and the simulation was carried out using ANSYS 15 tetrahedrons mesh control and the analysis is quite involved since loading is dynamic in nature due to the continuous movement of the tracking system. Throughout the design, the factor of safety is strictly restricted as 1 to avoid heavier structure and also to limit the structure cost. As a design improvement vertical and inclined cross members are attached to the ground support to withstand vibration. Findings: It is found that the vibration damping is good when the aperture is kept larger than the length of the collector. Improvements: The designed system can carry a load up to 800 kg. Therefore, the same structure can be used for an automatic tracking system.
Collector Structure, Ground Support Structure, Hybrid Solar Collector, Simulation, Structural Analysis.
- Singh B, Singh M, Sulaiman F. Designing a solar thermal cylindrical parabolic trough concentrator by simulation. International Rio3 Congress. Rio de Janeiro: World Climate and Energy Event; 2003.
- Reddy SV. Exergetic analysis and performance evaluation of Parabolic Trough Concentrating Solar Thermal Power Plant (PTCSTPP). Energy Elsevier. 2012; 39:258–73.
- Struckmann F. Analysis of a flat plate collector. Project Report MVK160. Lund, Sweden. Heat and Mass Transport. 2008; 8(3):451–86.
- Folaranmi J. Design, construction and testing of a parabolic solar steam generator Leonardo Electronic Journal of Practices and Technologies. 2009; 7(14):115–33.
- Jeter MS. Geometrical effects on the performance of trough collectors. Solar Energy. 1983; 30(2):109–13.
- Hawlader M, Brinkworth B. An analysis of the non-convecting solar pond. Solar Energy. 1981; 27(3):195–204.
- Mohammed BA. Design, fabrication and performance evaluation of an improved solar concentrating collectors using slat-mirrors. [MSc Thesis]. Zaria, Nigeria. Ahmadu Bello University. 2012; 2(1):822–30.
- Stine WB, Harrigan RW. Solar energy fundamentals and design. New York. John Wiley and Sons Inc. 1985; 2(1):822–30.
- Muhammed GS. Efficiency enhancement of crystalline silicon solar cell by the deposition of undoped ZnO thin film. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Jun; 4(6):1–4.
- Velmurugan P, Ramesh P. Evaluation of thermal performance of wire mesh solar air heater. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Jan; 4(1):1–3.
- Motwani P, Rajendhiran, Santhi AS. Simulation of brick infill and effect of openings on RC frames using ANSYS. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(S2):1–7.
- Farahani HF, Sabaghi M. Analysis of current harmonic on power system fuses using ANSYS. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Mar; 5(3):1–5.
- Mageshwaran G, Raja SKR, Sriram V. Biomechanics – reverse engineering of human bones for medical applications. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2015; 10(11):10405–9.
- Dudley VE, Kolb GJ, Mahoney AR, Mancini TR, Matthews CR, Sloan M, Kearney D. Test results: SEGS LS-2 solar collector. Report of Sandia National Laboratories (SANDIA-94-1884); 1994. p. 1–22.
- Raja SKR, Mageshwaran G. Analysis of hip femur joint for material polycaprolactone. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 8(3):488–94. ISSN: 0974-2015.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.