Total views : 253
Relationship between Types of Marine Sports Instructor’s Leadership and Sports Confidence
Background/Objectives: This research was conducted to investigate the relationship between leadership types of marine sports instructors and sports confidence. The target of the research is 239 club members who were participating in marine sports in 2015. Methods/Statistical Analysis: For the data processing, exploratory factor analysis, reliability analysis, correlation analysis and multiple regression analysis were used and the results of the research are as follows. Findings: First, the result of examining the relationship between leadership types of marine sports instructors and sports confidence shows that the training instruction type and social support type showed positive correlations with the coach leadership. The democratic type and the positive reward type had positive correlations with coach leadership. Authoritative leadership showed a negative correlation with coach leadership and a positive correlation with body mental preparation. Second, in the relationship between the leadership types and coach leadership, the training instruction type and the democratic type showed significantly positive effects. Also, in the relationship between the leadership types and body mental preparation, the authoritative type showed a significantly positive effect. Third, the relationship between the leadership types and social support and proven ability did not show statistical significance. Application/Improvement: Therefore, the leadership types of marine sports instructors have a positive significant relationship only with coach leadership and body mental preparation of sports confidence. Marine sports instructors need to demonstrate the training instruction type leadership to exert coach preparation when instructing members of the marine sports clubs leadership while demonstrating the authoritative type of leadership for body mental.
Achievement, Confidence, Instructor, Leadership, Marine Sports, Relationship.
- Park P, Sang-Hun S, Jeon J, Young-Rok Y. The effect of experience of marine leisure participants on enjoyment factors and behavioral intention: Focused on Scuba diving. Tourism Research. 2014; 39(44): 25–43.
- Cho C, Woo-Jeong W. A study on activation strategies for ocean sport industry through analyzing macroscopic environments and policies. Korean Journal of Sport Management. 2009; 14(3):203–17.
- Lee L, Sang-Il. The participant’s motivation and life style of the risk sports. Korean Journal of Sport Management. 2003; 8(1):63–77.
- Kim K, Jae-Yeon Y. The relation of fun elements, worry elements and class satisfaction of water leisure sports. [Unpublished master’s Dissertation]. Kookmin University; 2012.
- Lee L, Joo-Hyeong J, Lee L, Jae-Seob J, Lee L, Jae-Gon J. Tourism and Sports. Daemyungsa Press; 2006.
- Kang K, Hyun-Jung H, Kim K, Deok-Jin D, Yong-Kyu K. The effect of leadership style of dance sport coach on the athlete stress. Journal of Coaching Development. 2007; 9(1):279–87.
- Kim K, Jung-Won J. Ethical leadership for corporate competitiveness: In search of theory and practical principles. Korean Academy of Human Resource Management. 2006; 13(2):19–32.
- Podsakoff PM, Mackenzie MSB. An examination of the psychometic properties and nomological validity of some revised and reduced substitues for leadership scales. Journal of Applied Psychology, 1990; 79(5):702–13.
- Widmeyer WN, Carron AV, Brawley LR. Group cohesion in sport and exercise. Handbook of Research on Sport Psychology. 1993; 5(4):672–9.
- Bass BM. Leadership and performance beyond expectation. NY: The Press. 1988; 24(3):421–6.
- Prapavessis H, Carron AA, Spink KS. Team building in sport. International Journal of Sport Psychology. 1996; 27(3):269–85.
- Vealey RS. Conceptualization of sport-confidence and competitive: Preliminary investigation and instrument development. Journal of Sports Psychology. 1986; 8(1):221–46.
- Lee L, Kyung-Sun K. The relationship between the sports confidence and its formation factors of table tennis players. [Unpublished Master’s Dissertation]. Yongin University; 2003. p. 1–7.
- Jun J, Myung-Kyu M. Contribution of self-leadership on sports confidence and performance among skating athletes. The Korean Journal of Measurement and Evaluation in Physical Education and Sport Science. 2013; 15(3):41–51.
- Kwon K, Soo-Jung S. A study on self-management behavior and trait sport-confidence of junior - and high school table tennis players. [Unpublished Master’s Dissertation]. Yongin University; 2005. p. 1–62.
- Chase C, Melissa A, Feltz F, Deborah L. Active older adults’ attributions for success, commitment and motivation to participate in physical activities. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. 1996; 67(4):97–8.
- Vealey RS. Conceptualization of sport confidence and competitive orientation: Preliminary investigation and instrument development. Journal of Sport Psychology. 1986; 8(3|):221–46.
- Kim K, Ju-Young Y. The influence of achievement goal orientation in high school boxers upon sports confidence and athletic performance. Korean Journal of Sports Science. 2013; 22(5):409–22.
- Kim K, Jong-Yi J, Ahn A, Yong-Duk Y. Effect of the self-control behavior and psychological skills of hockey players on self-confidence in sports. The Korean Journal of Sport. 2012; 10(3):89–102.
- Bass BM. Leadership and performance beyond expectations. NY: The Free Press; 2015.
- Lee L, Duck-Sung D, Sul S, Jin-Il J, Seok S, Kang-Hoon K. The relationship of trust in soft tennis instructors on players organizational commitment according to transformational and transactional leadership. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies. 2009; 35(1):373–85.
- Jung J, Sung-Woo S, Pyo P, Nae-Sook N. A study on the relationship between the leadership types of gymnastic coaches the self-confidence of gymnastic athletes. Korean Journal of Sport Psychology. 2009; 20(2): 99–111.
- Vealey RS. Sport-confidence and competitive orientation: An addendum on scoring procedure and gender differences. Journal of Sport Psychology. 1998; 10(1):471–8.
- Kim K, Byung-Tae B, Kim K, Seon-Eung S. Relations among the goal orientations, sports confidence and competitive state anxiety of Taekwondo players. The Journal of Korean Alliance of Martial Arts. 2010; 12(3):159–71.
- Song S, Eun-Il E, Choi C, Chun C. The effects of self-management by University Taekwondo players on the sports confidence and vocational identity. Korean Journal of Sports Science. 2015; 24(2):331–42.
- Chelladurai C, Saleh S. Preferred leadership in sports. Canadian Journal of Sports in Sports. Canadian Journal of Sports Sciences. 1978; 12(1):106–10.
- Weinberg R, Gould D. Foundation of sport and exercise psychology.Champaign, IL: Kinetics; 1995.
- Wiley NJ , Bandura NA. Self-efficacy. 1994.
- Yu Y, Su-Jong S. The analysis of coach’s leadership type of Taekwondo players. [Unpublished Master’s Dissertation]. Ulsan University: 2003.
- Kim K, Won-Young W. The effect of basketball coaches’ instructional behavior types on athletes’ satisfaction and performance. [Unpublished Master’s Dissertation]. Kyungsung University; 2008.
- Kim K, Won-Bae W, Hong H, Jun-Hee J. The differences between high school and university elite athletes in sport-confidence’s building. Korean Journal of Sport Psychology. 2001; 12(1):35–50.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.