Total views : 254
Impacts of Windsurfing Instructors’ Mentoring on Achievement Goal Orientation and Sports
Background/Objectives: This research was conducted with the aim of investigating the effects of mentoring by windsurfing instructors on achievement goal orientation and sports performance satisfaction and to provide the basic data for enhancing athletic performance of the athletes that can be applied in practice. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The targets of this study were windsurfing athletes in 2015, a total number of 135. The data process of this study was conducted using exploratory factor analysis, reliability tests, correlation analysis and multiple regression analysis. The results of this research are as follows. Findings: First, the correlation between the mentoring of windsurfing instructors and achievement goal orientation showed a positive correlation in all of the sub-factors. The correlation between mentoring and sports performance satisfaction showed a positive correlation with the career development function and the role model function had a positive correlation with individual performance satisfaction. The psychological society function showed positive correlations only with team performance satisfaction. Second, the role model function in the mentoring of windsurfing instructors had a significantly positive effect on the assignment goal trait and the self-goal trait. Third, the role model function in the mentoring of windsurfing instructors had a significantly positive effect on the individual performance satisfaction. Novelty/Improvement: The research results show that the mentoring of windsurfing instructors has a positive effect on the achievement goal orientation and sports performance satisfaction of the athletes. Especially, the role model function that conveys the appropriate behavior, attitude and value as if from a bearer had a positive effect on the achievement goal orientation and sports performance satisfaction of the athletes. Therefore, an effective mentoring method to enhance athletic performance through achievement goal orientation and sports performance satisfaction of the athletes is the role model function.
Achievement Goal, Emotional, Instructor, Mentoring, Orientation, Windsurfing.
- Kim K, Jeong-Mee J. A study on the visual image of windsurfing suits. The Society of Fashion and Textile Industry. 2012; 14(5):713–9.
- Jun J, Jong-Kui J. Wind Surfing. Seoul: Daehanmedia Press; 2000.
- Kim K, Jin-Ho J, Kim K, Ki-Chan K, Lee L. In-Wha. Application and effect of psychological skills training program for archers. The Korean Journal of Sport. 2013; 11(1):113–24.
- Lee JHJ. The relationships among self-management, performance and leadership gymnastic coach’s. The Korean Journal of Sport. 2011; 9(4):71–9.
- Jeong J, Sung-Chul S. Mentoring type of soccer coaches and players’ achievement goal orientation, sport self-confidence and relationship of self-management behaviors. [Unpublished Master’s Dissertation]. Woosuk University; 2012. p. 1–60.
- Park P, Tae-Su T. A study of the mentoring and organizational effectiveness in sport organizations. [Unpublished Doctor Dissertation]. Hanyang University. 2007; 48(2):132– 44.
- Seo S, Young-Sik Y. Case study on the experienced of college mentoring in students players. [Unpublished Master’s Dissertation]. Korea National University of Education; 2012.
- Jones R, Harris R, Miles A. Mentoring in sports coaching: A review of the literature. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy. 2009; 14(3):267–84.
- Yu Y, Seung-Won S. The relationship between achievement goal orientation, internal motivation and teaching effectiveness according to coaching style of golf instructor. [Unpublished Doctor Dissertation]. Yongin University. 2007; 52(2):112–20.
- Robert GC. Motivation in sport and exercise: Constraints and conceptual convergence. Motivation in Sport and Exercise. Champaign, IL. Human Kinetics; 1992; 18:264– 80.
- Robert GC, Duda JL. Motivation in sport: The mediating role of perceived ability. Journal of Sport Psychology. 1984; l6(1):312–24.
- Lee L, Seong-Hee S. Analysis of causal model on mentoring experiences and sports achievement of secondary school athletes. Korean Journal of Sociology of Sport. 2009; 22(2):95–114.
- Choi C, Myung-Soo M, Kim K, Su-Yeon S. The relationship among achievement goal orientation and self management intervention by mentoring of Taekwondo leaders. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies. 2011; 43(1):525–35.
- Kim K, Se-Woong S, Chang C, Kyung-Ro K. The impact of mentoring on athletes’ satisfaction and commitment. The Korean Journal of Physical Education. 2005; 44(6):697–707.
- Noe RA. An investigation of the determinants of successful assigned mentoring relationships. Personnel Psychology. 1988; 41(3):457–79.
- Dreher G, Ash RA. A comparative study of mentoring among men and women in managerial, professional and technical positions. Journal of Applied Psychology. 1990; 75|(1):539–46.
- Jeon J, Ik-Ki I. The effect of mentoring to the organizational culture and effectiveness in TaeKwonDo academy. Korean Journal of Sports Science. 2009; 18(1):533–48.
- Lee L, Seung-Hee S. Relations of mentoring experience to self-management and sports performance satisfaction among highschool student athletes. The Korean Journal of Physical Education. 2010; 49(5):13–24.
- Duda D, Nicholls N. The task and ego orientation in sport questionnaire: Psychometric Proberties. [Unpublished manuscript]; 1989. p. 1–13.
- Min M, Hyang-Sook H. Effect of goal orientation of female dance major college students to intrinsic motivation and class satisfaction. Korean Journal of Dance Education. 2012; 12(1):37–49.
- Riemer HA, Chelladurai P. Development of the Athlete Satisfaction Questionnaire (ASQ). Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology. 1998; 20(1):127–56.
- Park P, Jung-Gil J, Moon M, Ik-Soo M, Yoo Y, Jung-In J. A structural validation of the Korean version of athlete satisfaction scale for collegiate athletes. Korean Journal of Sport Psychology. 2008; 19(3):75–97.
- Wilson W, Elman E. Organizational benefits of mentoring. Academy of Management Executive. 1990; 4(1):88–94.
- Kram KE. Phases of the mentoring relationship. Academy of Management Journal. 1983; 26(4):608–25.
- Choi C, Sang-Jun S. To examine effect of Taekwondo coach’s mentoring on player’s achievement goal orientation, sports confidence and self-management intervention. [Unpublished Doctor Dissertation]. Kyunghee University; 2010. p. 5819–28.
- Park P, Byung-Hun B. A study on coach-athlete relationship perceived by athletes and structural relations between selfregulation motivation and athletic satisfaction. The Korean Journal of Physical Education. 2011; 50(6):197–210.
- Kim K, Se-Woong S. Impacts of mentoring on athletes’ satisfaction and intentions to dropout. [Unpublished Doctor Dissertation]. Sungkyunkwan University; 2005.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.