Total views : 203
The Development and Testing the Effects of Pre-Clinical Placement Program
Background/Objectives: This study was to develop a pre-clinical placement program and evaluate its effect for the second year nursing students. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A non-randomized control trial study was used. A total of 106 students participated in experimental group, attending the pre-clinical placement program, which consist of 8 hours of clinical practice after completion of fundamental nursing subject. Control group, 109 students, attended the standards education course. Both groups completed pre/post-test measure of self-efficacy, communication competency, and self-directed learning competency. The differences of main variables between groups were analyzed by t-test using SPSS program. Findings: Results showed that the mean difference of self-efficacy in nursing practice (t = -0.83, p = 0.41), communication competence (t = -0.19, p = 0.85), and SDL competence (t = -0.01, p = 0.99) between pre-test and post-test was not significant. However, the variable of self-efficacy in nursing practice and the mean score for several items such as 'nursing diagnoses' (t = 2.66, p = .01), 'physical examination' (t = 3.58, p<.001), and 'self-care education' (t = 3.11, p<.001) were significantly changed in the experimental group. Moreover, the experimental group had significant improvement in self-efficacy in aspects of nursing such as diagnosis (t = 2.66, p = 0.01), physical examination (t = 3.58, p<0.001), and self-care education (t = 3.11, p<0.001) compared to the control group. Application/Improvements: The PCP program was effective in improving multiple self-efficacies in nursing practice, such as defining nursing diagnoses, physical examination, and patient education.
Clinical Practice, Communication, Nursing Students, Self-Directed Learning, Trial.
- Lee EK, Park JA. Ego-resilience and the clinical competence of nursing students. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing. 2008; 27(2):293–303.
- Yoo MS. The effectiveness of standardized patient managed instruction for a fundamental nursing course. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2001; 7(1):94–112.
- Kang KS, Song YA, Choi EY. Clinical application of objective structured clinical examinations for nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2009; 15(2):175–82.
- Han SH, Yu HS. College woman’s self-leadership, stress of clinical practice and self disclosure in an area. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2012; 18(1):130–9.
- Lee HS, Kim EJ. The comparison of stress coping and satisfaction with clinical practice according to the grade of nursing college student. Journal of East-West Nursing Research. 2008; 14(1):5–13.
- Kim IS, Jang YK, Park SH, Song SH. Critical thinking disposition, stress of clinical practice and clinical competence of nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2011; 17(3):337–45.
- Kim YH. Relationship of self-efficacy, self-directedness and practice satisfaction to clinical practice education in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2009; 16(3):307–15.
- Han JJ. Satisfaction of clinical practice and self-efficacy if clinical practice in nursing students�[������ ���� ��� Unpublished�thesis]. Seoul: Ewha Womans University; 2012.
- Park HS, Han JY. Factors influencing clinical competence in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2013; 20(4):438–48.
- Jho MY. An analysis of research on nursing practice education in Korea. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2010; 16(2):239–48.
- Kim KH, Chang SO, Kang HS, Kim KS, Kim JI, Kim HS. Content and educational needs for fundamental nursing practice. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2011; 18(4):365–72.
- Chang SO, Won JS, Park JH, Lee HS, Park HS, Lim SY, et al. A preliminary study on the standardization of fundamental nursing practice education. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2014; 21(4):446–56.
- Song KA, Park HJ, Yeom HA, Lee JE, Joo GE, Kim HJ. The development and evaluation of a new educational program, introduction to clinical nursing, for third year nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2012; 19(3):322–33.
- Kim YH. Nursing students’ performance and confidence in basic nursing skills after the completion of clinical practice: Focused on basic nursing skills of low performance [Unpublished thesis]. Daegu: Kemyung university; 2002.
- Kim IS, Choi YA. Experiences on the fundamental nursing practices in clinical nursing practices. Journal of Gimcheon Science college. 2002; 28(1):63–70.
- Lee SH. Effect of clinical practice orientation program on anxiety, self-esteem and self-efficacy in college students in nursing. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nurisng. 2008; 15(4):539–47.
- Ahn EK. A model for clinical nurses’ self-efficacy and work performance [Unpublished doctoral dissertation]. Deajeon: Chungnam National University; 2000.
- Hur JH. Consultation and validation of a global interpersonal communication competence scale. Korean Journal of Journalism and Communication Studies. 2013; 47(3):380–426.
- Kim CJ, Kim KS, Yoo KO, Yoo GH. A study on development of self-directed learning readiness scale for primary school teachers and its application. Korean Journal of Adults and Continuing Education. 1996; 2(1):1–25.
- Gysels M, Richardson A, Higginson IJ. Communication training for health professionals who care of patients with cancer: A systematic review of training method. Support Care Cancer. 2005; 13(1):356–66.
- Dalen JV, Bartholomeus P, Kerkhofs E, Lulofs R, van Thiel J, Rethans J-J, et al. Teaching and assessing communication skills in Maastricht: The first twenty years. Medical teacher. 2001; 23(3):245–51.
- Kim YH, Yang JH, Ahn SY, Song SY, Roh HR. Communication skills improvement of medical students according to length and methods of preclinical training. Korean Journal of Medical Education. 2009; 21(1):3–16.
- Kim YJ. Study on subjectivity of adaptive department of nursing student. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(20):1–5.
- Park JK, Hahn SW. The relationship between communication and nursing performance in simulation-based team learning. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(26):1–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.