Total views : 365
The Factors Affecting Nursing Students’ Career Preparation Behavior: Focusing on Participation in a Self-Leadership Program
Background/Objectives: This study aimed to determine the factors affecting career preparation behavior among self-leadership, self-efficacy, and college life adjustment in nursing students. Methods/Statistical Analysis: We conducted a survey of 254 students in nursing college from September, 2014 to October, 2015. The data were analyzed with descriptive statistics, t-tests, χ2-tests of independence, and hierarchical linear regression analyses using SPSS/Win 21.0 software. Findings: The study found a positive correlation and significant direct effects between self-leadership, self-efficacy, career preparation behavior and college life adjustment. Participation inself-leadership program variable explained 5.2%, self-leadership variable explained 14% and college life adjustment and self-efficacy variables explained 22.3% of career preparation behavior. Therefore, self-leadership of students can improve self-efficacy, furthermore, improve ultimately college life adjustment. Improvements/Applications: According to this study, to improve college life adjustmentof nursing students, education program related to self-leadership training should be considered and reflected in nursing curriculum.
Career Preparation Behavior, Nursing, Self-Leadership, Student.
- Kim EA. Developing a prediction model regarding adjustment of nursing students to college life [Dissertation]. Kwangju: Chonnam National University; 2011.
- Park JW, Ha NS. Nursing students’ clinical experiences. Journal of Korean Academy Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing. 2003; 12(1):27–35.
- Whang SJ. The relationship between clinical stress, self-efficacy, and self-esteem of nursing college students. Journal of Korean Academic Society Nursing Education. 2006; 12(2):205–13.
- Kelly N, Shoemaker M, Steele T. The experience of being a male student nurse. Journal of Nursing Education. 1996; 35:170–74.
- Kim BW, Kim KH. Career decision level and career preparation behaviour of the college students, counseling and psychotherapy. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy,1997, 19, pp. 311–33.
- Lee SJ, Jeong IH, Lee YJ, Kang YJ. Factors influencing career preparation behaviours during career decision- Case study on students majoring in dental technology. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(S1):68–73.
- Lee MS. Analysis of relationship amongcareer self-efficacy, career barriers perception, and career preparation behavior of college students [Dissertation]. Jeonju: CheonbukUniversity; 2003.
- You MJ, Choi AK. Impact of career barriers and career decision-making, self-efficacy on the career preparation behavior- Focused on college students majoring in secretarial science.The Journal of Business Education. 2008; 19:129–53.
- Lee JC, Hong AJ. Difference and impact of university students' personal characteristics on self-leadership, career decision-making self-efficacy, career preparation behavior, and employability. The Korean Journal of Human Resource Development. 2013; 15(3):215–45. Available from: http://kiss.kstudy.com/journal/thesis_name.asp?key=3161133#
- Lee JS, Kim KA. The influence of university student's self-leadership on the employment strategies. Korean Family Resource Management Association. 2012; 16(2):19–39.
- Yoon MH, Lee CH. Impacts of emotional leadership, self-efficacy and self-image of employees on organizational effectiveness. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(S7):512–19.
- Manz CC. Mastering self-leadership, Empowering yourself for personal excellence. 2nd ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall; 1998.
- Accreditation for Bachelor degree in department of nursing. Seoul: Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education. Issued number: 2014-10-01-01. p. 11. Available from: http://kabon.or.kr/kabon02/150112_a.pdf
- Lee D, Oleon EA, Locke B, Micheleon ST, Odes E. The effects of college counseling services on academic performances and retention. Journal of College Student Development. 2009; 50(3):305–19.
- Lee HY. Parenting behavior and adjustment to college: Moderating effect of cultural dispositions. Journal of North- East Asian Cultures. 2008; 14:337–55.
- Rowe CA, Walker KL, Britton PC, Hirsch JK. The relationship between negative life events and suicidal behavior: Moderating role of basic psychological needs. Crisis. 2013; 34(4):233–41.
- Eisenberg D, Gollust SE, Golberstein E, Hefner JL. Prevalence and correlates of depression, anxiety, and suicidality among university students. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry; 2007; 77:534–42. DOI: 10.1037/0002-9422.214.171.1244.
- Deb AA. Resilience and academic achievement among adolescents. Journal-Indian Academy of Applied Psychology. 2012; 38(1):93–101.
- Young A. Effects of stress resiliency and psychological empowerment on nursing student success. Southern Nursing Research Society Conference; Available from: http://www.resourcenter.net/images/SNRS/Files/2009/AnnMtg/AbstractProceedings/data/papers/347.pdf
- Choi DS, Jyung CY. The relationship between career exploration behavior and motivational factors and attachment of undergraduate students [Dissertation]. Seoul: Seoul National University; 2003.
- Kim BK, Jyung CY. The casual relationship among career decision-making self-efficacy, self-leadership, problem solving ability, and career motivation. Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development. 2012; 44(2):49–71. Available from: http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE01905819
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. NJ: Lawrence Earlbaum Associates; 1988.
- Shin YK, Kim MS, Han YS. A study on the validation of the Korean version of the Revised Self-Leadership Questionnaire (RSLQ) for Korean college students. The Korean Journal of School Psychology. 2009; 6(3):313–40.
- Houghton JD, Neck CP. The revised self-leadership questionnaire: Testing a hierarchical factor structure for self-leadership. Journal of Managerial Psychology. 2002; 17(8):672–91. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/02683940210450484
- Oh KS. Nursing concept. Seoul: Yeonsei University; 1993.
- Sherer M, Maddux JE, Mercandante B, Prentice-Dunn S, Jacobs B, Rogers RW. The self-efficacy scale: Construction and validation. Pshychological reports. 1982; 51:663–71. DOI: 10.2466/pr0.19126.96.36.1993.
- Jeong EI, Park YH. Development and validation of the college adjustment scale. The Korean Journal of Educational Methodology studies. 2009; 21(2):69–92.
- Nam KY, Kim KA. Influence of adolescent`s self-leadership on the career preparation behavior. The Journal of Korea Youth. 2011; 18(7):85–113.
- Lee YS, Park SH, Kim JK. Nursing students’ self-leadership, self-efficacy, interpersonal relation, college life satisfaction. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2014; 14(6):229–40.
- Kim SR. The influence of parent support, career decision-making self-efficacy and dysfunctional career thoughts on adolescents' career development [Dissertation]. Seoul; Hongik University; 2005.
- Song YS, Song HJ. A study on influence of a local university student's self-efficacy, career decision level, and career attitude maturity on career preparation behavior. Korean Association For Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction. 2015; 15(3):21–42.
- Lee EW. Impacts of the affective intelligence, self-efficacy and psychological wellbeing of university students on the college life adaptation [Master’s thesis]. Daegu: KeimyungUniversity; 2005.
- Rankin B. Emotional intelligence: Enhancing values-based practice and compassionate care in nursing. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2013; 69(12):2717–25.
- Park SY. The affection of self-efficacy and self-esteem on the college life adjustment [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Sookmyung Women's University; 2003.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.