Total views : 209
A Simulation Study of Prehospital Airway using Mannequins: A Comparison of E.T. Tube, L.M.A. Classic, S.A.L.T
Background/Objectives: This study aims to evaluate usefulness of different airway devices by comparative analyzing intubation success rate and conduct time in the ambulance while driving and in indoor using mannequins. Methods/Statistical Analysis: It was conducted by placing three mannequins to floor of desk with height of patients' bed while 1 emergency rescue professor and 1 fire fighter stand in front of 1 student who participates in assessment and 1 student who assists the assessment standing in front of each mannequin. Upon completion of first assessment, intubation practice taking place during the transfer was conducted with the use of ambulance. Findings: The result from the indoor performance demonstrates that intubation success rate except for the intubation conduct time and the total conduct time are comparable statistically. However, the result from the performance in the ambulance while driving shows a statistically significant difference in intubation success rate, the intubation conduct time, and the total conduct time. In addition, the preference survey of airway devices conducted by 60 participants of this study shows LMA-Classic is the most preferred. Application/Improvements: It was study which conducts comparative experiment only on airway devices such as three devices, it is proposed that comparative study with various airway devices and others shall be conducted.
Endotracheal Tube, Intubation, Laryngeal Mask Airway, Supra-glottic Airway Laryngopharyngeal Tube.
- Work range of paramedic [Internet]. [Cited 2015 Nov 15]. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/lsBylInfoR.do?bylSeq =4661830&lsiSeq=132927.
- Eun SJ, Kim H, Jung KY, Cho KH, Kim Y. Prospective multicenter evaluation of prehospital care by 119 rescue services. Journal of Korean Society of Emergency Medicine. 2007 Jun; 18(1):367–89.
- Rescue and first aid activity results [Internet]. [Cited 2014 Jun 08]. Available from: http://www.nema.go.kr/.
- Stiell S, Ma M, Prekker P. Denver metro airway study group. A prospective multi-center evaluation of prehospital airway management performance in a large metropolitan region. Prehospital Emergency Care. 2009 Jul; 13(3):304– 10.
- Kim YL, Lee HY, Kim GW, Jo HS, Jung JH. Comparative study of prehospital airway devices tested using a manikin model: a comparison of the Laryngeal Mask Airway Classic (LMA Classic), Cobra Perilaryngeal Airway (Cobra PLA) and the King Laryngeal Tube (King LT). Journal of Korean Society of Emergency Medicine. 2010 Dec; 21(6):776–82.
- Turan A, Kaya G, Koyuncu O, Karamanlioglu B, Pamukcu Z. Comparison of the Laryngeal Mask (LMA) and Laryngeal Tube (LT) with the new Perilaryngeal Airway (CobraPLA) in short surgical procedures. European Journal of Anaesthesiology. 2006 Mar; 23(3):234–8.
- Orf J, Thomas SH, Ahmed W, Wiebe L, Chamberlin P, Wedel S. Appropriateness of endotracheal tube size and insertion in children undergoing air medical transport. Pediatric Emergency Care. 2000 Oct; 16(5):321–7.
- Conrardy PA, Goodman LR, Lainge F, Singer MM. Alternation of endotracheal tube position: Flextion and extension of the neck. Critical Care Medicine. 1976 Jan; 4(1):8–12.
- Owen RL, Cheney FW. Endobronchial intubation; a preventable complication. Anesthesiology. 1987 Aug; 67:255–7.
- Choi OK, Lee SH, Chung SP, Jung KY. Proper depth of placement of endotracheal intubation in korean. Journal of Korean Society of Emergency Medicine. 1995 Jun; 6(1):220–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.