Total views : 287
Estimation of the Pesticides Transfer Rate during the Preparation of the Oriental Herbal Drug Materials
Background/Objectives: The residual pesticide problem even in Herbal Medicinal Materials (HDMs) has increasingly brought concerns to the patients (consumers). Methods/Statistical Analysis: For the estimation of pesticides' exposure to consumers via herbal drugs, it must be required that the transfer rates (TRs%) of the residual pesticides from raw to the final herbal drug, occurring via processing steps, be determined. The TRs% of 13 pesticides belonging to 6 groups were investigated from 7 HDMs by employing independent drying and/or decoction steps. Residues were quantitated in dried HDMs and decoctions using GC-ECD. Findings: The fate of the pesticide in the HDM (after drying and decoction) was mainly dependent on the nature of the pesticide, and not on the nature of the HDM. However, among the five HDMs, Daechu showed the most universal holding capability for the all tested pesticides even after drying process. The low cumulative average TR% (up to 0.4%), of drying and decoction, was obtained from mevinphos, chlorpyrifos, p,p'-DDE and diazinon, whereas chlorfenapyr (34.3%), bifenthrin (54.3%) and fenvalerate (56.7%) had high cumulative average TR%. Improvements/Application: This TR% s of residual pesticides shall be used for the establishment of sound and cost-effective HDMs management system in the future.
Decoction, Drying, Fate, Herbal Drug Materials, Pesticides, Transfer rate.
- An empirical study for the growth of Korean traditional medicine industry. Osong, Korea: Korea Health Industry Development Institute report, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_medicine , Data accessed: 2013.
- WHO Traditional Medicine Strategy 2002-2005. http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/pdf/s2297e/s2297e.pdf. Date accessed: 05/20/2016.
- Zhang Q, Liming Z, Lerberghe WVD. The importance of traditional Chinese medicine services in health care provision in China. Universitas Forum. 2011 July; 2(1):1−8.
- Oh CH. Monitoring of residual pesticides in herbal drug materials of Korea and China. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 2009 January; 82(6):639−43.
- Oh CH. Volatile profile comparison for the Astragali Radix according to drying methods. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 October; 8(26):1−7.
- Guidelines for predicting dietary intake of pesticide residues (revised). http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/chem/en/pesticide_en.pdf?ua=1. Date accessed: 05/20/2016.
- Maguire JR. Kinetics of pesticide volatilization from the surface of water. Journal of Agricultural Food and Chemistry. 1991 September; 39(9):1674−78.
- Tewary DK, Kumar V, Shanker A. Leaching of pesticides in herbal decoction. Chemical Health and Safety. 2004 July; 11(4):25−29.
- Chlorpyrifos Technical Fact Sheet. http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/archive/chlorptech.html. Date accessed: 05/20/2016.
- Sunito LR, Shiu WY, Mackay D, Seiber JN. Critical review of Henry's law constants for pesticides. In: Reviews of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. G.W. Ware (ed.), Springer: New York; 1988. 103, p. 1−59.
- Ozbey A, Uygun U. Behaviour of some organophosphorus pesticide residues in peppermint tea during the infusion process. Food Chemistry. 2007 January; 104(1): 237−41.
- JMPR. Pesticide residues in food report 2000. In: The report of the Joint Meeting of the FAO Panel of Pesticide Residues (JMPR) in Food and the Environment and the WHO Core Assessment Group on Pesticide Residues, 20-29 September 2000, Geneva, Switzerland. Rome; 2001. p. 56.
- Goetz P. Demonstration of the psychotropic effect of mother tincture of Zizyphus jujube. Phytotherapie. 2009 February; 7(1):31−36.
- Jujube Explained. http://everything.explained.today/Jujube/. Date accessed: 05/21/2016.
- Jujube. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jujube#cite_note-GRIN-3. Date accessed: 05/21/2016.
- Brown D. Encyclopedia of Herbs and Their Uses. DK Publishing: New York, 1995.
- Coulibaly K, Smith JS. Thermo stability of organophosphate pesticides and some of their major metabolites in water and beef muscle. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 1993 October; 41(10):1719−23.
- EXTOXNET. Pesticide Information Profile. Mevinphos. http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/metiram-propoxur/mevinphos-ext.html. Date accessed: 05/21/2016.
- National Pesticide Information Center, Diazinon Technical Fact Sheet. http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/archive/diazinontech.html. Date accessed: 05/21/2016.
- Lee JT. Research on intake of Chinese medicine by Korean. Research project report. KFDA: Seoul, 2006.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.