Total views : 277
A Study of Postural Sway according to the Wedge Direction during one Leg Standing
Background/Objectives: Equilibrium is the ability to maintain the Center Of Gravity (COG) in their Base Of Support (BOS) and the human body to maintain balance. The purpose of this study is to healthy adults when wearing medial/lateral wedge, ankle posture was to evaluate the effect of the dynamic balance. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This study elected a healthy adult male 14, female 26 people that have no physical balance due to musculoskeletal and neurologic abnormalities, ankle instability. Tetrax interactive balance system was maintained for 30 seconds on each surface (plane surface, lateral wedge, medial wedge) on the one leg standing position. Tetrax interactive balance system results through the General Stability Index (GST), Weight Distribution Index (WDI), weight distribution was collected. Data was analyzed the within surface in comparison paired t-test and the between surface in comparison one-way ANalysis Of VAriance (ANOVA). Findings: In the comparison between each floor, there were significant differences in weight distribution index (p<.05), in visual conditions change between the stability index was a significant difference (p<.05). Weight distribution difference of left and right were significant differences between the medial wedge and flat from the eyes open (p<.05), The eyes-closed state was a significant difference in medial wedge, flat and medial wedge, lateral wedge(p<.05). Therefore, closing one's eye is considered during dynamic balance training to get the effect of improving result. Application/Improvements: Therefore, closing one's eye is considered during dynamic balance training to get the effect of improving result.
Dynamic Balance, Lateral Wedge, Medial Wedge, One Leg Standing, Weight Distribution.
- Romero-Franco N, Martinez-Lopez EJ, Lomas-Vega R, Hita-Contreras F, Osuna-Perez MC, Martinez-Amat A. Short-term effects of proprioceptive training with unstable platform on athletes’ stabilometry. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2013; 27(8):2189−97.
- Prata MG, Scheicher ME. Correlation between balance and the level of functional independence among elderly people. Sao Paulo Medical Journal. 2012;130(2):97−101.
- Cho KH, Bok SK, Kim YJ, Hwang SL. Effect of lower limb strength on falls and balance of the elderly. Annals of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2012; 36(3):386−93.
- Huang SC, Lu TW, Chen HL, Wang TM, Chou LS. Age and height effects on the center of mass and center of pressure inclination angles during obstacle-crossing. Medical Engineering and Physics. 2008; 30(8):968−75.
- Doyle RJ, Hsiao-Wecksler ET, Ragan BG, Rosengren KS. Generalizability of center of pressure measures of quiet standing. Gait and Posture. 2007; 25(2):166−71.
- Shumway-Cook A, Horak F. Balance rehabilitation in the neurologic patient: course syllabus Seattle. NERA; 1992.
- Goldie PA, Bach TM, Evans OM. Force platform measures for evaluating postural control: reliability and validity. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 1989; 70(7):510−17.
- Shumway-Cook A, Woollacott MH. Motor control: Theory and practical applications. 1st Ed. Baltimore, Williams and Wilkins; 1995. p.119−206.
- Norre ME. Sensory interaction testing in platform posturography. The Journal of Laryngology and Otology. 1993;107(06):496−501.
- Shumway-Cook A, Horak FB. Vestibular rehabilitation: an exercise approach to managing symptoms of vestibular dysfunction, Seminars in Hearing; 1989.10, p. 196.
- Shumway-Cook A, Horak FB. Assessing the influence of sensory interaction on balance: suggestion from the field. Phys Ther. 1986; 66:1548−50.
- Jang GY, Woo HS. Fall prevention occupational therapy applied to women aged Effects on ability to balance. Korea Digital Contents Society. 2010;10(3):233−40.
- Kim YH, Gim NG, Cha EJ. A Comparative study of the quantitative Evaluation and clinical indices of postural balance control using footplate. Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine. 1995;19(4):782−92.
- Kim H, Shim J. Comparison of Foot Pressure on Forward and Backward Walking in the Adults. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(27). DOI:10.17485/ ijst/2015/v8i27/81706
- Lee NG. Effects of the abdominal drawing-in maneuver (ADIM) on core and postural stability in adults with core instability. Yonsei Graduate University; 2010.
- Perry J, Thorofare KS, Davids JR, Gait analysis: normal and pathological function. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 1992; 12(6):815.
- Gottschalk F, Kourosh S, Leveau B. The functional anatomy of the tensor fasciae latae and gluteus medius and minimus. J Anat. 1989;166:179−89.
- Chang KY, Chon SC. The effect of abdominal-com pression belt on balance ability with one leg standing. Journal of Ergonomics Society of Korea. 2012; 31(2):337−43.
- Kim T-G, Park J-C. Relationship between Balance and Isokinetic Strength of Ankle Joint by Playing Position of Elite Female Field Hockey Players. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(19):1.
- Levangie PK, Norkin CC. Joint structure and function: a comprehensive analysis 5th ed. Davis Co.; 2001.
- Shumsway-cook A, Woollacott MH. Motor control: translating research into clinical practice, 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Williams & Wilkins; 2007. 3(83).
- Ko YM, Jung MS, Park JW. The relationship between strength balance and joint position sense related to ankle joint in healthy women. J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2011; 23:23−29.
- Ryu JS, Yoo SH, Park SK, Yoon SH. Comparisons between skilled and less-skilled players’ balance in hakdariseogi. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics. 2012; 22(1):55−63.
- Kogler GF, Veer FB, Solomonidis SE, et al. The influence of medial and lateral placement of orthotic wedges on loading of the plantar aponeurosis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1999; 81(10):1403.
- Murray MP, Kory RC, Clarkson BH. Walking patterns in healthy old men. J Geronto. 1969; 24(2):169−78.
- Yu WG, Lee HJ, Lee CH. Lateral, medial wedge and difference in each quadriceps impact on the vastus medialis, vastus lateralis. Korean Research Society of Physical Therapy. 2005;12(2):11−9.
- Hong J, Kim M, Jung D, Lim O, Yi C. Effects of medial wedge on muscle activity of lower limb in healthy adults during one leg standing. Yonsei University Health Sciences Subjects. 2011; 18(2):60−66.
- Kohen-Raz R. Application of tetraataxiametric posturography in clinical and developmental diagnosis. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 1991; 73(2):635−56.
- Jeka J, Kiemel T, Creath R, Horak F, Peterka R. Controlling human upright posture: velocity information is more accurate than position or acceleration. Journal of Neurophysiology. 2004; 92(4):2368−79.
- Ganesan M, Lee YJ, Aruin AS. The effect of lateral or medial wedges on control of postural sway in standing. Gait and Posture. 2014; 39(3):899−903.
- Hwang S, Agada P, Kiemel T, Jeka JJ. Dynamic reweighting of three modalities for sensor fusion. PloS one. 2014; 9(1).
- Kim GH, Tak JY, Lim HH, Jeong HS, Woo YK. Effects of various sensory stimulation on surface area and velocity of center of pressure during one leg standing in healthy adults. College of Medical Science. 2015; 22(3):41−49.
- Hazime FA, Allard P, Ide MR, Siqueira CM, Amorim CF, Tanaka C. Postural control under visual and proprioceptive perturbations during double and single limb stances: insights for balance training. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies. 2012;16(2):224−29.
- Lee JG, Gim JI, bak HM. Dizziness. Danguk University publishing department; 2007. p. 61−75.
- Tropp H, Odenrick P. Postural control in single-limb stance. J Orthop. Res. 1988; 6(6):833-39.
- Kakihana W, Akai M, Yamasaki N, Takashima T, Nakazawa K. Changes of joint moments in the gait of normal subjects wearing laterally wedged insole. Am. J. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2004; 83(4):273−78.
- Yang MS, Kim YJ, Choe GS, Gim MJ. Effects of the lateral wedge standing postural balance in patients with inside arthritis degenerative. Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2007; 31(3).
- Ryu TB, Che BG, Choe HS, Jeong MG. Heel the outer sloping effects of insoles on plantar pressure. Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers. 2008; 34(1):90−97.
- Ahn E, Kwon M, Na S, Ryu T, Chung MK, Choi HS. The effects of the wedged Insoles on ankle and knee Joint during gait. Proceeding of the Spring Conference of the Ergonomics Society of Korea; 2005. p. 45−8.
- Bates BT, Osternig LR, Mason B, James LS. Foot orthotic devices to modify selected aspects of lower extremity mechanics. The American Journal of Sports Medicine. 1979; 7(6):338−42.
- Cerny K. Vastus medialis oblique/vastus lateralis muscle activity ratios for selected exercises in persons with and without patellofemoral pain syndrome. Phys. Ther. 1995; 75(8):672−83.
- Schamberger W, Samorodin FT, Webster C. The malalignment syndrome. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 2002.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.