Total views : 192
Design of a Broadband HEMT Mixer for UWB Applications
Background/Objectives: Microwave mixer is a crucial element in virtually all transmits and receives systems. Methods/Statistical analysis: In this paper, a novel distributed HEMT mixer with three layers is designed for Ultrawide-Band (UWB) receivers. We employ external capacitors in the proposed circuit to adjust the output phase shift between stages to equal the input phase shift. Findings: The simulation results show that the proposed structure, achieves vary broadband performances in Converstion Gain, Power Consumption and LO-RF Isolation, comparable to the recent reported cascode or dual-gate distributed mixers. With a local oscillator power of 12 dBm and RF power of -20 dBm, our mixer has a Conversion Gain of 0 ~ 4 dB (without IF signal amplification), LO-to-RF isolation better than 32 dB and 130 mW DC power consumption over bandwith 5-25 GHz. Applications/Improvements: In our scheme, an intermediate layer is considered to increase LO-RF Isolation and improve the Converstion Gain criterion. Moreover, Microstrip lines are used to form the artificial gate and drain transmission lines as well as phase equalization of the signal on drain transmission line.
Distributed Mixer, HEMT Mixer, Millimeter-Wave (MMW), Ultra-Wideband, Wireless Communication.
- Hema N, Kidav JU, Lakshmi B. VLSI architecture for broadband MVDR beamformer. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(19):1-10.
- Chiu CH, Liang KH, Chang HY, Chan YJ. A 3-34 GHz GaAs PHEMT distributed mixer with low dc power consumption. IEEE Compound Semiconductor Integrated Circuit Symposium (CSIC’06); San Antonio, TX. 2006. p. 73–6.
- Ko W, Kwon Y. A GaAs-based 3-40 GHz distributed mixer with cascode FET cells. IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits (RFIC) Symposium, Systems Digest of Papers; 2004. p. 413-6.
- Fujii K, Morkner H. A 6-30 GHz image-rejection distributed resistive mmic mixer in a low cost surface mount package. IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest; 2005. p. 37-40.
- Kallfass I, Purtova T, Brokmeier A, Ludwig W, Schumacher H. One single travelling-wave MMIC for highly linear broadband mixers and variable gain amplifiers. IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest; 2005. p. 97-100.
- Phan K, Fujii K, Morkner H, Rixon A. An integrated low noise amplifier and image-rejection mixer in a surface mount package for low cost 10-22 GHz applications. European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference; 2006. p. 122–5.
- Yammouch T, Fukuda S, Yammouch T, Ito H. Small-area CMOS RF distributed mixer using multi-port inductors. Asaia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASPDAC’08); Seoul. 2008. p. 105–6.
- Chang FC, Wu PS, Lei MF, Wang H. A 4–41 GHz singly balanced distributed mixer using GaAs pHEMT technology. IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters. 2007; 17(2):136–8.
- Howard TS, Pavio AM. A distributed 1-12 GHz dual-gate FET mixer. IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest; 1986. p. 329–32.
- Tang OSA, Aitchison CS. A very wide-band microwave MESFET mixer using the distributed mixing principle. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques. 1985; 33(12):1470–8.
- Deng KL, Wang H. A 3-33 GHz PHEMT MMIC distributed drain mixer. IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits (RFIC) Symposium Digest of Papers; Seattle, WA, USA. 2002. p. 151–4.
- Safarian AQ, Yazdi A, Heydari P. Design and analysis of an ultrawide-band distributed CMOS mixer. IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems. 2005; 13(5):618–29.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.