Total views : 273
The Effect of Social Support on the Feeling of Happiness of Children Using Community Child Care Centers
Background/Objectives: This study aims to find the community care center children’s level of awareness of the social support including teachers at the centers and its influence on children’s feeling of happiness. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This research conducted a self-reported survey on 235 children in the 4th~6th grade in elementary school, who attend a community child care center in the city of Cheong-Ju, North Chung-cheong province. Questionnaires were filed in and collected by personal visit to 30 community child care centers in 4 districts in the city of Cheong-Ju from March 18 to April 4, 2015. To verify the influence of social support on children’s happiness, various analyses were conducted including analysis of frequency, independent sample t-test, Analysis Of Variance (ANOVA), correlation analysis and multiple regression analysis using basic statistical analysis SPSS 18.0. Findings: The result of analysis on the level of social support depending on children’s socio-demographic variables, female students perceived the social support of their teachers to be higher than male students and the higher grades are the more support they get from friends. Analysis on children’s feeling of happiness depending on socio-demographic variables - sex, grade at school, household financial status, time of communication, type of family and the period of using child care center - showed meaningful difference. In this study, in order to analyze the effect of social support for children using community child care center on their feeling of happiness, multiple regression analysis was conducted. Related variables are socio-demographic and social support. Application/Improvements: This study showed that children’s happiness is influenced by the level of support of their friends, family and center teachers. It implies that beyond the individual approach to the children using community child care centers, practical approaches are needed such as programs that incorporate children’s friendship and family relationship.
Community Child Care Center, Community Child Care Center Teacher, Elementary School, Feeling of Happiness, Social Support.
- Choi EH, Son YB, Kim HJ. A study on the experiences of children using community child care centers. Children and their Rights. 2008; 12(2):135–59.
- Kang SH. The meditated effects on power of character strengths to social supports noticed by a child and subjective well-being: focused on community child center. Master’s degree thesis Graduate School of Welfare in Sangmyung University. 2013; 27(1):151–65.
- Park YM. The effects of children from low income families' perceived social support on ego-resiliency and sociability : focused on community child center. [Master’s Degree Thesis]. Graduate School, Myungji University; 2010. p. 521–99.
- Jo YJ, Han JS. The effect of social support for children from low-income families on adaptation to school. The Korean Council for Children’s Rights. 2010; 14(4):541–62.
- The General Conditions of Korean Children. Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2013. Available from: www.wpro.who.int/health.../service_delivery_profile_republic_of_korea
- Baek MS. The effect of happiness of children on school adjustment: The mediating effects of social support. [Master’s Degree Thesis]. Graduate School of Education in Kyung-nam University; 2014. p. 1–114.
- Park HC, Kim SB, Hong DA. The effect of family’s function and social support that children perceive on the feeling of happiness. Korean Association of Family Relations. 2011; 16(3):167–93.
- Hyun CS. The mediating effects of social support and empowerment of the relationship between emotional regulation and happiness. [Doctor’s Degree Thesis]. Hong-ik University; 2010. p. 2016.
- Kim YS. Perception of happiness among health-related university students: Q methodological approach. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(1):161–8.
- Lee CS. Dictionary for social welfare science. Hye Min Books; 2013.
- Kim MS, Park SH. The influence of the social support that children in community child care center perceive on children’s ego-resiliency. Asian Journal of Education. 2015; 16(2):55–82.
- Jo EJ. The influence of social support that children and adolescents perceive on the feeling of happiness: on children and adolescents from low-income families. Youth Culture Forum. 2014; 37(1):103–26.
- Lee HK. A study on the relationship among social support, empowerment and psychological adjustment of children in community child center. [Master’s Degree Thesis]. Graduate School in Sookmyung Women’s University; 2007. p. 1–125.
- Han MH. Children’s stress, recognition of social support and behavioral issues. [Thesis for PhD]. Seoul National University; 1996; 38(5):1–23.
- Park JW. A study on the work to develop social support index. [Thesis for PhD]. Graduate School of Yonsei University; 1985. p. 1–97.
- Cho SH, Shin HY, Choi MS, Choi HY. A survey on the sense of happiness among the Korean children in the elementary school. The Korean Journal of Child Studies. 2009; 30(2):129–44.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.