Total views : 330
Analysis on the Semiotics for the Canvas of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera -Focus on the Icon·Index·Symbol of 3 classification Charles S. Peirce’s Semiotic
Background and Objectives: This study is a semiotic analysis of paintings sublimated to art and love by Frida Kahlo, female genius artist rising from despair, and Diego Rivera, master of Mexican muralist movement. Methods and Statistical Analysis: For the subject and scope of analysis, we selected total 10 pieces of art. We interpreted the pieces based on Charles S. Peirce’s triadic model of semiotics such as icon, index and symbol. Their paintings and the hyperreality image of simulacra will present the standards for cultural meaning, social judgment and economic value as pop culture through practices of looking and way of seeing of visual language in signifying practices. Findings: The limitation of this study is that it added the emotions of researchers toward their paintings, as well as arbitrariness and polysemy felt in signification in the cultural sense. Improvements and Applications: This shows that there are limitations in subjective interpretant of a third party (researchers) to accurately capture the binomial relations of the différence in the extended sense of semiotics and infinite imagery and inspirations of artists with referents like connotative riddles in pictures (signs).
Icon/Index/Symbol, Image, Sign, Signification.
- Seoul Olympic Museum of Art. Frida Kahlo. Available from: www.frida.kr., Date accessed: 2015.
- Pop Culture and Advertisements. Lyceum. Available from: www.indjst.org/index.php/indjst/article/view/68291, Date accessed: 2015.
- Interpreting. Structuring and Reinventing Advertisement and Power Symbol. Korea Broadcast Advertising Corporation. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_destruction , Date accessed: 2004.
- Kyeong-yong K. What is Semiotics? Minumsa. 1977; 319–25.
- Man-Ki K. Genius Female Artist Frida Kahlo. Lyceum. 2015.
- Baue C, Muchen-Berlin M, Young-Jin J. London New York. translated Yekyong. 2005; 115–23.
- Sang-Hoon B, Chang-Seop L, Kahlo F. Genius Artist Rising from Despair. Chosun Ilbo Korea Sports Promotion Foundation. 2015.
- Jeong-Soon P. Semiotics of Pop Culture. Communication. 2009; 130pp.
- Man-Ki K. Theory and Practice of Political Advertising. Namseoul University Publishing. 2012; 8(9):9pp.
- Ho-Lee C. Reading Postmodern Culture. Seoul National University Press. 1995; 24 pp.
- Steven C. Postmodernist Culture: an Introduction to Theories of the Contemporary. New York: Basil Blackwell. 1989; 57pp.
- MovieFrida.DVD. Produced by Younghwain. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frida, Date accessed: 2010.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.