Total views : 5387
MHD Free Convection Flow and Heat Transfer of Ferrofluids over a Vertical Flat Plate with Aligned and Transverse Magnetic Field
Objective: This paper aims to examine the Magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) ferrofluid’s steady natural convection boundary layer flow over a vertical flat plate. Method: Two types of base fluids (kerosene and water) were selected to formulate a problem that incorporates embedded magnetite ferroparticle. The governing nonlinear partial differential equations are modified with similarity transformations to a system of nonlinear ordinary differential equations. Then the Keller Box method is employed to numerically solve transform equations. The different values of governing parameters features and the characteristics of heat transfer and flow are analysed and discussed. Results: The results of the experiment are illustrated graphically to show the effects of the aligned and transverse magnetic field parameter, the particle volume fraction parameter and free convection parameter on heat transfer, skin friction and velocity and temperature profiles. The results were then compared with the published papers, which were found to agree well. Conclusion: At the plate surface with Fe3O4-kerosene ferrofluid, the heat transfer rate was higher than in the case of Fe3O4-water. The heat transfer rate at the plate surface increased with the rise in ferroparticle volume fraction, the angle of magnetic field, local Grashof number and magnetic field parameter.
Aligned Magnetic Field, Boundary Layer, Ferrofluid, Natural Convection, Vertical Flat Plate.
- Rosersweig RE. Ferro hydrodynamics. London: Cambridge University Press; 1985.
- Hiegeister R, Andra W, Buske N, Hergt R, Hilger I, Richter U, Kaiser U. Application of magnetite ferrofluids for hyperthermia. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 1999; 201:420–2.
- Xuan, Y, Meng Ye, Qiang, Li. Mesoscale simulation of ferrofluids structure. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2005; 48:2443–51.
- Jafari A, Tynjala T, Mousavi SM, Sarkomaa P. Simulation of heat transfer in a ferrofluids using computational fluid dynamics technique. Int J Heat and Fluid flow. 2008; 29:1197–202.
- Philip J, et al. Enhancement of thermal conductivity in magnetite based nanofluid due to chainlike structures. Applied Physics Letters. 2007; 91:203108.1–3.
- Gavili A, Zabihi F, Dallali Isfahani T, Sabbaghzadeh J. The thermal conductivity of water base ferrofluids under magnetic field. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science. 2012; 41:94–8.
- Sulochana C, Kishor Kumar MK, Sandeep N. Radiation and chemical reaction effects on MHD thermosolutal nanofluid flow over a vertical plate in porous medium. Chemical and Process Engineering Research. 2015; 34.
- Khan WA, Makinde OD, Khan ZH. MHD boundary layer flow of a nanofluid containing gyrotactic microorganisms past a vertical plate with Navier slip. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2014; 74:285–291.
- Khan WA., Khan ZH and Haq RU. Flow and heat transfer of ferrofluids over a flat plate with uniform heat flux. The European Physical Journal Plus. 2015; 130:86.
- Singh P, Kumar M. Mass transfer in MHD flow of alumina water nanofluid over a flat plate under slip conditions. Alexandria Engineering Journal. 2015; 54:383–7.
- Haile E, Shankar B. A steady MHD boundary-layer flow of water-based nanofluids over a moving permeable flat plate. International Journal of Mathematical Research. 2015; 4(1):27–41.
- Oztop HF,Abu-Nada E. Numerical study of natural convection in partially heated rectangular enclosures filled with nanofluids. Int J Heat Fluid Flow. 2008; 29(5):1326–36.
- Brinkmann H. The viscosity of concentrated suspensions and solutions. J Chem Phys. 1952; 20:571.
- Makinde O. Similarity solution for natural convection from a moving vertical plate with internal heat generation and a convective boundary condition. Thermal Science. 2011; 15:137–43.
- Mojumder S, Saha S, Saha S, Mamun MAH. Effect of Magnetic Field on Natural Convection in a C-shaped Cavity Filled with Ferrofluid. Procedia Eng. 2014; 105(1):96–104.
- Sheikholeslami M, Ganji DD, Rashidi MM. Ferrofluid flow and heat transfer in a semi annulus enclosure in the presence of magnetic source considering thermal radiation. J Taiwan Inst Chem Eng. 2015; 47:6–17.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.