Total views : 196
A Review of Research on Counselor Development in Korea (2006~2015)
Background/Objectives: This study aimed to investigate recent research trends on counselor development in Korea in order to expand more recent knowledge on this topic. Methods/Statistical Analysis: For this purpose, 34 domestic articles about counselor development, registered (or nominated to be) in the National Research Foundation of Korea between 2006 and 2015, were examined. Using content analysis, these studies were analyzed according to subjects of research, research themes, and the methodologies used. Findings: A majority of research subject in the field of counselor development studies were professional counselors. There were few studies which involved undergraduate students of counseling major, counseling clients along with professional counselors, or other participants. Research subjects were mostly females. The age range of the subjects was from 20’s to 60’s. Most frequently studied research theme was differences found in counselors according to their development level. Many studies also tapped into the developmental processes of counselors. With regard to methodologies, both quantitative and qualitative methodologies were used frequently. Only few studies used mixed method. The present study identified several changes in counselor development research. First, expansion of research focus on diverse counselor related factors were found. Active endeavors on in-depth explorations about counselor’s developmental processes and counselor’s subjective experiences were indicated as well. The counselor’s personal domains have come to receive increased attention recently. The present study has implications in providing recent knowledge and changes in counselor development research. Application/Improvements: The findings of the study can provide guidance in future research endeavor in the field of counselor development such as identification of more factors in counselor development and use of various measurement to secure validity.
Counselor, Counselor Development, Personal Development, Professional Development, Research Trends
- Pascual-Leone DA, Wolfe BJ, O’Connor D. The reported inpact of psychotherapy training: Undergraduate discourses after a course in experiential psychotherapy. Person-Centered & Experiential Psychotherapy. 2012; 11(2):152-68.
- Ronnestad MK, Skovholt TM. The journey of the counselor and therapists: Research findings and perspectives on professional development. Journal of Career Development. 2003; 30(2):5-44.
- Folkes-Skinner J, Elliott R, Wheeler S. A baptism of fire: A qualitative investigation of a trainee counselor’s experience at the start of training. Journal of Cousneling and Development. 2010; 10(2):83-92.
- Theriault A, Gazzola N. Feelings of inadequacy, insecurity, and incompetence among experienced therapists. Cousneling and Psychotherapy Research. 2005; 5(1):11-18.
- Choi H. Research trends of counselor development. The Korean Journal of Counseling. 2005; 6(3):713-27.
- Whang CH, Park J, Yoo S, Kang J. A qualitative study on graduate students’ experiences in counseling pwychology in Korea. The Korean Journal of Cousling. 2009; 10(3):135982.
- Lee M, Park S. A phenomenological study on self-development experiences of cousnelors during cousneling training.The Korean Journal of Cousneling. 2015; 16(1):1-29.
- Kim E, Park S. The trends and issues of research on the working alliance in Korea. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy. 2011; 23(1):1-25.
- Jo N, Choi E, Choi H, Jang S. Cousneling research analysis: Counseling Study Journal report published thesis (Focusing on 2000 to December 2009). The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy. 2010; 11(2):507-24.
- Lee S, Cho S. A Study of the Counselor Development and Wisdom: Comparison of the Counselor’s Wisdom of the Level of Counselor Development. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy. 2009; 21(1):69-91.
- Lee K, Kim J. The efffects of counselor development level and countertransference utilization ability on counseling outcome. The Korean Journal of Counseling. 2008; 9(3):987-1006.
- Lee M, Kwon K. Needs assessment on educational contents of group work supersion according to careers of goup workers.
- The Korean Journal of Counseling. 2009; 10(2):911-31.13. Kim M, Cho, H. Counselor’s education, practice, and supersion experience, educational analysis, and counselor development. The Korean Journal of Counseling. 2015; 16(3):67-84.
- Kim H, Lee Y. The relationship between the adult attachment, counselor’s development levels and therapeutic alliance of the play therapist. The Korean Journal of Play Therapy. 2007; 10(4):27-38.
- Kwon K, Ji H. Analysis of developmental characteristics of skilled expert in goupr counseling. The Korean Journal of Counseling. 2010; 11(3):1075-98.
- Go Y, Park S. Phenomenological Study on Counselor’s Professional Development with a Focus on Self-Reflection.The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy.2014; 26(4):805-39.
- Lee M, Park S. A phenomenological study of self-development experiences of counselors during counseling training.The Korean Journal of Counseling. 2005; 16(1):1-29.
- Lee H, Joo S, Kim H. Critical incidents experience in counselor intern development. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy. 2011; 23(4):833-59.
- Hur J, Kim J. Exploratory study on the change processes of counselor development in Reflection Centered Supervision.The Korean Journal of Counseling. 2009; 10(2):19-740.
- Sardareh SA, Aghabozorgi S, Dutt A. Applying clustering approach to analyze reflective dialogues and students’ problem solving ability. The Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(11):1-11.
- Jang J, Shin H, Kim K, Byun S. Effectiveness of command counseling program development for young leaders.Journal of Korean Contents Association. 2012; 12(11):15565.
- Choi J, Han Y. The Impact of client expectation, working alliance and counsellor developmental level on counselling satisfaction in adolescent counselling. Journal of Korean Youth Research Association. 2015; 22(4):113-32.
- Baek M, Yoo H. The relationships between counselor development level and burnout according to counseling experience: the moderating effects of resilience. The Korean Journal of Counseling. 2012; 13(6):3191-3205.
- Skovholt TM, Ronnestad MK. Theses in therapist and counselor development. Journal of Counseling and Development. 1992; 70(4):505-15.
- Kim Y, Lee H. A study on undergraduate students’ selfgrowth experiences in a counseling skills training course.Journal of Korea Convergence Society. 2015; 6(5):315-28.
- Shim H. Sookmyung Women’s University: Assessement of the developmental levels of Korean counselors. Doctoral Dissertation. 1998; 10(1):1-28.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.