Total views : 456
The Impacts of CSR Program on Young Students' Attitudes toward the Corporation and Natural Environment: Tourism Study from a Convergence Perspective
Background/Objectives: This study examines the impact of an educational environmental CSR program on young South Korean students' attitudes toward the corporation and natural environment. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A selfadministered questionnaire was conducted on the last day of the camp program in 2013 at the camp site. Questionnaires were distributed by a camp program manager to all teenager participants and 133 valid data sets were obtained after seven incomplete questionnaires were eliminated. The questionnaire consisted of three main sections covering issues related to experience of environmental CSR program, attitudes towards the corporation, and attitudes towards natural environment. Findings: The participants can be characterized as interactive and escapist groups. It would be because the camp is based on the premise that participants are interested in environment and expect to learn about environment. Second, the environmental CSR program can contribute to enhance the corporate’s brand image, but it cannot always lead to immediate sales improvement. It could result from that the participants are high school students who are not great consumers and that Korean and American consumers have different awareness and behavior in relation to environment. Lastly, environmental CSR could give knowledge of natural environment and improve environmental awareness. Consequently it could modify participants’ attitudes but not their behavior. Application/Improvements: To reach a fuller understanding of the impact of the environmental CSR program, a further extensive study is needed to be done through a follow-up survey.
Attitudes, Environmental CSR, Experience, Natural Environment, Tourism
- Singh J , Sanchez M, Bosque DI. Understanding corporate social responsibility and product perceptions in consumer market: A cross-culture evolution. Journal of Business Ethic.2008; 80(3):597–611.
- Liu TM, Wong AI, Shi G, Chu R, Brock LJ. The impact of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) performance and perceived brand quality on customer-based brand preference.Journal of Services Marketing. 2014 May; 28(3):181– 94.
- Maignan I, Ferrell OC, Hult GT. Corporate citizenship: Cultural antecedents and business benefits. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. 1999 Oct; 27(4):455–69.
- Handelman JM, Arnold SJ. The role of marketing actions with a social dimension: Appeals to the institutional environment.The Journal of Marketing. 1999 Jul; 1(1):33–48.
- Kolodinsky RW, Madden TM, Zisk DS, Henkel ET. Attitudes about corporate social responsibility: Business student predictors. Journal of Business Ethics. 2010 Jan; 91(2):167–81.
- Maignan I. Consumers’ perceptions of corporate social responsibilities: A cross-cultural comparison. Journal of business ethics. 2001 Mar; 30(1):57–72.
- Sen S, Bhattacharya CB. Does doing good always lead to doing better? Consumer reactions to corporate social responsibility.Journal of marketing Research. 2001 May;38(2):225–43.
- Yoo JM. The effect of CSR practices on customer-based brand equity. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015; 8(25):1–7.
- Hemingway CA, Maclagan PW. Managers’ personal values as drivers of corporate social responsibility. Journal of Business Ethics. 2004 Mar; 50(1):33–44.
- Singhapakdi A, Kraft KL, Vitell SJ, Rallapalli KC. The perceived importance of ethics and social responsibility on organizational effectiveness: A survey of marketers. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. 1995 Dec; 23(1):49–56.
- Vitell SJ, Paolillo JG, Thomas JL. The perceived role of ethics and social responsibility: A study of marketing professionals.Business Ethics Quarterly. 2003; 13(1):63–86.
- Burke L, Logsdon JM. How corporate social responsibility pays off. Long range planning. 1996 Aug; 29(4):495–502.
- Du S, Bhattacharya CB, Sen S. Maximizing business returns to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR): The role of CSR communication. International Journal of Management Reviews.2010 Mar; 12(1):8–19.
- Jenkins H. Small business champions for corporate social responsibility. Journal of Business Ethics. 2006 Sep; 67(3):241–56.
- Choi MW. The significance and effect of CSR as a means of sustainable growth. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015; 8(23):1.
- Dasgupta S, Ghatge A. Understanding the stickiness of corporate social responsibility reporting as a post globalization digital marketing strategy: A study of multinational automobile companies in India. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(4):283–92.
- Mohr LA, Webb DJ, Harris KE. Do consumers expect companies to be socially responsible? The impact of corporate social responsibility on buying behavior. Journal of Consumer affairs. 2001 Jun; 35(1):45–72.
- Laroche M, Bergeron J, Barbaro-Forleo G. Targeting consumers who are willing to pay more for environmentally friendly products. Journal of Consumer Marketing. 2001 Nov; 18(6):503–20.
- Mohr LA, Webb DJ. The effects of corporate social responsibility and price on consumer responses. Journal of Consumer Affairs. 2005 Apr; 39(1):121–47.
- Rahbar E, Wahid AN. Investigation of green marketing tools’ effect on consumers’ purchase behavior. Business Strategy Series. 2011 Mar; 112(2):3–83.
- Creel T. How corporate social responsibility influences brand equity. Management Accounting Quarterly. 2012 Aug;13(4):1–34.
- He H, Li Y. CSR and service brand: The mediating effect of brand identification and moderating effect of service quality.Journal of Business Ethics. 2011 Jun; 100(4):673–88.
- Klein J, Dawar N. Corporate social responsibility and consumers’ attributions and brand evaluations in a product– harm crisis. International Journal of Research in Marketing.2004 Sep; 21(3):203–17.
- Chan LJK, Baum T. Ecotourists’ perception of ecotourism experience in lower Kinabatangan, Sabah, Malaysia. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. 2007 Sep; 15(5):574–90.
- Dolnicar S, Long P. Beyond ecotourism: The environmentally responsible tourist in the general travel experience.Tourism Analysis. 2009 Dec; 14(4);503–13.
- Vespestad MK, Lindberg F. Understanding nature-basedtourist experiences: An ontological analysis. Current Issues in Tourism. 2011 Aug; 14(6):563–80.
- Kim AK, Airey D, Szivas E. The multiple assessment of interpretation effectiveness: Promoting visitors’ environmental attitudes and behavior. Journal of Travel Research. 2010; 50(3):321–34.
- Kou IL. The effectiveness of environmental interpretation at resource-sensitive tourism destination. International Journal of Tourism Research. 2002; 4(1):87–101.
- Ham S, Han H. Role of perceived fit with hotels’ green practices in the formation of customer loyalty: Impact of environmental concerns. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research. 2013 Oct; 18(7):731–48.
- Rodríguez FJ, Cruz YD. Relation between social-environmental responsibility and performance in hotel firms. International Journal of Hospitality Management. 2007 Dec;26(4):824–39.
- Manente M, Minghetti V, Mingotto E. Ranking assessment systems for responsible tourism products and corporate social responsibility practices. Anatolia. 2012 Apr 1; 23(1):75– 89.
- Hsu SJ. The effects of an environmental education program on responsible environmental behavior and associated environmental literacy variables in Taiwanese college students.The Journal of Environmental Education. 2004 Jan; 35(2):37–48.
- Smeds P, Jeronen E, Kurppa S, Vieraankivi ML. Rural camp school eco learn--outdoor education in rural settings. International Journal of Environmental and Science Education.2011 Jul; 6(3):267–91.
- Ballantyne R, Packer J. Promoting environmentally sustainable attitudes and behaviour through free‐choice learning experiences: What is the state of the game? Environmental Education Research. 2005 Jul; 11(3):281–95.
- Lee WH, Moscardo G. Understanding the impact of ecotourism resort experiences on tourists’ environmental attitudes and behavioural intentions. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. 2005 Nov 15; 13(6):546–65.
- He Y, Lai KK. The effect of corporate social responsibility on brand loyalty: The mediating role of brand image. Total Quality Management and Business Excellence. 2014 Feb; 25(3-4):249–63.
- Dunlap RE, Van Liere KD, Mertig AG, Jones RE. New trends in measuring environmental attitudes: Measuring endorsement of the new ecological paradigm: A revised NEP scale. Journal of Social Issues. 2000 Jan; 56(3):425–42.
- Uysal M, Jurowski C, Noe FP, McDonald CD. Environmental attitude by trip and visitor characteristics: US Virgin Islands National Park. Tourism Management. 1994 Aug; 15(4):284–94.
- Orams MB. Using interpretation to manage nature-based tourism. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. 1996 Sep; 4(2):81– 94.
- Dresner M, Gill M. Environmental education at summer nature camp. The Journal of Environmental Education.1994 Apr 1; 25(3):35–41.
- Howard J. Research in progress: Does environmental interpretation influence behaviour through knowledge or affect?Australian Journal of Environmental Education. 1999; 15(12):153–6.
- Beaumont N. Ecotourism and the conservation ethic: Recruiting the uninitiated or preaching to the converted?Journal of Sustainable Tourism. 2001 Oct; 9(4):317–41.
- Otto JE, Ritchie JB. The service experience in tourism.Tourism Management. 1996 May; 17(3):165–74.
- Pine BJ, Gilmore JH. Welcome to the experience economy.Harvard Business Review. 1998 Jul; 76(1):97–105.
- Han S, Um S. Verification on experience realms of pine and gilmore: The case of participants’ satisfaction of experiential activities at Hansan Ramie festival. The Tourism Sciences Society of Korea. 2005 Oct; 29(2):131–48.
- Kim HC, Kim JS. How marketing event and on-site communication work on the effective formation of brand. The Korean Journal of Advertising and Public Relations. 2013 Mar; 5–36.
- Field F, Sage S. Discovering statistics using SPSS. London; 2009.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.