Total views : 316
Why Young People use Social Media for Sports: A Uses and Gratifications Perspective
Background/Objectives: This study examined characteristics and trends in the ways college students utilize social media for college athletics. Methods/Statistical Analysis: An online survey was conducted at a Southwestern University. A total of 468 college students responded to the online survey. 391 valid survey responses were used to analyze the data. Findings: The results of this study suggested four motivations - entertainment, information seeking, social interaction and surveillance - for using social media of college athletics. Thus, information seeking and social interaction motivations, both motivations for using social media for college athletics, were related positively to gratification of social media use for college athletics. Younger users of social media for college athletics were more likely to use Facebook to gather college athletics information. In addition, Twitter users have higher channel loyalty in sports communication than do Facebook users. Application/Improvements: This study may contribute to understanding motivations and uses of social media in sports communication.
College Athletics, Social Media, Uses and Gratification, Young People
- Rubin A. Uses and gratifications: An evolving perspective on media effects. The SAGE handbook of media processes and effects. R. L. Nabi and M. B. Oliver Editorss. Washington, D.C: SAGE; 2009. p. 147–59.
- Stafford T, Stafford M, Schkade L. Determining uses and gratifications for the Internet. Decision Sciences. 2004 Apr; 35(2):259–88.
- Kaplan A, Haenlein M. Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of Social Media. Business Horizons. 2010 Jan–Feb; 53(1):59–68.
- Foster M, Francescucci A, West B. Why users participate in online social networks. International Journal of e-Business Management. 2010 May; 4(1):3–19.
- Lee J, You S. The mediating effect of the flow experience: Causal model analysis on the effect of users’ awareness of sns characteristics on the acceptance of sns. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(8):258–66.
- Jansen B, Zhang M, Sobel K, Chowdury A. Twitter power: Tweets as electronic word of mouth. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology.2009 Nov; 60(11):2169–88.
- Othman WRW, Apandi ZFM, Ngah NH. The uses of social media on student’s communication and self concepts among TATIUC Students. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(17):1–8.
- Singla ML, Durga A. How social media gives you competitive advantage. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015; 8(4):90–5.
- Ko H, Cho CH, Roberts M. Internet uses and gratifications: A structural equation model of interactive advertising.Journal of Advertising. 2005; 34(2):57–70.
- Park HS, Dailey R, Lemus D. The use of exploratory factor analysis and principal components analysis in communication research. Human Communication Research. 28 Oct; 28(4):562–77.
- Kim KS, Sin SCJ, He Y. Information seeking through social media: Impact of user characteristics on social media use.Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. 2013; 50(1):1–4.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.