Total views : 245
Ultrastructural Characteristics of Neonate Scalp Hair
Background/Objectives: There are many differences between the hair from neonate and those from children and adults. Methods/ Statistical Analysis: The microstructural characteristics and external shape of neonate hairs were investigated using scanning electron microscopy and transmission electron microscopy. Findings: The thickness of the terminal end of neonate hairs was ~2.5 μm, with a slightly round shape, and one cuticle cell surrounded the cortex. Different from normal adult hair, a cuticle layer and cortex are present in neonate hair, but there is no medulla. Cuticle cells in neonate hair showed a typical structure. However, the exocuticle, endocuticle, A layer, and cell membrane complex exhibited markedly different electron densities. The cortex is composed of polygonal cortical cells and was clearly observed by the boundary of these cells. The cytoplasm of keratinized cortical cells is filled with macrofibrils and melanin granules around the cuticle layer and cortex regions. Applications/Improvements: Neonate hair follicles were ~0.5 mm in size, fivefold smaller than adult hair follicles. Neonate hair follicles had a structure identical to that of anagen phase adult hair follicles but differed in size.
Hair Cortex, Hair Cuticle, Hair Follicle, Neonate Hair, SEM, TEM
- Chang BS. Fine structure of damaged hair shaft by daily treatment of heat for a beautiful face. Korean Journal Electron Microscopy. 2003; 33(3):215–22.
- Gareri J, Koren G. Prenatal hair development: implications for drug exposure determination. Forensic Science International. 2010; 196(1-3):27–31.
- Tolgyesi E, Coble DW, Fang FS, Kairinen EO, A comparative study of beard and scalp hair. Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists. 1983; 34(1):361–82.
- Daver R. Cosmetic and medical causes of hair weathering. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. 2002; 1(4):196–201.
- Whiting DA. Structural abnormalities of the hair shaft. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 1987; 16(1):1–25.6. Braida D, Dubief C, Lang G, Photoageing of hair fider and photoprotection. Skin Phamacology and Physiology. 1994; 7(1-2):73–7.
- Hong WS, Chang BS, Lim DS, Park SO, Yoe SM: Morphological change of men’s hair shaft by weathering. Korean Journal Electron Microscopy. 2000; 30(1):11–20.
- Chang BS, Na SK, Lee GY. Study on the physicochemical change of human hair shaft following radiation with ultraviolet. Korean Journal Electron Microscopy. 2006; 36(2):109–18.
- Chang BS, Hong WS, Lee E, Yeo SM, Bang IS, Lim DS, Mun GH, Kim J, Park SO, Shin DH. Ultramicroscopic observations on morphological changes in hair during 25 years of weathering. 151(2-3):193–200.
- Chang BS, Lee GY. Ultrastructural changes of hair treated with bleaching agent. Korean Journal Electron Microscopy. 2006; 36(1):25–30.
- Lee GY, Chang BS. Study on the tensile strength of bleached hair. Korean Journal Electron Microscopy. 2008; 38(3):251–7.
- Bolduc C, Shapiro J. Hair care products: waving, straightening, conditioning, and coloring. Clinics in Dermatology. 2001; 19(4):431–6.
- Lee GY, Chang BS. General characteristics on the structure of scalp hair, -. ultrastructure of hair shaft. Journal of Investigative Cosmetology. 2010; 6(3):265–71.
- Wolfram LJ. Human hair: A unique physicochemical composite. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2003; 48(6):106–14.
- Scanavez C, Joekes I. Zahn H. Extractable substances from human hair: a discussion about the origin of the holes. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2004; 39(1-2):39–43.
- Lindelof B, Forslid B, Hedblad M, Kaveus U. Human hair form: morphology revealed by light and scanning electron microscopy and computer aided three-dimensional reconstruction. Archives of Dermatology. 1988; 124(9):1359-63.
- Wilk KE, James VJ, Amemiya Y. The intermediate filament structure of human hair. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 1995; 1245(3):392–6.
- Seshadri IP, Bhushan B. In situ tensile deformation characterization of human hair with atomic force microscopy. Acta Materialia. 2008, 56(4):774–81.
- Oh MS, Chang BS. Study on the damaged hair by thioglycolic acid and heat source. Journal of Investigative Cosmetology. 2008; 4(2):163-70.
- Rho JA, Choi TB, Chang BS. Ultrastructural analysis on the straight permed hair. Journal of Investigative Cosmetology. 2010; 6(1):41–7.
- Lee GY, Chang BS. Ultrastructural changes of hair cuticle layer treated with permanent dye. Journal of Investigative Cosmetology. 2011; 7(3):267–71.
- Lee JS, Noh JA, Chang BS. Ultrastructural characteristics on the cuticle layer according to hair thickness Journal of Investigative Cosmetology . 2015; 11(1):81–7.
- Park CH, Choi KJ, Moon SJ, Uhm CS. Structural development of scalp hair in children and effects cosmetologic physicochemical treatments on adult scalp hair. Korean Journal Electron Microscopy. 2002, 32(4), pp. 339–44.
- Lee GY, Chang BS. Studies on the preservative condition and the ultrastructure of hair of newly found sixteenth century mummy in Paju. Korean Journal Electron Microscopy. 2005; 35(4):211––18.
- Chang BS, Uhm CS, Park CH, Kim HK, Lee GY, Cho HH, Chung YH, Shin DH. Ultramicroscopic study on the hair of newly found 15th century mummy in Daejeon, Korea. Annals of Anatomy. 2006; 188(5):439–45.
- Chang BS, Uhm CS, Park CH, Kim HK, Jung SH, Ham JH, Lee GY, Kim DH, Lee KJ, Bang IS, Oh CS, Shin DH. Preservation of hair collected from full-term baby mummy of medieval Joseon Dynasty, Korea: ultramicroscopic investigation. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology. 2008; 18(6):624–31.
- Seshadri IP, Bhushan B. Effect of ethnicity and treatments on in situ tensile response and morphological changes of human hair characterized by atomic force microscopy. Acta Materialia. 2008; 56(14):3585–97.
- Chang BS, Lee GY. Structures of Scalp and Hair, In: The latest trichology. Kwangmoonkag Publ.: Korea. 2011, pp. 106–12.
- Schneider MR, Schmidt-Ullrich R, Paus R. The hair follicle as a dynamic miniorgan. Current Biology. 2009; 19(3):R132–42.
- Chang BS, Jin ZH. Ultrastructural analysis of outer and inner root sheath in the hair follicle during anagen phase. Journal of Investigative Cosmetology. 2015; 11(4):325–32.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.