Total views : 323
Study of Mechanical Properties of Dual Phase EN19 Steel (AISI4140)
Medium carbon steels are high strength steels which include AISI4140 as an important member in low alloy category. These steels show positive response to all variety of heat treatments. The present work aims to experimentally investigate the properties like Tensile, Hardness and Impact Strength on AISI4140 steel. The as-bought properties of AISI4140 steel have good ductility, shock resistance but low wear resistance and shorter service life. However such properties can be further improved through various heat treatment processes. In the present investigation the effect of dual phase heat treatment and mechanical property analysis of AISI 4140 are studied. The effect of normalizing as pretreatments on dual phase structure and property at different inter-ctitical temperatures holding for 2 hours followed by water quenching are investigated in view of improvement in mechanical properties like hardness, impact toughness and tensile. Test specimens are prepared and subjected to preliminary heat treatment. The dual phase structures (Ferrite-Martensite) by heating to three different inter-critical temperatures are obtained by rapid quenching in water medium. The resultant dual phase microstructure is also studied. Then tensile, impact and hardness tests are conducted and compared with asbought condition results. The dual phase steels find applications widely in automobile parts and general constructional applications where wear resistance is of the serious concern.
Austempering, Annealing, Dual Phase Ferrite, Martensite, Steels.
- Gorni AA. Steel forming and heat treating handbook. Sao Vacente, Brazil; 2006. p. 1–4.
- ASTM E 8M – 91: Standard test Method for tension testing of metallic materials [Metric]. Annual Book of ASTM Standards: ASTM International. Available from: https://www.scribd.com/.../ASTM-E8M-Standard-Test-Methods-for-Tension-Testing
- Alanemea KK. Mechanical behaviour of duplex phase structures in a medium carbon low alloy steel. 2010; 9(7):621–33.
- Sun S, Pugh M. Properties of Thermomechanically processed dual- phase steels containing fibrous martensite. Materials Science and Engineering A. 2002; 335(1-2):298–308.
- Nonlinear ultrasonic testing using a non-collinear approach application to heat treatment of steels and to Asphalt concrete mixtures by Nathan James Price. Available from: https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bitstream/handle/2142/31195/Price_Nathan.pdf?sequence=1
- Chuaiphan W, Srijaroenpramong L, Pinpradub D. The effects of heat treatment on microstructure and mechanical properties of aisi 4140 for base cutter cane harvester. Advanced Materials Research. 2013; 774–6:1059–67.
- Abid A, Najmul H, Al-Rub A, Rashid K, Palazotto P, Anthony N. Computational modeling of the effect of equiaxed heterogeneous microstructures on strength and ductility of dual phase steels. Computational Material Science (Elsevier); 2015; 103:20–37.
- Gu JY, Choi HS, Lee DY, Yu JH, Kim JS, Hong J. Effect of heat treatments for hand in Raynaud's Phenomenon. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jul; 9(25):1–4.
- Sarangi S, Sinha AK. Mechanical properties of hybrid fiber reinforced concrete. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Aug; 9(30):1–4.
- Singh MK. XRD analysis of calcium silicate coating on titanium alloy. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Nov; 4(11).
- Reddy BSK, Varaprasad J, Reddy KNK. Matrix al-alloys for silicon carbide particle reinforced metal matrix composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010 Dec; 3(12):1–4.
- Selamat ZA, Baba NB, Alias M, Yusoff AR, Rahman M. Effect of coolant nozzle sizes on turning aluminum alloy AL319. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(9):1–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.