Total views : 171
Survey on Iris Image Analysis
Objectives: Iris recognition is one of biometric identification methods adopted over worldwide. In this paper we intend to update the previous survey and cover the survey over the period of roughly 2010 to 2015. Methods: We focus on the paper that appeared in Springer, IEEE Xplore and International Conferences, National and International journals covering Image Processing, Signal Processing, Pattern recognition and Bioinformatics. This paper primarily focuses on the survey of Iris camera for Iris acquisition, Methods adopted for iris segmentation, feature extraction, matching and public Iris database. Iris segmentation and feature extraction are important steps in Iris recognition. As there are several publications on the segmentation and feature extraction separately in literature, we have selected and summarized only prominent work in our paper. Findings: We have compared the algorithm used by various researchers with the performance parameter obtained by other researchers. We have found that there is scope for improvement in algorithms and need to understand the Iris Code in detail. Application: This comparative analysis will help researcher to get view on present scenario related to Iris recognition system.
Acquisition Segmentation, Database, Features, Iris, Matching.
- Wildes R. Iris recognition: An emerging biometric technology. Proceedings of the IEEE. 1997 Sep; 85(9):1348–63. CrossRef.
- Hugo P, Luis A. Iris recognition: Measuring feature's quality for the feature selection in unconstrained image capture environments. International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Homeland Security and Personal Safety, USA; 2006. p. 35–40.
- Sujatha P, Sudha KK. Performance analysis of different edge detection techniques for image segmentation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(14):1–6. CrossRef.
- Saminathan K, Chakravarthy T, Chithradevi M. Comparative study on biometrics Iris recognition based on Hamming distance and Multi block local binary pattern. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jun; 8(11):1–8. CrossRef.
- Fei Y, Yantao T. Iris segmentation using watershed and region merging. 9th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Application, China; 2014. p. 792–7.
- Boddeti VN, Vijaykumar BV. Improved iris segmentation based on local texture statistics. 45th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, USA; 2011. p.2147– 51.
- Jan F, Usman I. Iris segmentation for visible wavelength and near infrared eye images Farmanullah. International Journal for Light and Electron Optics. 2014 Aug; 125(16):4274–82. CrossRef.
- Roy K, Bhatacharya P, Cheng S. Iris segmentation using game theory. Journal of Signal, Image and Video Processing. 2012 Jun; 6(2):301–15.
- Puhan NB, Niladri B, Sudha N, Kaushalram AS. Efficient segmentation technique for noisy frontal view iris images using Fourier spectral density. Journal of Signal, Image and Video Processing. 2011 Mar; 5(1):105–19.
- Hu Y, Konstantinos S, Gareth H. Improving colour iris segmentation using a model selection technique. Pattern Recognition Letters. 2015 May; 57(1):24–32. CrossRef.
- MatveevI, Konstantin G. Iris image segmentation based on approximate methods with subsequent refinements. 22nd International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Sweden; 2014. p. 704–1709
- Almedia P, Butterworth HN. A knowledge-based approach to the iris segmentation problem. Journal of Image and Vision Computing. 2010 Feb; 28(2):238–45. CrossRef.
- Sankowski W, Kamil G, Małgorzata N, Mariusz Z, Andrzej N. Reliable algorithm for iris segmentation in eye image. Journal of Image and Vision Computing. 2010 Feb; 28(2):231–7. CrossRef.
- Miguel A, Luengo O. Robust iris segmentation on uncalibrated noisy images using mathematical morphology Image and Vision Computing. 2010 Feb; 28(2):278–84. CrossRef.
- Jeong DA, Hwang JA. A new iris segmentation method for non-ideal iris image. Image and Vision Computing. 2010 Feb; 28(2):254–60. CrossRef.
- Radman A. Fast and reliable iris segmentation algorithm. IET Image Processing. 2012 Nov; 7(1):42–9. CrossRef.
- Yang H. A robust algorithm for colour iris segmentation based on 1-norm regression. IEEE International Joint Conference on Biometrics, USA; 2014 Oct. p. 1–8.
- Zafar MF. Novel iris segmentation and recognition system for human identification. 10th International Conference on Applied Sciences and Technology, Bhurban; 2013 Jan. p. 128–36. CrossRef.
- Fernando AF. Quality factors affecting iris segmentation and matching. International Conference on Biometrics, Madrid; 2013 Jun. p. 1–6.
- Changpeng T. Red eye detector for iris segmentation using shape contex. Conference on Biometric and Surveillance Technology for Human and Activity Identification, USA; 2013 May. 8712–26
- Abdullah MAM. Fast and accurate method for complete iris segmentation with active contour and morpholog.
- IEEE International Conference on Imaging Systems and Techniques, Greece; 2014 Oct. p. 123–8.
- Chung PC. An iris segmentation scheme using Delogne– Kåsa circle fitting based on orientation matching transform. International Symposium on Computer, Consumer and Control. Taiwan; 2014 Jun. p. 127–30.
- Hanene G. Novel iris segmentation method. International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems, Morocco; 2012 May. p. 260–5.
- Matveev I. Iris segmentation system based on approximate feature detection with subsequent refinements. 22nd International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Sweden; 2014 Aug. p. 1704–9. CrossRef.
- Leo M, Tommaso DM. Highly usable and accurate iris segmentation. 22nd International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Sweden; 2014 Aug. p. 2489–94. CrossRef.
- Shashidhara HR, Aswath AR. A novel approach to circular edge detection for iris image segmentation. Fifth International Conference on Signal and Image Processing (ICSIP); 2014.
- Rai H, Aswath AR. Iris recognition using combined support vector machine and Hamming distance approach. Journal of Expert Systems with Applications. 2014 Feb; 41(2):588– 93. CrossRef.
- Musab AMA, Nooritawati MT. Half iris gabor based iris recognition. IEEE 10th International Colloquium on Signal and Processing and its Applications, Malaysia; 2014 Sep. p. 282–7.
- Dhage SS, Hegde SS, Manikantan K. DWT based feature extraction and radon transform based contrast enhancement for improved iris recognition. International Conference on Advanced Computing Technologies and Applications, India. 2015 Mar; 45:256–65. CrossRef.
- Chien PC, Jen CL. Using empirical mode decomposition for iris recognition. Computer Standards and Interfaces. 2009 Jun; 31(4):729–39. CrossRef.
- Bastys A, Justas K. Iris recognition by fusing different representations of multi-scale Taylor expansion. Computer Vision and Image Understanding. 2011 Jun; 115(6):804–16. CrossRef.
- Hugo P. Fusing color and shape descriptors in the recognition of degraded iris images acquired at visible wavelengths. Computer Vision and Image Understanding. 2012 Feb; 116(2):167–78. CrossRef.
- Ching HC, Chia TC. High performance iris recognition based on 1-D circular feature extraction and PSO–PNN classifier. Journal of Expert Systems with Applications. 2009 Sep; 36(7):10351–6. CrossRef.
- Fadi NS, Hafsa IH, Raja MN. Iris recognition using artificial neural networks. Expert Systems with Applications. 2011 May; 38(5):5940–6. CrossRef.
- Roy K, Prabir B, Ching YS. Towards nonideal iris recognition based on level set method, genetic algorithms and adaptive asymmetrical SVMs. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence. 2011 Apr; 24(3):458–75. CrossRef.
- Abhyankar A, Stephenie S. Iris quality assessment and biorthogonal wavelet based encoding for recognition. Pattern Recognition Letters. 2009 Sep; 42(9):1878–94. CrossRef.
- Kwang YS, Gi PN. New iris recognition method for noisy iris images. Pattern Recognition Letters. 2012 Jun; 33(8):991–9. CrossRef.
- Szewczyk R, Grabowski K. A reliable iris recognition algorithm based on reverse biorthogonal wavelet transform. Pattern Recognition Letters. 2012 Jun; 33(8):1019–26. CrossRef.
- Li P, Xiaomin L, Nannan Z. Weighted co-occurrence phase histogram for iris recognition. Pattern Recognition Letters. 2012 Jun; 33(8):1000–5. CrossRef.
- Roy K, Bhattacharya P. Iris recognition using shapeguided approach and game theory. Pattern Analysis and Applications; 2011 Nov. p. 329–48. CrossRef.
- Rahulkar AD, Holambe RS. Partial iris feature extraction and recognition based on a new combined directional and rotated directional wavelet filter bank. Journal of Neurocomputing. 2012 Apr; 81(1):12–23. CrossRef.
- Anis FMR, Hishammuddin A. A low lighting or contrast ratio visible iris recognition using iso-contrast limited adaptive histogram equalization. Knowledge-Based Systems. 2015 Jan; 74:40–8. CrossRef.
- Pillai JK, Maria P, Rama C. Cross-sensor iris recognition through kernel learning. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. 2014; 36(1):73–85. CrossRef.
- Tan C, Ajay K. Efficient and accurate at-a-distance iris recognition using geometric Key-based iris encoding. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensic and Security. 2014 Sep; 9(9):1518–26.
- Daksha Y, Kohli N, James D, Richa S. Unraveling the effect of textured contact lenses on iris recognition. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensic and Security. 2014 May; 9(5):851–62.
- Sujhata R, Lalithamani N. Counter measure for indirect attack for iris based biometric authentication. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(19):1–6.
- Tan C, Ajay K. Accurate iris recognition at a distance using stabilized iris encoding and zernike moments phase features. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. 2014 Aug; 23(9):3962–74.
- Hollingswort KP, Bowyer KW. The best bits in iris code. IEEE Transaction on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. 2009 Jun; 31(6):964–73.
- Burge MJ, Bowyer KW. Hand book of iris recognition. Advances in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Springer –Verilag, London; 2013. p. 321–36.
- Gonzalez SY, Gill JL. Iris segmentation methods and current challenges: State of art; 2014.
- CASIA-IrisV3 Interval [Internet]. Available from: http:// www.cbsr.ia.ac.cn/IrisDatabase.htm.
- Iris Challenge Evaluation (ICE) dataset [Internet]. Available from: http://iris.nist.gov/ICE/.
- UBIRIS dataset obtained from Department of Computer Science, University of Beira Interior, Portugal [Internet]. Available from: http://iris.di.ubi.pt/.
- Iris Dataset obtained from West Virginia University (WVU) [Internet]. Available from: http://citer.wvu.edu/biometric_ dataset_collections.
- Multimedia Iris Database [Internet]. Available from: http:// www1.mmu.edu.my/~ccteo/
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.