Total views : 333
An Empirical Approach to Probe the Relationship between Advertisement and Brand Image – A Rural Perspective
Background/Objectives: Brand image is a powerful asset which can be easily reached with the customer through an advertisement medium. A well recognized and trusted brand identity makes the product to reach the customer’s heart long lasting. This brand identity conjures up pictures in the psyches of the customer. The Brand image is an amalgamation of the individual’s experience based on internal and external sources. even though advertisements play a lead role in creating and re-regulating the brand image, personal experience and the persuasion of the customers may shift the customer’s mindset. Thus, it is very much vital to analyze the impact of advertisements and its role in creating a Brand image through the perception of rural customers. Methods/Statistical Tools: Based on the first objective, it is observed that the mean score of “Effect/impact of advertising can change as the brand grows older” is high (3.30) among rural customers. Factor analysis is then applied to reduce the factors and how it impacts brand image. Findings: The major factors extracted are Ads exposure, Quality Products, Purchase frequency, Product comparison, Brand image. The impact of advertisement on Brand image was found by using regression analysis and a proposed model for the study was constructed. Application/ Improvements: The current study analyzes the factors regarding the influence of advertisements among rural consumers which paves way to formulate various promotion strategies by the marketers.
Advertisements, Brand Image, Exposure, Factor Analysis, Multiple Linear Regression, Product Comparison, Purchase Frequency.
- Keller KL. Conceptualizing, measuring and managing customer-based brand equity. Journal of Marketing. 1993 Jan; 57(1):1–22.
- David J. Effects of television advertising on child’s purchase behaviour. National Institute of Psychology. Islamabad: Quaid-Azam University; 2001.
- Wells W, Burnett J, Moriarty S. Advertising principles and practice. 3rd ed. USA: Prentice Hall; 1995.
- Selvaraj A. Rural consumers behavior regarding non–durable goods: A study in Erode District of Tamil Nadu. Indian Journal of Marketing. 2007 Dec; 37(12):35–42.
- Winning over India’s Rural Consumers (2010). The Wall Street Journal – Business. 2016. Available from: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB127297096640586523
- LG Electronics. Rural is the Future (2010): The Wall Street Journal – Business. 2016. Available from: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB127313731105787137
- Purohit HC. Rural consumers expectation and buying behavior of consumer durables. 2016. Available from: http://www.smsvaranasi.com/insight/rural_consumers_expectation_and_buying_behaviour_of_consumer_durables.pdf
- Ansari ME, Joloudar YE. An investigation of TV advertisement effects on customers. International Journal of Marketing Studies. 2011 Nov; 3(4):175–81.
- Kashyap P, Raut S. The rural marketing book. Bizantra; 2007. p. 208–40.
- Ajzen I. Perceived behavioral control, self-efficacy, locus of control and the theory of planned behavior. Journal of Applied Social Psychology. 2002 Apr; 32(4):665–83.
- Smith EG, Meurs LV, Neijens PC. Effects of advertising likeability: A 10-year perspective. Journal of Advertising Research. 2002; 46(1):73–83.
- Hameed A, Waqas A, Aslam MZ, Bilal M, Umair M. Impact of TV advertisement on children buying behavior. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science. 2014 Jan 4(2):246–61.
- Gorn GJ. The effects of music in advertising on choice behavior: A classical conditioning approach. Journal of Marketing. 1982; 46(1):94–101.
- George Z. Advertising ethics: Emerging method and trends. Journal of Advertising.1994; 23(3):1–4.
- Bishop N. Advertising overload? Marketing Magazine; 1977.
- Bhatt, RG, Jaiswal MC. A study of an advertising impact and consumer reaction. Indian Journal of Marketing. 1986 Dec; 9–16.
- Venkatesh P, Sinha PK. Processing of product communication – A study of rural audience, Conference on Marketing to Rural Consumers – Understanding and tapping the rural market potential. IIM-K; 2008 Apr. p. 33–40.
- Shoaib M, Zahid Bilal M, Iqbal A, Ali Hassan S, Sher F. Mass media and consumer purchasing behavior: A case study of Lahore, Pakistan. Academic Research International. 2012 Mar; 2(2):641–50.
- Rajagopal. Impact of radio advertisements on buying behavior of urban commuters. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management. 2011 Jun; 39(7):480–503.
- Turley LW, Shannon RJ. The impact and effectiveness of advertisements in a sports arena. Journal of Services Marketing. 2000; 14(4):323–36.
- Sivanesan R. Impact of Brand image and advertisement on consumer buying behavior – Comparative study on rural and urban consumers. International Journal of Research in Management and Business Studies. 2014 Apr-Jun; 1(2):73–80.
- Kaiser HF. An index of factorial simplicity. Psychometrika.1974 Mar; 39(1):31–6.
- Field AP. Discovering statistics using SPSS 2nd ed. London: Sage; 2005.
- Cronbach LJ. Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrika. 1951 Sep; 22(3):297–334.
- Kline P. The handbook of psychological testing. 2nd ed. London: Routledge; 1999.
- Pedhazur EJ. Multiple regression in behavioral research: Explanation and prediction. 2nd ed. Fort Worth, TX: Harcourt Brace College Publishers; 1982 .
- Chiu RK, Man JSW, Thayer J. Effects of role conflicts and role satisfactions on stress of three professions in Hong Kong: A path analysis approach. Journal of Managerial Psychology. 1998; 13(5-6):318–33.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.