Total views : 741
Construction of Rural Roads using C&D Waste Materials
Objective: Soil is often weak in sustaining heavier loads. In this study, investigations are made to determine the use of C&D (Construction & Demolition) waste materials in geotechnical applications such as formation and strength improvement of rural roads, and to evaluate the effects of powdered waste bricks & prolonged stored cement in the formation of rural roads. Analysis: The results obtained are made towards the effectiveness and usability of reinforcement as a replacement for pavement works used in rural road execution works as a cost effective approach. Findings: By addition of C&D waste materials in the sub-base layer of the road structure, the conventional laterite layer of rural road formation is further strengthened, quantity of utilization of laterite is reduced and thus leads to cost reduction in road laying. Applications/ Improvements: Due to the improvement of the strength in the sub-base layer subsequently the water bound macadam layer which is laid on the top of laterite layer will be stabilized further, thus increasing the life of the rural roads to a certain extent.
CBR Test, Construction & Demolition Waste, Rural Roads, Soil Stabilization, Soil Tests, Soil Replacement, Soil Tests.
- Soil Stabilization. Available from: http://www.citg.tudelft.nl/fileadmin/Faculteit/CiTG/Over_de_faculteit/Afdelingen/Afdeling_Bouw/_Secties/Sectie_Weg_en_Railbouwkunde/-_Leerstoelen/Leerstoel_Wegbouwkunde/-_Onderwijs/-_College_Dictaten/doc/CT3041_UK_Hoofdstuk_1.pdf .Date accessed:05/04/2016
- Functions of Soil. Available from: http://civilengineeringtraining.blogspot.in/2012/12/what-is-soil-functions-of-soil-subgrade.html. Date accessed: 05/04/2016
- The need for soil stabilization. Available from: http://www.contracostalandscaping.com/the-need-for-soil-stabilization/. Date accessed: 09/04/2011
- Methods of soil stabilization. Available from: http://www.engineeringtraining.tpub.com/14070/css/14070_424.htm. Date accessed: 24/12/2010
- Sen A, Kashyap R. Department of Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology Rourkela. Soil Stabilization Using Waste Fiber Materials.
- Rafalko SD, Brandon TL, George M. Filz. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Blacksburg, Fiber Reinforcement for Rapid Stabilization of Soft Clay Soils. 2006 Nov.
- Aalok D , Sakalkal GD, Kedar Dhawale RS. Experimental Study On Stabilization Of Black Cotton Soil By Fly Ash, Coconut Coir Fiber & Crushed Glass. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering. 2014 Nov.
- Ramaji AE. School of Civil Engineering, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 14300 Nibong Tebal. A Review on the Soil Stabilization Using Low-Cost Methods, Penang, Malaysia. Journal of Applied Research. 2012; 8(4):2193–6, ISSN 1819-544X.
- Zafar Eqyaabal AMD, Ambica A. Construction of a Road in the Black Cotton Soil Using Fly Ash. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(32).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.