Total views : 294
Regional Disparities in Public Transport –A Study in Madurai District
Objectives: This paper examines the satisfaction level of villagers towards the public transport facilities provided by the Government with respect to factors like: frequency of public transport, waiting time by villagers for buses, bus provision to different areas in Madurai, number of buses operated in Utchapatti village route and service quality of public transports. Methods/Analysis: The study is a descriptive study with survey method. An interview schedule was prepared to solicit responses from villagers. The sample constituted 200 respondents from the Utchapatti village. Convenience sampling method was adopted for collecting the primary data through interview schedule. Secondary data were collected from websites and books. The data were analysed using appropriate statistical techniques such as Percentage analysis, weighted average, ANOVA and multiple regression. Findings: Compared to the bus provision to different areas and number of buses operated to the village, frequency of the bus operation is ranked high as per weighted average ranking. According to the multiple regression analysis, the variables frequency of buses and the commute time are identified as the major factors responsible for disparity in rural transport. Applications/Improvement: This paper provided a bird’s eye view of need for inclusive economic growth system which is to be initiated with mobility through provision of public transport to remote areas and the policy recommendations need to be reinvented by the Government.
Madurai District, Public Transport, Regional Disparity, Transport Facilities, Village Transport.
- Sahabandhu MJ. Activity-Based Methodology to Ascertain Transportation Needs and Allocate Financial support for Rural Bus Service. Dimension of Rural Transportation. Inter India Publication: New Delhi. 1989.
- Sri Raman S. Transport System Analysis and Policy Studies. Tata McGraw Hills Publications. 1986.
- Paulley N, Balcombe R, Mackett R, Thitheridge H, Preston JM, Wardman MR, Shires JD, White P. The Demand for Public transport: The effects of fares, quality of service, income and car ownership. Transport Policy. 2006 Jul; 13(4):295–306.
- Nandagopal DR, Chinnaiyan P. Minibus operations in some districts of Tamilnadu: A case study. Indian Journal of Transport Management. 2003 Jan–Mar; 27(1):81–90.
- Hensher DA. Productive efficiency and ownership of urban bus services. Transportation.1987 Sep; 14(3):209–25.
- Jamieson M. In: The Minibus and the Public Transport System of Kuala Lumpur. Crowthorne (ed.), Department of the Environment and Transport, Transport and Road Research Laboratory SR 678, 1981.
- Balcombe RJ. In: The Rural Transport Experiments: A Mid-term Review. Crowthorne (ed.), Department of the Environment and Transport, Transport and Road Research Laboratory SR 492, 1979.
- Hoare AG. Some Aspects of the Rural Transport Problem. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy.1975 May; 9(2):141–53.
- Agarwal AL, Mehdi S. Rural Transportation in India. Dimension of Rural Transportation. Inter-India Publication, New Delhi. 1989.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.