Total views : 190
Highly Efficient Segmentation and Classification of Premature Infants Brain MR Images at Global and Tissue Level
Objectives: Every year millions of babies born preterm and it is a serious issue in developed countries. Preterm birth is worldwide problem of young children. Methods/Statistical analysis: Advances in Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), comprehensive images of the newborn brain is visualized non-invasively. Here we are focusing on the early assessment of brain development in neonates and premature infants using multi stage segmentation and classification approach with quantitative analysis. To achieve higher segmentation and classification accuracy neural network classifier are used. It is also helpful in detection and classification of more number of brain tissues. Findings: The accurate segmentation and classification of brain tissues is very much useful in evaluating the brain development of newborn and premature infants. Therefore, newborn brain MRI forms a crucial part in analytical neuro-imaging; principally in the neonatal stage.Our method gives higher dice similarity index values and higher computational speed as compared to existing methods. Application: Resulting segmentations are used for volumetric analysis and quantification of cortical descriptions. This analysis plays vital role for neonatologists in early detection and diagnosis of neural impairments.
Classification, MRI, Multi-kernel Support Vector Machine, Newborn, Preterm, Segmentation.
- Kolk AG, Hendrikse J, Zwanenburg JJM, Visser F, Luijten PR.Clinical applications of 7T MRI in the brain. European Journal of Radiology. 2013; 18(2):708–18.
- Pennock JM.Pediatric brain MRI: applications in neonates and infants. eMagRes; 2007.
- Dubois J, Benders M, Borradori-Tolsa C, Cachia A, Lazeyras F, Leuchter HVR, Sizonenko SV, Warfield SK, ManginH. Primary cortical folding in the human newborn: an early marker of later functional development. Brain. 2008; 131:2028–41.
- Rathbone R, Counsell SJ, Kapellou O, Dyet L, Kennea N, Hajnal J, Allsop JM, CowanE. Perinatal cortical growth and childhood neuro cognitive abilities.Journal of Neurology. 2011; 77(16):1510–17.
- Osareh A, Shadgar B. A computer aided diagnosis system for breast cancer. International Journal of Computer Science. 2011; 8(2).
- Acır N, Ozdamar O,Guzelis C. Automatic classification of auditory brainstem responses using SVM-based features election algorithm for threshold detection. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence. 2006; 19:209–18.
- Valentini G, Muselli M,Ruffino F. Cancer recognition with bagged ensembles of support vector machines. Neuro Computing.2004; 56:461–6.
- Zhang YL, Guo N,Du H,Li WH. Automated defect recognition of C-SAM images in IC packaging using support vector machines. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology.2005; 25:1191–6.
- Karabatak M, Ince MC. An expert system for detection of breast cancer based on association rules and neural network. Expert Systems with Applications. 2009; 36:3465–9.
- Fatih AM. Support vector machines combined with feature selection for breast cancer diagnosis. Expert Systems with Applications. 2009; 36:3240–7.
- Freeman WT, Roth M. Orientation histograms for hand gesture recognition. In International Workshop on Automatic Face-and Gesture-Recognition; 1995.p.296–301.
- Sharma M,Dubey RB, Sujata, Gupta SK. Feature extraction of mammogram. International Journal of Advanced Computer Research.2012; 2(5).
- Singh S, Gupta PR. Breast cancer detection and classification of histopathological images. International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology.2011; 3(5).
- Priya VV, Shobarani. An efficient segmentation approach for brain tumor detection in MRI.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(19).
- Sasirekh N, Kashwan KR. Improved segmentation of MRI brain images by denoising and contrast enhancement.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(22).
- Moeskops P, Benders MJNL,Chiţa SM, Kersbergen KJ, Groenendaal F,de Vries LS, Viergever MA, Isguma I. Automatic segmentation of MR brain images of preterm infants using supervised classification.Journal of Neuro Image.2015;118:628–41.
- Available from: http://mrbrains13.isi.uu.nl/.
- Kharat KD, Kulkarni PP, Nagori MB. Brain tumor classification using neural network based methods.International Journal of Computer Science and Informatics. 2012; 1(4).
- Ali SM, Abood LK, Abdoon RS. Brain tumor extraction in MRI images using clustering and morphological operations techniques. International journal of Geographical Information System Application and Remote Sensing. 2013; 4(1).
- Cheng I, Miller SP, Duerden EG,Sun K, Chau V, Adams E, Poskitt KJ, Branson HM, Basu A. Stochastic process for white matter injury detection in preterm neonates.Journal of Neuro- Image.2015; 7:622–63.
- Makropoulos, Gousias, Ledig, Aljabar,Serag,Hajnal, Edwards, Counsell ,Rueckert. Automatic whole brain MRI segmentation of the developing neonatal brain.IEEE Transactions onMedical Imaging. 2014; 33(9):1818–31.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.