Total views : 391
Nicknames in Bashkir (Theoretical Aspects of Studying)
Background/Objectives: This research paper deals with the history of studying nicknames in Bashkir linguistics and discussion of scholarly works in science of Turkic languages illustrating linguistic, socio-cultural and historic aspects of nicknames. Methods: To carry out systemic research of the history of studying nicknames in Bashkir linguistics, descriptive and historical methods were used in this research; elements of analysis and synthesis were also applied. While using the analysis method, we discovered the place for nicknames in the system of onomastic items as a whole. Findings: Special attention is paid to the early use of such type of anthroponym in the Bashkir society and its social functions. The origin of the term 'nickname' and its components have been discovered. The authors describe categories of lexical units that served as nicknames for the Bashkirs in the past from a historic point of view. Collective nicknames and ethnonyms that are often closely linked in Bashkir are distinguished. According to the authors, a rural area has long been considered the place of highest circulation of nicknames. Attention is drawn to the fact that some individual and family nicknames, especially comonyms, became names of settlements with time. Our findings can facilitate development of descriptive lexicology. Some conclusions may be used for studying historical Bashkir grammar, Bashkir ethnography and cultural linguistics. Practical value of this research is that our findings may be relevant to compiling general and specific dictionaries, and materials of this article may be used in onomastic and ethnographic research. Improvements: Novelty of the research consists in discovering the areas of nicknames functioning in the society in the past and identifying connection between these units of onomastics and history and culture of the Bashkir nation.
Bashkir Linguistics, Nicknames, Onomastics, Study of Turkic Languages.
- Raemguzhina ZM. Bashkir Anthroponymycon in View of Language Picture of the World (Aspects of Shaping and Specifics of Functioning). Ufa: Publishing house of the Ufa Branch of the Sholokhov Moscow State University for the Humanities; 2006.
- Kusimova ТKh. Исемдљр донъяўында. Башќорт исемдљре ўЈЎлеге, башќорт ўљм рус телдљрендљ. [In the world of names. Dictionary Bashkir names in Bashkir and Russian languages]. Ufa: Bashkir Publishing House; 1991.
- Gumilev LN. Ancient Turcomen. Academy of Sciences of the SSSR. Institute for Asian nations. Moscow: Tovarishchestvo Klyshnikov-Komarov and Co.; 1993
- Makhpirov VU. Names of the ancient ancestors. Almaty: Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences; 1997.
- Begmatov EA. Anthroponymics of Uzbek: Abstract of PhD thesis in Philology. Tashkent: Nauka; 1965.
- Sadykov ZA. A system of Azerbaijani names. Tiurkskaia onomastika. Nauka: Alma-Ata; 1984.
- Pashaev AM. Nicknames in Azerbaijani: Abstract of PhD thesis in Philology. Baku; 1987.
- Gadzhieva IZ. Nicknames (ayama) in Azerbaijani. Onomastika Kavkaza: Inter-Institutional Collection of Articles. Ordzhonikidze: Sogu; 1980.
- Zhanuzakov ТZh. Personal and individual names in Kazakh: Abstract of PhD thesis in Philology. Alma-Ata; 1960.
- Shubaeva BK. Kazakh surnames. In: Onomastika Povolzhia. 2. Gorkii. 1971. p. 100-3.
- Khozhalepesova YuN. Nicknames in the system of Karakalpak anthroponimia: Abstract of PhD Thesis in Philology. Nukus; 1995.
- Sattarov G. Татар антропонимикасы. [Tatar anthroponimics]. Kazan: University of Kazan Press; 1990.
- Gasimova SI. Historical and linguistic analysis of Tatar nicknames: Thesis of PhD in philology. Kazan; 2006.
- Shailukhov AG. Semantics of individual nicknames in Tatar dialects. Onomastika Povolzhia. Saransk; 1976. P. 57-60.
- Streltsova МYu. Nicknames in Russian: Denotative types and structural and semantic models. Vladivostok: AKD; 2010.
- Koshgarii М. Дивану лугат ит турк (индекс - лугат). Tashkent; 1960.
- Gordlevskii VА. Historical Works. Vol. 1. Nauka: Moscow; 1960.
- Baskakov NА. Russian surnames of Turkic origin. Moscow: Mishel; 1993.
- Khalikova RKh. Anthroponyms in Bashkir documents of the 18th century. Ufa; Onomastika Povolzhia; 1973; 3:113-5.
- Karabaev МI. Башќорт ономастикаўы: уќыу ќулланмаўы [Bashkir onomastika: Textbook.] Ufa; 2015.
- Karabaev MI, Abdullina GR, Ishkildina ZK. Bashkir onomatology in the light of modern linguistics. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences. 2015; 6(3)S3:73-82.
- Karabaev M, Abdullina G. Bashkir anthroponomy. Modern European Researches. Salzburg: Austria; 2015; 3:73-7.
- Amirgalina GA, Abdullina GR. About classification of Bashkir nicknames by theme-based sub-groups. Proceedings of the 7th International Scientific Conference on Word, Statement, Text in the Cognitive, Pragmatic and Culturological Aspects. Encyclopedia: Cheliabinsk; 2014. p. 233-5.
- Abdullina GR, Amirgalina GA. Bashkir nicknames associated with internal psychological specifics of the man. E-Journal Concept. 2015; 13(3-13):3616–20. Available from: http://e-koncept.ru/2015/85724.htm
- Khusainov GB. The voice of centuries (in Bashkir). Ufa: Kitap Bashkir Publishing House; 1984.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.