Total views : 165
Opal-RT based Analysis and Implementation of Single Phase Cascaded Multilevel Inverter with Minimum Number of Switches
Objective: In this paper, the detailed analysis and performance of a single phase multilevel inverter topology is dicussed in order to produce a high quality of output voltage. Method: A seven level cascaded inverter topology having six switches is utilized to reduce the total harmonic distortion and the switching losses. This in turn reduces the overall cost of the system. The comparison between the proposed architecture and the existing architectures is done based on the power switches, DC voltage at the inputs, the number of clamping diodes and capacitors used. It is observed that the switch count is halved. Findings: Evaluation is done using phase disposition multicarrier pulse width modulation technique where all the carriers are in phase. Thus this technique is found to be capable of achieving minimum harmonic voltage distortion, thereby resulting in a nearly sinusoidal waveform. Improvements: The performance of the suggested topology is validated in real time environment using Opal-RT Lab simulator and adequate results were taken. The results obtained proved that by using lesser number of switches there is reduction in harmonic voltage distortion in comparison with the traditional multilevel inverter topologies.
Cascaded Multilevel Inverter, Multicarrier Pulse Width Modulation, Opal-RT, Sinusoidal Waveform, Total Harmonic Distortion.
- Shobanadevi N , Krishnamurty V , Stalin N .PISB Control of Single Phase QuasiImpedance Source DC-DC Converter Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015 July; 8(13):1–10.
- Rodriguez J, Lai JS, Peng FZ. Multilevel inverters: a survey of topologies, controls, and applications. , IEEE Trans on Indust Electronics. 2002; 49(4):724–38.
- Rasheed M, Omar R , Sabari A , Sulaiman M. Validation of a Three-Phase Cascaded Multilevel Inverter based on Newton Raphson (N.R.),Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016 May; 9(20):1–13.
- Lai JS, Peng FZ. Multilevel converters - a new breed of power converters. IEEE Transformation and Industrial Applied .1996;32(3):509–17.
- Mohammed Rasheed, Rosli Omar, Afiqah Sabari, Marizan Sulaiman,Validation of a Three-Phase Cascaded Multilevel Inverter based on Newton Raphson (N.R.),Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016 May:9(20).DOI no:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i20/89357.
- Yamini K,Vasudha B, Avinash Sharma, P. Ponnambalam.Implementation of Fuzzy Logic Controller for Cascaded Multilevel Inverter with Reduced Number of Components, Indian Journal of Science and Technology,2015 Jan: 8(S2).DOI no: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8iS2/71717.
- Siddartha K. A.,Manikanta Babu N, Suresh Y,Varun Mohan M. Enhanced Performance of a DVR using Mixed Cascaded Multilevel Inverter,Indian Journal of Science and Technology,2015 Jan:8(S2). DOI no: 10.17485/ijst/2015/ v8iS2/60445.
- Elavarasi R, SenthilKumar P. K. An FPGA Based Regenerative Braking System of Electric Vehicle Driven by BLDC Motor,Indian Journal of Science and Technology,2014 Nov:7(S7). DOI no:10.17485/ijst/2014/v7iS7/60170.
- Shivani Pasricha, Sanjay Sharma. FPGA Based Design of Reed Solomon Codes,Indian Journal of Science and Technology,2009 Apr, 2(4), Doi no: 10.17485/ijst/2009/ v2i4/29431.
- De S, Banerjee D, Sivakumar K, Gopakumar K, Ramchand R, Patel C. Multilevel inverters for low-power application.IET Power Electron.2011; 4(4):384–92.
- Ebrahimi J, Babaei E, Gharehpetian GB. A New Multilevel Converter Topology With Reduced Number of Power Electronic Components. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics.2012;59(2):655–67.
- Marchesoni M, Mazzucchelli M ,Tenconi S. A non conventional power converter for plasma stabilization. In Proceedinngs Power Electronics Specalist. Conjucation.1988.p.122–29.
- Meynard TA,Foch H. Multi-level choppers for high voltage applications. In Proceedings. European Congress Power Electronics Applied.1992;2(1):45–50.
- Nabae A, Takahashi I, Akagi H. A new neutral-point clamped PWM inverter.IEEE Transformation . Indian Applied.1981; IA-17( 5):518–23.
- Babaei E. A cascade multilevel converter topology with reduced number of switches. IEEE Transfomation. Power Electronics .2008;23(6):2657–664.
- Ebrahimi J, Babaei E, Gharehpetian GB. A New Topology of Cascaded MultilevelConverters With Reduced Number of Components for High-Voltage Applications. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics.2011;26(11):3109–118.
- Mekhilef S,Kadir MN. Novel vector control method for three-stage hybrid cascaded multilevel inverter.IEEE Transformation.Indian Electronics. 2011;58(4):1339–349.
- Babaei E, Moeinian MS. Asymmetric cascaded multilevel inverter with charge balance control of a low resolution symmetric subsystem.Elsevier Journal of Energy Conversion and Management.2010;51(11):2272–278.
- Babaei E, Hosseini SH, Gharehpetian GB, Tarafdar HM and Sabahi M.Reduction of dc voltage sources and switches in asymmetrical multilevel converters using a novel topology.Elsevier Journal of Electric Power Systems Research.2007;77(8):1073–85.
- Babaei E, Hosseini SH.New cascaded multilevel inverter topology with minimum number of switches.Elsevier Journal of Energy Conversion and Management.2009;50(11):2761–767.
- Babaei E , Hosseini SH.New multilevel converter topology with minimum number of gate driver circuits. In Proceedings.Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion, SPEEDAM International Symposium.2008.p.792–97.
- Hinago Y ,Koizumi HA. Single-Phase Multilevel Inverter Using Switched Series/Parallel DC Voltage Sources.IEEE Trans on Indust Electronic.2010;57(8):2643–650.
- Lesnicar A, Marquardt R.An innovative modular multilevel inverter topology suitable for a wide power range. In Proceedings.IEEE Power Technology Conference Proceedings.Sweden ;2003.p.1–6.
- Marquardt R, Lesnicar A.A new modular voltage source inverter topology. In Proceeding .European Power Electronics (EPE) Conference.Japan;2003.
- Babaei E, Farhadi KM, Sabahi M, Alizadeh MRP.Cascaded multilevel inverter using sub-multilevel cells.Electronic . Power Systematic. Resource.2013;96(1):101–10.
- Mosazadeh SY, Fathi SH, Radmanesh H. New high frequency switching method of cascaded multilevel inverters in PV application.In Proceeding.Power Engineering and Renewable Energy (ICPERE).2012. p.1 – 6.
- Shalchi AR, Nazarpour D, . Hosseini SH, Sabahi M.Novel multilevel inverter topologies for medium and high-voltage applications with lower values of blocked voltage by switches .IET Power Electronics.2014;7(12):3062–71.
- Panda AK, Patnaik SS.Analysis of cascaded multilevel inverters for active harmonic filtering.International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems.2015;66(1):216–26.
- RT-Lab Professional. Available from: http://www.opalrt.com/product/rt-lab-professional. Date accessed: 1/10/2014.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.