Total views : 1229
VANETs Security Issues and Challenges: A Survey
Vehicular Ad-hoc Networks (VANETs) are sought to control traffic, avoid accidents, and control other aspects of traffic. It (VANET) is a piece of critical infrastructure that bolsters traffic management efficiency and road safety. Nowadays, VANET applications have received a great deal of attention by the research community due to the important role that such networks can play. However, security in VANETs still remains a big challenge due to its nature. This survey paper sheds some light on VANETs’ vulnerabilities and attacks. It surveys and examines some recent security solutions along with their achievements and limitations. As a result, we conclude that security is the key to success for VANET applications, but still some critical challenges remain. Moreover, when designing a sufficient security solution; privacy preservation, productivity, and usability should be taken into account. Therefore, the door for future research is open for a lot more contributions in this filed.
Attacks, Privacy, Security, Threats, VANETs, Vulnerabilities.
- Jabbarpour MR, Marefat A, Jalooli A, Noor RM, Khokhar RH, Lloret J. Performance analysis of V2V dynamic anchor position-based routing protocols. Wireless Networks. 2015; 21(3):911–29.
- Malik V, Bishnoi S. Security threats in VANETS: A review; 2014.
- Wu D, Cao J, Ling Y, Liu J, Sun L. Routing algorithm based on multi-community evolutionary game for VANET. Journal of Networks. 2012; 7(7):1106–15.
- Mauri JL, Ghafoor KZ, Rawat DB, Perez JMA. Cognitive networks: Applications and deployments. CRC Press; 2014.
- Li J, Lu H, Guizani M. ACPN: A novel authentication framework with conditional privacy-preservation and non-repudiation for VANETs. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2015; 26(4):938–48.
- Sun J, Fang Y. Defense against misbehavior in anonymous vehicular ad hoc networks. Ad Hoc Networks. 2009; 7(8):1515–25.
- Lin X, Lu R, Zhang C, Zhu H, Ho P-H, Shen X. Security in vehicular ad hoc networks. IEEE Communications Magazine. 2008; 46(4):88–95.
- Ploßl K, Federrath H. A privacy aware and efficient security infrastructure for vehicular ad hoc networks. Computer Standards and Interfaces. 2008; 30(6):390–7.
- Lu C, Hongbo T, Junfei W, editors. Analysis of VANET security based on routing protocol information. 2013 4th International Conference on Intelligent Control and Information Processing (ICICIP); 2013 Jun 9-11.
- Jinyuan S, Chi Z, Yanchao Z, Yuguang F. An identity-based security system for user privacy in vehicular ad hoc networks. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2010; 21(9):1227–39.
- Al-Sultan S, Al-Doori MM, Al-Bayatti AH, Zedan H. A comprehensive survey on vehicular ad hoc network. Journal of network and computer applications. 2014; 37:380–92.
- Amoozadeh M, Raghuramu A, Chuah C-N, Ghosal D, Zhang HM, Rowe J, et al. Security vulnerabilities of connected vehicle streams and their impact on cooperative driving. IEEE Communications Magazine. 2015; 53(6):126–32.
- Tyagi P, Dembla D, editors. Investigating the security threats in Vehicular ad hoc Networks (VANETs): Towards security engineering for safer on-road transportation. 2014 International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics ICACCI; 2014 Sep 24-27.
- Soomro IA, Hasbullah H, Ab Manan J-l. Denial of Service (DOS) attack and its possible solution in VANET; 2010.
- Mary SR, Maheshwari M, Thamaraiselvan M, editors. Early detection of DOS attacks in VANET using Attacked Packet Detection Algorithm (APDA). 2013 International Conference on Information Communication and Embedded Systems (ICICES); 2013 Feb 21-22.
- Quyoom A, Ali R, Gouttam DN, Sharma H, editors. A novel mechanism of detection of Denial of Service attack (DoS) in VANET using Malicious and Irrelevant Packet Detection Algorithm (MIPDA). 2015 International Conference on Computing, Communication and Automation (ICCCA); 2015 May 15-16.
- Bibhu V, Roshan K, Singh KB, Singh DK. Performance analysis of black hole attack in VANET. International Journal of Computer Network and Information Security (IJCNIS). 2012; 4(11):47.
- Najafabadi SG, Naji HR, Mahani A, editors. Sybil attack detection: Improving security of WSNs for smart power grid application. Smart Grid Conference (SGC); 2013 Dec 17-18.
- Xiao B, Yu B, Gao C, editors. Detection and localization of sybil nodes in VANETs. Proceedings of the 2006 Workshop on Dependability Issues in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks and Sensor Networks; 2006.
- Rahbari M, Jamali MAJ. Efficient detection of sybil attack based on cryptography in vanet. arXiv preprint arXiv:11122257; 2011.
- Qu F, Wu Z, Wang F-Y, Cho W. A security and privacy review of VANETs; 2015.
- Qingzi L, Qiwu W, Li Y, editors. A hierarchical security architecture of VANET. International Conference on Cyberspace Technology (CCT 2013); 2013 Nov 23-23.
- Sumra IA, Ahmad I, Hasbullah H, Manan J-lBA, editors. Classes of Attacks in VANET. IEEE 2011 Saudi International Electronics, Communications and Photonics Conference (SIECPC); 2011.
- Rawat A, Sharma S, Sushil R. VANET: Security attacks and its possible solutions. Journal of Information and Operations Management. 2012; 3(1):301–4.
- Sumra IA, Ahmad I, Hasbullah H, bin Ab Manan JL, editors. Behavior of attacker and some new possible attacks in Vehicular Ad hoc Network (VANET). 2011 3rd International Congress on Ultra Modern Telecommunications and Control Systems and Workshops (ICUMT); 2011 Oct 5-7.
- Rathore NC, Verma S, Tomar GS, editors. CMAC: A cluster based MAC protocol for VANETs. International Conference on Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management Applications (CISIM); 2010 Oct 8-10.
- Bitam S, Mellouk A, Zeadally S. VANET-cloud: A generic cloud computing model for vehicular Ad Hoc networks. IEEE Wireless Communications. 2015; 22(1):96–102.
- Wang M, Liu D, Zhu L, Xu Y, Wang F. LESPP: Lightweight and efficient strong privacy preserving authentication scheme for secure VANET communication. Computing. 2014:1–24.
- Dietzel S, Schoch E, Konings B, Weber M, Kargl F. Resilient secure aggregation for vehicular networks. IEEE Network. 2010; 24(1):26–31.
- Molina-Gil J, Caballero-Gil P, Caballero-Gil C. Aggregation and probabilistic verification for data authentication in VANETs. Information Sciences. 2014; 262:172–89.
- Palanisamy B, Liu L, editors. Mobimix: Protecting location privacy with mix-zones over road networks. 2011 IEEE 27th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE); 2011.
- Tyagi AK, Sreenath N, editors. Location privacy preserving techniques for location based services over road networks. 2015 International Conference on Communications and Signal Processing (ICCSP); 2015 Apr 2-4.
- Azogu IK, Ferreira MT, Larcom JA, Hong L, editors. A new anti-jamming strategy for VANET metrics-directed security defense. IEEE Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps), 2013; 2013 Dec 9-13.
- Enge A. Elliptic curve cryptographic systems. Handbook of Finite Fields; 2013. p. 784–96.
- Yong H, Jin T, Yu C, Chi Z, editors. Secure data downloading with privacy preservation in vehicular ad hoc networks. 2010 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC); 2010 May 23-27.
- Zhang L, Wu Q, Qin B, Domingo-Ferrer J, Liu B. Practical secure and privacy-preserving scheme for value-added applications in VANETs. Computer Communications. 2015; 71:50–60.
- Begriche Y, Khatoun R, Khoukhi L, Chen X, editors. Bayesian-based model for a reputation system in vehicular networks. 2015 International Conference on Cyber Security of Smart Cities, Industrial Control System and Communications (SSIC); 2015 Aug 5-7.
- Li C, Wang Z. Location-based security authentication mechanism for ad hoc network. Parameters. 2012; 1:2.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.