Total views : 251
Comparison of the Performance of Hexagonal Grid and Half-cuboctahedron Grid Tensegrity Systems in Roof Structures
Objective: To study and compare the behaviour of half-cuboctahedron grid and hexagonal grid tensegrity system. Methods/ Statistical Analysis: Ever since the discovery of tensegrity, most works have been concentrated on the classification and form finding techniques but very less on the mechanics of these structures. This study focus on the behaviour of two basic tensegrity modules, the half-cuboctahedron and hexagonal. Findings: Later, the study has been extended to tensegrity grids of spans 2x2, 4x4 and 8x8 of both the configurations (hexagonal modules and half-cuboctahedron modules) which were developed using an FEM based software. The grids were compared on the basis of nodal displacements and member forces, resulting in the half-cuboctahedron grid to be a more feasible configuration for large span roof structures. Applications/ Improvements: The application of the tensegrity structure is to applied in the large span roof structures.
Form Finding, Half-cuboctahedron, Hexagonal, Member Forces, Nodal Displacements, Tensegrity.
- Harichandran A, Sreevalli IY. Form-finding of tensegrity structures based on force density method. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jun; 9(24):1–6.
- Vijay AK, Gore PN. Use of FEM and photo elasticity for shape optimization of S type load cell. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Mar; 5(3):2384–9.
- Raviteja GV, Sridevi K, Rani AJ. Performance evaluation of smart antennas employing adaptive elliptical and hexagonal arrays using particle swarm optimization and genetic algorithm. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jul; 9(26):1–7.
- Pugh A. An introduction to tensegrity, University of California press: Berkley USA; 1976.
- Prakash A, Gupta A, Bhalla S. Tensegrity based tower structures. Indian Institute of Technology: Delhi; 2007.
- Hanaor A, Liao MK. Double-layer tensegrity grids: Static load response I: Analytical study. Journal of Structural Engineering. 1991; 117(6):1660–74.
- Hanaor A. Prestressed pin-jointed structures- flexibility analysis and prestress design. Computers of Structures. 1998; 28(6):757–69.
- Rooney J, Duffy J, Lee J. Tensegrity and compegrity configurations in anti-prism manipulator platforms. Proceedings of the Tenth World Congress on the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, Finland. 1999; 3:1278–87.
- Stern IP. Development of design equations for self-deployable N- strut tensegrity systems, University of Florida: USA; 1999.
- Tibert G. Deployable tensegrity structures for space applications, Royal Institute of Technology: Stockholm; 2002.
- Zhou Y. General methods for creating tensegrity towers, Arches, Bridges and Roofs, RMIT University: Australia; 2007.
- Panigrahi R, Gupta A, Bhalla S. Dismountable steel tensegrity grids as alternate roof structures. Steel and Composite Structures. 2009; 9(3):239–53.
- Suresh B, Ramakanta P. Development, analysis and monitoring of dismountable tensegrity structure. Indian Institute of Technology: Delhi; 2007.
- Xu X, Luo Y. Multistable tensegrity structures. Journal of Structural Engineering. 2011; 137(3):117–23.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.