Total views : 320
Development of a Rainfall Rate Monitoring System for Malaysia
Floods are one of the major disasters occurring all over the world, including Malaysia. It can lead to destruction of facilities, infrastructures as well as properties. Minimizing the risk of hazards and loss can be achieved by implementing several measures. Motivated from one of the biggest flood disasters ever occurred in the country, this monitoring system is developed as a means to reduce the risk of loss and damages. Monitoring rainfall rate may assist the community as it can provide early flood forecasting even though it cannot fully prevent the flood. Besides, it can give additional information on the probability of landslide occurrences. This paper presents the development of useful and reliable rainfall rate monitoring system for online hydrological stations in Kelantan. The whole processes in the development of this first prototype are conducted and performed using open-source software and tools such as Visual Basic and Quantum GIS (QGIS).
Flood, Rain Gauge, Rainfall Rate, Real-Time Monitoring.
- Banjir kuning bagai tsunami ancam Kelantan. Berita Harian Online. Available from: http://www.bharian.com.my/node/29743
- Banjir besar di Kelantan? Utusan Online. Available from: http://m.utusan.com.my/berita/nahas-bencana/banjir-besar-di-kelantan-1.169494
- Kelantan. Google Maps. Available from: https://www.google.com.my/maps/place/Kelantanfirstname.lastname@example.org,100.8787088,8z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x31b5d97264fa1a59:0x6ec97bbb4a9fbcf0?hl=en
- Banjir di Kelantan semakin buruk, mangsa di enam negeri lebih 225,000. Astro Awani. Available from: http://www.astroawani.com/berita-banjir/banjir-di-kelantan-semakin-buruk-mangsa-di-enam-negeri-lebih-225-000-51137
- “Banjir: Reka bentuk sekolah baharu di Pantai Timur dikaji”. http://www.utusan.com.my/pendidikan/banjir-reka-bentuk-sekolah-baharu-di-pantai-timur-dikaji-1.47211. Utusan Online. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- Fenomena ‘new moon’ burukkan keadaan banjir. Utusan Online. Available from: http://www.utusan.com.my/berita/nasional/fenomena-8216-new-moon-8217-burukkan-keadaan-banjir-1.40028
- What is a pregian spring tide? United States Department of Commerce: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Available from: http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/perigean-spring-tide.html
- Chan Y, Mori M. Web-based flood monitoring system using Google Earth and 3D GIS. 2011 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS); 2011. p. 1902–5.
- Shaohong S, Chen P. A real-time flood monitoring system based on GIS and hydrological model. IEEE 2010 International Conference on Environmental Science and Information Application Technology (ESIAT); 2010. p. 605–8.
- Haq M, Akhtar M, Muhammad S, Paras S, Rahmatullah J. Techniques of remote sensing and GIS for flood monitoring and damage assessment: A case study of Sindh province, Pakistan. The Egyptian Journal of Remote Sensing and Space Science. 2012; 15(2):135–41.
- Jeyaseelan AT. Droughts and floods assessment and monitoring using remote sensing and GIS. Satellite Remote Sensing and GIS Applications in Agricultural Meteorology. 2003. p. 291–313.
- Shukla S, Pandey G. To design an architectural model for flood monitoring using wireless sensor network system. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technology. 2014; 5:502–7.
- Kelantan. InfoBanjir. Available from: http://infobanjir2.water.gov.my/rainfall_page.cfm?state=KEL
- DID Manual. Department of Irrigation and Drainage, Government of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur: Hydrology and Water Resources; 2009.
- Rain Gauges. All Weather, Inc Available from: http://www.allweatherinc.com/meteorological-sensors/precipitation-gauges
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.