Total views : 400
Soft-Switching Bidirectional Buck Boost Converter with Simple Auxiliary Circuit
Objectives: The intention of this paper is to project a soft switching bidirectional buck boost converter with high efficiency, simple structure for the application of battery charging and discharging. Methods/Statistical Analysis: MATLAB/ SIMULINK software has been used to obtain the simulation results and thereby efficiency of the projected configuration is evaluated and examine with the traditional transformer less bi-directional converters. Findings: The proposed converter introduces a simple auxiliary circuit that not only reduces the switching stress but also provides high efficiency to the converter. This non isolated soft switching bidirectional buck-boost converter operation is based on two categories namely Boost and Buck mode as same that of other bidirectional converter (BDC) topologies but with simple characteristics. The proposed converter with auxiliary/snubber achieves soft switching at all step-up and step-down modes. The various operational modes of the proposed method have been investigated throughout the paper. Application/Improvements: The proposed system is suitable for battery charging and discharging systems.
Auxiliary Circuit, Battery Charging and Discharging, Bidirectional Buck-Boost Converter, Efficiency, Soft Switching.
- Zhu L. A novel soft-commutating isolated boost full-bridge zvs-pwm dc-dc converter for bidirectional high power applications. IEEE Transactions of Power Electronics. 2006; 21(2):422–9.
- Inoue S, Akagi H. A bidirectional dc-dc converter for an energy storage system with galvanic isolation.IEEE Transactions of Power Electronics. 2007; 22(6): 2299–306.
- Reimann T, Szeponik S, Berger G. A novel control principle of bi-directional dc-dc power conversion. In Proceeding of Power Electronics Special Conference, USA. 1997. p.978–84.
- Doncker DRW, Divan DM, Kheraluwala MH. Power conversion apparatus for dc-dc conversion using dual active bridges. 2007; OS. Patent No. 5, 027,261.
- Santhoshi KB, Sundaram MK, Sivasubramanian M, Akila S. A novel multiport bidirectional dual active bridge dc-dc converter for renewable power generation systems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016; 9(1):1–4.
- Moses BM, Banu BJ. A new isolated bidirectional full bridge buck-boost converter with LCD clamp circuit. IEEE Conference on Energy Conversion (CENCON), Johor bahru, Malaysia. 2015. p. 25–30.
- Watson R, Lee FC. A soft-switched full-bridge boost converter employing an active-clamp circuit. In Proceeding of Power Electronics Special Conference, USA. 1996. p.1948–54.
- Wu TF, Yang JG, Kuo CL, Sun KH, Chen YK. Comparison of bi-directional isolated full-bridge converters with combinations of active and passive snubbers. In Proceedings IEEE Power Electronics Special Conference, USA. 2011. p.127–33.
- Baei M. A new zvs-pwm full-bridge boost converter.Journal of Power Electronics. 2014; 14(2): 237–48.
- Usha S, Subramani C, Naidu DB, Venkatesh VMSR.Analysis of non-isolated bidirectional active clamped dc-dc converter for pv and battery integrated systems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(22):1–7.
- Kang T, Kim C, Suh Y. A design and control of bidirectional non isolated dc-dc converter for rapid electric vehicle charging system. 27th annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), India.2012. p. 14–21.
- Redl R, Molnar B, Sokal NO. Class E resonant regulated dc/dc power converters: Analysis of operation and experimental results at 1.5 MHz. IEEE Transactions of Power Electronics. 1986; 1(2):111–20.
- Liu KH, Oruganti R, Lee FC. Quasi-resonant converters topologies and characteristics. IEEE Transactions of Power Electronics. 1987; 2(1):62–71.
- Hua G, Leu C, Jiang Y, Lee FC. Novel zero-voltage transition pwm converters. IEEE Transactions of Power Electronics.1994; 9(2):213–9.
- Lee DY, Kee MK, Hyun DS, Choy I. New zero-currenttransition PWM DC/DC converters without current stress.IEEE Transactions of Power Electronics. 2003; 18(1): 95–104.
- Mirzaei A, Jusoh A, Salam Z. Design and implementation of high efficiency non-isolated bidirectional zero voltage transition pulse with modulated DC-DC converters.Elsevier Energy. 2012; 47(1):358–69.
- Kang J, Han SK, Han J. Lossless snubber with minimum voltage stress for continuous current mode tapped-inductor boost converters for high step-up applications. Journal of Power Electronics. 2014; 18(4): 621–31.
- Rishma AA, Rajeswari RP, Sasikumar M. High efficiency modified pulse width modulation bidirectional converters for medium power drives. IJAIEM. 2012; 1(2):94–100.
- Jung DY, Hwang SH, Ji YH, Lee JH, Jung YC, Won CY.Soft-switching bidirectional dc/dc converter with a lc series resonant circuit. IEEE Trans Power Electron. 2013; 28(4):1680–90.
- Lee JH, Yu DH, Kim JG, Kim YH. Auxiliary switch control of a bidirectional soft-switching dc/dc converter. IEEE Trans Power Electronics. 2013 Dec; 28(12):5446–57.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.