Total views : 128
Transeversely Rough Narrow Width Tapered Pad Bearing
Objective: The article is aim to analyse the behaviour of a transversely rough narrow width tapered pad bearing. Design/methodology/approach: The stochastic model of Christensen and Tonder has been utilized to find the effect surface roughness. The associated stochastically averaged Reynolds type equation is discussed to attain the pressure distribution,load carrying capacity and friction. Findings: The findings suggest that the effect of transverse surface roughness remains adverse. However, the situation gets better in the case of negatively skew roughness. This positive effect improves when variance ( -ve) occurs. Application: There was no reults on the effect of transverse roughness on the performance of narrow width tapered pad bearing. Although there were some discussion on the effect of longitudinal roughness. Therefore, it was decided to evaluate the effect of transverse roughness in general.
Friction, Load Carrying Capacity, Pressure, Surface Roughness, Tapered Pad Bearing
- Fogg A. Fluid film lubrication of parallel thrust surfaces.Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.1946;155(1):49–67.Available from:https://doi.org/10.1243/ PIME_PROC_1946_155_011_02
- Gregory R. S. Performance of thrust bearings at high operating speeds. Journal of Lubrication Technology.1974; 96(1):7–13. Available from:https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3451888 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3451918
- Aihara, S. A new running torque formula for tapered roller bearings under axial load. ASME J. Tribol. 1987;109(3): 471-477.Available from:https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3261475
- Rodkiewicz, Cz M., Kim K. W, Kennedy J. S. On the significance of the inlet pressure build-up in the design of tilting-pad bearings. Journal of Tribology.1990; 112(1):17– 22. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2920224
- Andharia, P. I, Gupta J. L, Deheri G. M. Effect of surface roughness on hydrodynamic lubrication of slider bearings.Tribology transactions. 2001;44(2): 291–97.Available from: https://doi.org/10.1080/10402000108982461
- Najar Farooq Ahmad G. A, Harmain. Numerical Investigation of Pressure Profile in Hydrodynamic Lubrication Thrust Bearing. International Scholarly Research Notices,2014.PMid:27350977 PMCid:PMC4897470.
- Tong, Van-Canh, Seong-Wook Hong. The effect of angular misalignment on the running torques of tapered roller bearings. Tribology International 2016; 95:76–85.Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.triboint.2015.11.005
- Henry Y. J, Bouyer, Fillon M. An experimental hydrodynamic thrust bearing device and its application to the study of a tapered-land thrust bearing. Journal of Tribology. 2014; 136(2): 021703. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4026080
- Song, Yin, et al. Experimental and Numerical Studies of Cavitation Effects in a Tapered Land Thrust Bearing.Journal of Tribology. 2015; 137(1):011701.Available from: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4028264
- Andharia P. I, Gupta J. L, Deheri G. M. On the shape of the lubricant film for the optimum performance of a longitudinal rough slider bearing. Industrial Lubrication and Tribology. 2000;52(6):273–76.Available from: https://doi.org/10.1108/00368790010352682
- Deheri, G. M, Andharia P. I, Patel R. M. Longitudinally rough slider bearings with squeeze film formed by a magnetic fluid. Industrial Lubrication and Tribology.2004;56(3):177–87.Available from: https://doi.
- Mazurkow, Aleksander. The verification of adiabatic model of a lateral sliding bearing with a floating ring bearing.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010; 3(6):620– 26.
- Christensen H, Tonder K. The hydrodynamic lubrication of rough bearing surfaces of finite width. Journal of Lubrication Technology. 1971; 93(3):.324–29.
- Christensen H, Tonder K. «The hydrodynamic lubrication of rough journal bearings. Journal of Lubrication Technology. 1973;95(2):166–72.Available from: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3451759
- Tønder K, Christensen H. Waviness and roughness in hydrodynamic lubrication. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. 1972;186(1)807–12.Available from: https://doi.org/10.1243/PIME_PROC_1972_186_096_02
- Patil R. B. Industrial Tribology.2nd education Tech Max Publications, Pune, India;2012.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.