Total views : 110
Cross Layer Design using k-NN based AMC with ILDPCA Encoder and IR-HARQ for MIMO Systems
Objectives: The objective of using cross layer approach in Adaptive Modulation and Coding (AMC) based wireless systems is to enhance the spectral efficiency and reliability of transmission n time varying MIMO channel. Methods: A cross layered design using k-NN based AMC with Improved Low-Density Parity Check Accumulate codes (ILDPCA) that opt for nonuniform division of check nodes at the physical layer and Incremental Redundancy Hybrid Retransmission Request (IRHARQ) at the link layer is implemented. The encoded symbols are routed consecutively over MIMO fading channels. The MIMO channel is predicted at the receiver and is forwarded to the AMC controller. IR-HARQ regulates packet retransmission with new codeword on failure. Findings: The performance of the cross layer design is assessed in terms of BER, packet loss and spectral efficiency. The proposed cross layer with ILDPCA coders improves the spectral efficiency by 45% compared to the conventional systems but still maintaining acceptable PLR. Application: Therefore the proposed adaptive system can be adopted for reliable adaptive transmission over MIMO network and is suitable for multimedia applications.
Cross Layer, Multiple Input Multiple Output, Reliability, Wireless System Design
- Zhou S, Zhang K, Niu Z, Yang Y. Queuing analysis on MIMO systems with adaptive modulation and coding.IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC); Beijing. 2008.
- Lu G, Li B, Wang H, Song Y. Adaptive modulation and coding for MIMO systems with V-BLAST detection. IEEE 66th Vehicular Technology Conference.VTC- Fall; Beijing. 2007.
- Toumpakaris D, Lee J, Matache A, Lou HL. Performance of MIMO HARQ under receiver complexity constraints. IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, GLOBECOM; USA. 2008.
- Stiglmayr S , Klotz J , Bossert M. Adaptive coding and modulation in MIMO OFDMA system. IEEE 19th International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications;.2008. p. 1–5.
- Wasan K, Saad S, Ismail M, Nordin R. Survey of adaptive modulation scheme in MIMO Transmission. Journal Of Communications. 2012.
- Yun S, Caramanis C. Multiclass support vector machines for adaptation in MIMO-OFDM wireless systems. Proceedings of 47th Annual Allerton Conference; USA: Allerton House, UIUC. 2009. p. 1145–52.
- Yun S, Caramanis C. Reinforcement learning for link adaptation in MIMO-OFDM wireless systems. IEEE Globecom Proceedings; USA. 2010.
- Modi B, Olabiyi O, Annamalai A, Vaman D. Improving the spectral efficiency of adaptive modulation in amplifyand-forward cooperative relay networks with an adaptive ARQ protocol. IEEE Globecom Proceedings; USA.2011.
- Harsini JS, Lahouti F, Levorato, Zorzi MM. A Type II hybrid ARQ protocol with adaptive modulation and coding for time-correlated fading channels: Analysis and design.Proceedings of IEEE ICC; South Africa. 2010.
- Villa T, Merz R, Knopp R, Takyar U. Adaptive modulation and coding with hybrid-ARQ for latency-constrained networks.Proceedings of 18th European Wireless Conference European Wireless EW; Poland. 2012.
- Yu C, Sharma G. Improved Low-Density Parity Check Accumulate (LDPCA) codes. IEEE Transactions on Communications.2013; 61:3590–9.
- Johannesson E, Ghulchak A, Rantzer A, Bernhardsson B.MIMO encoder and decoder design for signal estimation.Proceedings of 19th International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems – MTNS; Budapest, Hungary. 2010. p. 2019–25.
- MBabu DSM, Vinutha MR, Uma C. Design and implementation of MIMO-OFDM using encoding and decoding techniques on FPGA. International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research. 2014; 5:930–44.
- Thakur G. Spread spectrum codes for continuous-phase modulated systems. IEEE Transactions on Communications.2014; 62:952–60.
- Dharshini JSP, Subramanyam MV, Soundararajan K.Cross-layer approach using k-NN based Adaptive Modulation Coding (AMC) and incremental redundancy hybrid automatic repeat request (IR-HARQ) for MIMO. International Journal of Electronics Communication and Computer Engineering. 2014; 5:1124–1.
- Dharshini JSP, Subramanyam MV, Soundararajan. Mobile and wireless technology. Enhanced adaptive modulation and coding (AMC) technique using ILDPCA coders over MIMO channel. Bangkok: LNEE Springer Series; 2015. p.65–74.
- Dharshini SPJ, Subramanyam MV, Soundararajan K. Adaptive modulation and coding with incremental redundancy hybrid ARQ in MIMO systems: A cross layered design. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications.2013; 3(5):503–7.
- Gomathi N, Raghavendran S, Darwin P, Sugumaran D.Cross layer architecture for maintaining QoS in multi media applications. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016 Aug; 9(31).
- Ramprabu G, Nagarajan S. Design and analysis of novel modified cross layer controller for WMSN. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Mar; 8(5).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.