Total views : 243
QRS Complex and T Wave Detection using STFT
Objective: Precisely localize QRS complex and T wave of Electrocardiogram (ECG). Severe cardiovascular abnormalities like Ventricular Arrhythmias, Ventricular Hypertrophy, and Myocardial Infarction may occur due to the ventricular tissue dysfunctioning. The morphological changes in QRS and T wave of ECG represent the depolarization and repolarization disturbances and analysis of these segments alone may lead to identifying certain acute cardiac condition. Methodology: Presented algorithm comprises of three stages; 1. Pre-processing of input ECG signal (High-pass filter and Kalman filter), 2. Elimination of P wave (Difference Operation Method and Wavelet Transform), 3. Detection of QRS and T wave using Short Term Fourier Transform (STFT). Findings: The algorithm efficiency is evaluated with standard MIT-BIH Arrhythmia database. The Sensitivity (Se) and the Specificity (Sp) for QRS complex is found to be 99.59% and 99.53%, whereas for T wave it is of 99.50% and 99.44% respectively. Application/Scope: This algorithm could be implemented in real-time ECG analyzer for possible detection of ventricular chronic heart disease and may reduce the risk of sudden cardiac death.
MIT-BIH Arrhythmia Database, Pre-Processing, QRS Complex, STFT, T Wave.
- Pan J, Tompkins WJ. A real-time QRS detection algorithm. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 1985 Mar; 32(3):230-6.
- Rosenbaum DS. Electrical alternant and vulnerability to ventricular arrhythmias. N Engl J Med. 1994; 330(4):235–41.
- Smith JM. Electrical alternant and cardiac electrical instability. Circulation. 1988; 77(1):110–21.
- Nearing BD. Dynamic tracking of cardiac vulnerability by complex demodulation of the T wave. Science. 1991; 252(1):437–40.
- Li C. Detection of ECG characteristic points using wavelet transforms. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 1995; 42(1):21–8.
- Martinez JP. Evaluation of a wavelet-based ECG waveform detector on the QT database. Computers in Cardiology. 2000; 27(3):81–4.
- Martinez JP. A wavelet-based ECG delineator: Evaluation on standard databases. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2004; 51(4):570–81.
- Goutas A. Digital fractional order differentiation based algorithm for P and T-waves detection and delineation. ITBM-RBM. 2005; 26(2):127–32.
- Sun Y. Characteristic wave detection in ECG signals using morphological transform. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders. 2005; 5(28):28–34.
- Andreao RV. ECG signal analysis through hidden Markov models. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2006; 53(8):1541–9.
- Mehta SS, Lingayat NS. Comparative study of QRS detection in single lead and 12-lead ECG based on entropy and combined entropy criteria using support vector machine. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology. 2007; 3(1):8–18.
- Arzeno NM. Analysis of first-derivative based QRS detection algorithms. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2008; 55(2):478–84.
- Al-Manie MA. Deconvolution methods for biomedical signals analysis. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010 Feb; 3(2):105-9.
- Rao PT, Rao SK, Manikanta G, Kumar SR. Distinguishing normal and abnormal ECG signal. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(10):1-5.
- Saritha C. ECG signal analysis using wavelet transforms. Bulg J Phys. 2008; 35:68–77.
- Dasgupta H. Human age recognition by electrocardiogram signal based on artificial neural network. Sens Imaging. 2016; 17(4):1-9.
- Hargittai S. Efficient and fast ECG baseline wander reduction without distortion of important clinical information. Computers in Cardiology. 2008; 35:841−4.
- Avendano LE, Castellanos CG, Ferrero JM. Spectrum estimation and adaptive denoising of electrocardiographic signals using Kalman filters. Computers in Cardiology. 2006; 33: 925−8.
- Yeh YC, Wang WJ. QRS complexes detection for ECG signal: The difference operation method. Computer Methods and Programs In Biomedicine. 2008; 91(3):245–54.
- Rangayyan RM. Biomedical signal analysis: A case-study approach. New York: Wiley–Interscience; 2001. p. 18–28.
- Sasikala P, Banu WRSD. Extraction of P wave and T wave in electrocardiogram using wavelet transform. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies. 2011; 2(1):489-93.
- Goldberger AL, Amaral AL, Glass L, Hausdorff JM, Ivanov PC, Mark RG, Mietus JE, Moody GB, Peng CK, Stanley HE, Bank P, Toolkit P. PhysioNet: Components of a new research resource for complex physiologic signals. Circulation. 2000; 101(23):215-20.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.