Total views : 206
An Integrated Approach to Automated Control for Air-Conditioned Home Apartments using Wireless Sensor Network
Objectives: Home automation is achievable with an integrated approach using Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs). This paper presents the implementation of such integrated approach to automating the air-conditioning of various apartments. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The developing of an integrated system consisting of network of wireless sensor nodes with well selected components and resourceful capabilities is explained. This network is incorporated to a control unit connected to air-conditioning systems in various home apartments for automation and central remote control through short service message (sms). Findings: An integrated system comprising three resulting characterized sensor nodes and one sink node being integrated with the automated control unit for the air-conditioning systems were implemented and tested. The system was designed with well selected intelligent temperature/humidity DHT22 sensors, homogenous XBee radios, arduino boards and wireless network protocol to deliver remotely monitored parameters from the sensor nodes to a base station. The resulting composite units of the implemented system were products of the best parameters trade-off in the selection of components and protocols. The same sensor nodes can be increased to the number of target apartments and integrated to the network system. The transfer of monitored data to the central hub was wireless and the mode of sending commands to the control unit was through short message service. The approach conserves energy consumption as it saves the loss time involved in continuous operation of air-conditioning systems. The system also reduces the health risk in poorly air-conditioned environment for elderly and infants. Applications/ Improvements: The approach can be extended to controlling other appliances in full home automation set-up.
Automated, Air-Condition, Integrated, Nodes, Wireless, WSN.
- Ahmadu TO, Folayan CO, Anafi FO. Modeling, simulation and optimization of a solar absorption air conditioning system for an office block in Zaria, Nigeria. International Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration. 2016; 24(2):1-12.
- Salamaca F, Georgescu M, Mahalov A, Moustaoui M. Summertime response of temperature and cooling energy demand to urban expansion in a semiarid environment. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology. 2015; 54(8):1756-72.
- Kim Y, Yoon H. A high temperature measuring device development for die casting molten metal deposition. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(24):1-5.
- Arnold F, DeMallie I, Florence L, Kashinski DO. Method for collecting thermocouple data via secured shell over a wireless local area network in real time. Review of Scientific Instruments. 2015; 86(3):35112.
- ParvezIqbal AKM, Aris I, Rahman MM, Misron N. Design and optimization of the housing of spray unit of a linear motor operated spray gun. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 6(8):5168–75.
- Rudolf A, Walther T. Laboratory demonstration of a Brillouin lidar to remotely measure temperature profiles of the ocean. Optical Engineering. 2014; 53(5):51407.
- Onibonoje MO, Umeh UN, Kehinde LO. Development of an Arduino-based trainer for building a wireless sensor network in an undergraduate teaching laboratory. International Journal of Electrical and Electronic Science. 2015; 2(3):64–73.
- Indhumathi S, Venkatesan D. Improving coverage deployment for dynamic nodes using genetic algorithm in wireless sensor networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(16):1-6.
- Zhao G. Wireless Sensor Networks for industrial process monitoring and control: A survey. Network Protocols and Algorithms. 2011; 3(1):46–63.
- Arvind RV, Raj RR, Raj RR, Prakash NK. Industrial Automation using Wireless Sensor Network. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(11):1-8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.