Total views : 1876
Investigation on Al6061 Silver Coated Copper Metal Matrix Composite in Pre and Post Heat Treated Condition
Objectives: The usage of Al6061 metal matrix composites as fins (extended surfaces), and the effect of heat treatment on the MMC's is pursued for the variations in fin efficiency. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Based on above requirement a metal matrix composite is prepared by the addition of silver treated copper particles in different weight percentages to the base metal Al 6061. Then the prepared MMC's are heat treated and solution zed. Test specimens (as-cast and heat treated) are statistically investigated using Taguchi and ANOVA (Analysis Of Variance). The performance of base metal, pre and post heat treated MMC's are compared on the basis of heat dissipation rate in pin fin apparatus for forced convection. Findings: Highest heat input of 65W, concentration of 15% and a distance of 2.7 cm is found to be effective for heat dissipation. Efficiency of heat treated Al 6061 Silver coated Copper MMC has augmented by 39% compared to base metal. Application: These MMC's has major application in heat sinks, Fins of condensers and evaporators etc.
Al 606, ANOVA, Heat Dissipation, 1Heat Treatment, MMC’s, Taguchi Analysis.
- Harahap F, McManus HN. Natural convection heat transfer from horizontal rectangular fin arrays. Journal of Heat Transfer. 1967; 89(1):32-38. Crossref
- Welling JR, Wooldridge CN. Free convection heat transfer coefficients from vertical fins. Journal Heat Transfer. 1965; 87(4):439-44. Crossref
- Leung CW, Probert SD, Shilston MJ. Heat exchanger: optimal separation for vertical rectangular fins protruding from a vertical rectangular base. Applied Energy. 1985; 19(2):77-85. Crossref
- Yuncu H, Guvenc A. An experimental investigation on performance of fins on a horizontal base in free convection heat transfer. Heat Mass Transfer. 2001; 37(4-5):409-16. Crossref
- Starner KE, McManus HN. An experimental investigation of free convection heat transfer from rectangular fin arrays. Journal of Heat Transfer. 1963; 85(3): 273-78. Crossref1 Crossref2
- Jones CD, Smith LF. Optimum arrangement of rectangular fins on horizontal surfaces for free convection heat transfer. Journal of Heat Transfer. 1970; 92 (1):6-10. Crossref
- Yuncu H, Anbar G. An experimental investigation on performance of rectangular fins on a horizontal base in free convection heat transfer. Heat Mass Transfer. 1998; 33(56):507-14. Crossref
- Yuncu H, Yildiz S. An experimental investigation on performance of annular fins on a horizontal cylinder in free convection heat transfer. Heat Mass Transfer. 2004; 40:239-51. Crossref
- Kumar KP, Vinay PV, Siddhardha R. CFD Analysis of Tree Shaped Fin Array on Flat and Symmetrical Wedge Shaped Base Plate. Journal of Thermal Engineering and Applications. 2014; 1(1):1-6.
- Sukumar RS, Sriharsha G, Arun SB, Dilipkumar P, Naidu S. Modeling and Analysis of Heat Sink With Rectangular Fins Having Through Holes. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications (IJERA). 2013; 3(2):1557-61.
- Wange SM, Metkar RM. Computational Analysis of Inverted Notched Fin Arrays Dissipating Heat by Natural Convection. International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT). 2013; 2(11):245-49.
- Jaluria Y, Yang J. A Review of Microscale Transport in the Thermal Processing of New and Emerging Advanced Materials. Journal of Heat Transfer. 2011; 133(6):14. Crossref
- Barhatte SH, Chopade MR. Experimental and Computational Analysis and Optimization for Heat Transfer through Fins with Triangular Notch. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering. 2012; 2(7):1-5.
- Kraus AD, Bar-Cohen A. Design and Analysis of Heat Sinks. John Wiley and Sons. New York. 1995; p. 424.
- Kim SH, Ananda NK. Laminar developing flow and heat transfer between a series of parallel plates with surface mounted discrete heat sources. International Journal Heat Mass Transfer. 1994; 37(15):22-31. Crossref
- Taguchi C. Introductions to Quality Engineering. Asian Productivity Organization: Tokyo. 1990.
- Cingi C, Rauta V, Suikkanen E, Orkas J. Effect of Heat Treatment on Thermal Conductivity of Aluminum Die Casting Alloys. Advanced Materials Research. 2012; 538-541:20472052. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.