Total views : 517
Corporate Governance – The Importance of Communication and Culture
Objectives: The purposefulness of the paper is to examine the significance of independence in corporate governance, issues and challenges that independent directors have to face and the importance of culture and communication. Analysis and Findings: The paper investigates how a firm’s governance maps between corporate governance and independent directors. Corporate Governance is a fundamental significance to an establishment as it undoubtedly augments a company’s image in the public. It is about establishing values and principles into every aspect of business. It acts as a pillar for the reliability and stability of any establishment. When performed successfully, it can prevent corporate humiliations, counterfeit, civil and criminal liabilities of the company. The importance of independence in corporate governance is vital and an essential component for efficiency. However, corporate governance structures differ from country to country and thus largely influenced by culture. Communication between management, independent directors, stakeholders, shareholders and customers who do not share a common language or culture can always become a concern. Further independent directors are perceived as the key boundary between management, then, they are understood as the marginal shareholders or stakeholders. Needless to state, to improve corporate governance independent directors with excellent business tactics, dedication, cultural tolerance and positive attitude are essential since this helps remarkably in the growth of a company. However, to achieve an effective role in protecting the company’s objective in terms of sustainable grow this a remarkable challenge. This is because of strong review from stakeholders, substantial demands imposed and an increase in overall difficulty of the business setting and cultural exchanges. The high competency of independent directors and understanding the cultural aspects of the country by management would make corporate governance a great success. If an implementation of effective corporate governance joined with communication and diversity awareness, the revenue and market share improves along with enhancing image of the business.
Challenges, Corporate Culture Communication Barriers, Corporate Governance, Independent Directors.
- CSR Quest. Corporate Governance Definition, 2014.
- Millstein IM. The Basics of a Stable Global Economy. The Journal of Commerce, 1998.
- Shvyreva IO, Kruglyak ZI. Problems of Professional Judgment Application in Evaluating the Company’s Going Concern. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Apr; 9(14):1–11.
- Dasgupta S, Ghatge A. Understanding the Stickiness of Corporate Social Responsibility Reporting as a Post Globalization Digital Marketing Strategy: A Study of Multinational Automobile Companies in India. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Feb; 8(S4):283–92.
- OECD Principles of Corporate Governance. Organisation for Economic co-operation and development, 1999.
- Shulgin KVV, Sergey AO, Fedorov S, Demurchev NG, Gritsenko AV, Naumenko VV. The Method of Constructing an Integrated Corporate Information System. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jun; 9(21):1–11.
- OECD. OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises, 2008.
- African Peer Review Mechanism Standards. APRM Governance Standards an Indexed Collection, 2007.
- Li J, Harrison JR. Corporate Governance and National Culture: A Multi- Country Study. Corporate Governance. 2008; 8(5):607–21.
- Powys County Council, Council and Democracy. The Corporate Governance Manual - Why is Corporate Governance Important? 2016.
- OECD. OECD Principles of Corporate Governance, 2004.
- Țarțavulea. Implementation of corporate governance principles in Romania. The Romanian Economic Journal, Year XVII. 2014; 54.
- International Finance Corporation. Corporate Governance, 2014.
- Thomson, LM. What is Corporate Governance? Economic Times, 2009.
- Ernst Young Pvt. Ltd. Corporate governance: Changing regulatory scenario and the role of the independent director - Independent directors and corporate governance, 2012.
- Ernst Young Pvt. Ltd. Building a better working world (n.d). Corporate governance: Changing regulatory scenario and the role of the independent director, 2012.
- Rafiee V, Sarabdeen J. The cultural influence in the practice of corporate governance in emerging markets. The University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD). 2012.
- Llopis J. Gonzalez MR, Gasco LJ. Corporate Governance and Organizational Culture. The role of Ethics officers. 2007.
- KPMG. The Role of Independent Directors – issues and challenges, 2011.
- Maassen GF. An International Comparison of Corporate Governance Models, 1999.
- Maharaj A. Culture and corporate governance go hand in hand. Business Insider. 2011.
- NFCG National Declamation Contest 2014. Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, 2014.
- Abrahams C. Corporate Culture: Foundational Groundwork for an Enterprise GRC (EGRC) Solution, 2011.
- Ganapathi N, Panchanatham N. The Role of Human Resource Management in Cross-Cultural Environment - The Way to Managerial Communication. 2014.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit. Competing across borders – How cultural and communication barriers affect business. The Economist, 2012.
- WordPress. Corporate Governance, 2014.
- Froese FJ. Culture and Corporate Governance, 2012.
- Wigmore I. Corporate Culture. WhatIs.Com, 2013.
- Mohamad S. The Importance of effective Corporate Governance, 2004.
- ZimmerliCh W. Richter K, Holzinger M. Corporate Ethics and Corporate Governance. 2007; 240 pp.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.