Total views : 340
Preliminary Study on the Development of Concrete with Sea Sandas Fine Aggregate
Background/Objectives: In this study, the construction industries expect a serious shortage of sand in the near future due to over exploitation of river sand. This paper deals with the use of sea sand as substitute for conventional river sand. Methods/Statistical Analysis: M20 concrete mix was designed with sea sand as fine aggregate and the workability, strength in compression and split tension and water absorption characteristics are determined and compared with conventional concrete. Findings: The sea sand, as available, is inferior to conventional river sand but proper washing for two times make it feasible for making concrete. For M20 grade concrete, two times washed sea sand can be used as fine aggregate totally replacing river sand as the workability and strength characteristics reach within the limits of acceptable level. Sea sand utilization is cost effective in coastal line construction.
Alternative to River Sand,Sea Sand, Sea Sand Concrete, Strength.
- Ramesh R, Lakshmi A, Purvaja R. Indian coastal policy: A review. Proceedings, ESPA Workshop, 2009 Apr, Institute for Ocean Management, Chennai, India.
- Balamurugan R. Disaster management in tsunami affected Portonovo beach, Ph. D Thesis, Annamalai University; 2012 Jun.
- Thandavamoorthy TS. Feasibility of making concrete from soil instead of river sand. Indian Concrete Institute Journal; 2014 Apr–Jun. p. 1–6.
- Ekanayaka EMTM, Jayawardene MN, Kannangara KKDM, Puswewala UGA, Rathnayake NP, Chaminda SP, Vijitha AVP. Alternative for river sand. Proceedings, ERE, University of Moratuwa; 2007. p. 21–4.
- Dolage DA, Dias MGS, Ariyawansa CT. Off shore sand as a fine aggregates for concrete production. British Journal of Applied Science and Technology. 2013; 3(4):813–25.
- Chandrakeerthy, SRDeS. Suitability of sea sand as a fine aggregate for concrete production. Transactions, Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka; 1994. p. 93–114.
- Takeda N, Ishizeki Y, Aoki S, Iriya K. Development of concrete made with sea water and unwashed sea sand. Concrete Journal. 2011 Dec; 49(12):17–22.
- Namboothri N, Subramanian D, Muthuraman B, Sridhar A, Rodriguez S, Shanker K. Beyond the Tsunami: Coastal sand dunes of Tamil Nadu - An overview. UNDP/UNTRS, Chennai/Bangalore, India; 2008. p. 21–9.
- Katano K, Takeda N, Ishizeki Y, Iriya K. Properties and application of concrete made with sea water and unwashed sea sand. 3rd International Conference on Sustainable Construction Materials and Technologies; 2013.
- IS: 383–1970. Specification for coarse and fine aggregates from natural source for concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 2386 (part I-VIII), 1963, Indian Standard methods of testing for aggregates for concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 456 (2000), Indian Standard Code of practice for plain and reinforced concrete, Fourth Revision, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS: 516, (1959), Indian Standards methods of tests for Strength of concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards. New Delhi, India.
- IS: 5816 (1999), Indian Standards Spiting tensile strength of concrete-method of test, Bureau of Indian Standards. New Delhi, India, First Revision.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.