Total views : 603
Analysis of Liquid Viscosity by Image Processing Techniques
Objective: In this paper, a technique is proposed for measurement of viscosity using the principle of dispersion of incident light with variation of liquid viscosity. The objective of the proposed technique is to design a non contact technique to analyze the characteristics of dispersed image using image processing for the light incident on liquid whose viscosity is to be measured. Methods: A camera is used to capture the background image of the refracted image. This captured image is processed by techniques like thresholding, filtering, and histogram to arrive at a quantified relation between viscosity and histogram values. To establish the relation an artificial neural network model is designed. Proposed neural network is trained by Levenburg Marquardt Algorithm, once trained it is tested with the real time system conditions. Findings: Once the neural network is designed, tests are conducted. Several samples of liquid are used with varying viscosity. From the obtained results it is clear that the proposed technique is able to measure viscosity accurately with a root mean percentage of error 2.01%. Application: From the obtained results it is clear that the proposed viscosity measurement technique can be used for measurement of liquid viscosity, even in dynamic flow conditions.
Image Processing, LabVIEW, Liquid Viscosity, Refraction.
- Xiang Yu, Yonggang Meng, Yu Tian, Jun Zhang. Weibin Liang. Measurement of Lubricant Viscosity and Detection of Boundary Slip at High Shear Rates. Jr. of Tribology International. 2016 Feb; 94:20–25.
- Arman Boromand, Safa Jamli, Joao M Maia. Viscosity Measurement Technique in Dissipative Particle Dynamics. Jr. of Computer Physics Communications. 2015 Nov; 196:149–160.
- Sibel Geacai, Olga Lulian, Irina Nita. Measurement, correlation and prediction of biodiesel blends viscosity. Jr. of Fuel. 2015 Mar; 143:268–274.
- Sakoda N, Hisatsugu T, Furusato K, Shinzato K, Kohno M, Takata Y. Viscosity Measurement of Hydrogen at High Temperatures up to 573 K by a Curved Vibrating Wire Method. Jr. of Chemical Thermodynamics. 2015 Oct; 89:22–25.
- Jayaprakash MS, Shivakumar K, Shashidhar. Viscosity, Ultrasonic, Refractometric and Morphological Studies of PEO/HPMC Blend in Water at 30°C and 50°C . Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Jan; 6(1):1–8.
- Yanling Zhang, Zhuoqing An, Hao Bai, Qi Li, Zhancheng Guo. Characterization and Measurement of Apparent Viscosity of Solid Particles in Fixed Beds under High Temperature. Jr. of Powder Technology. 2015 Nov; 284:279–288.
- Yagu Dang, Hong Seok Kim, Chaobin Dang, Eiji Hihara. Measurement of Vapor Viscosity of R1234yf and its Binary Mixtures with R32, R125. Int. Jr. of Refrigeration. 2015 Oct; 58:131–136.
- Shengshan Bi, Junwei Cui, Meng X, Jiangtao Wu. Surface Tension and Liquid Viscosity Measurement of Ethyl Fluoride (R161) under Saturation Condition. Jr. of Fluid Phase Equilibria. 2015 Nov; 405:25–30.
- Cakmak O, Ermek E, Kilinc N, Yaralioglu GG, Urey H. Precision density and Viscosity Measurement using Two Cantilevers with Different Widhts. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical. 2015 Aug; 232:141–147.
- Peng LV, Zihao Yang, Zhao Hua, Mingyuan Li, Meiq Lin, zhaoxia Dung. Measurement of Viscosity of Liquid in Micro-crevice. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation. 2015 Dec; 46:72–79.
- Kim JM, Lee SH, Jeon DH, Lee SW. Physical Model of Pixels in Twisted Nematic Active-matrix Liquid Crystal Displays. IEEE Transacations on Electron Devices. 2015 Oct; 62(10):3308–3313.
- Wolfgang Hilber, Stefan Clara, Bernhard Jakoby. Sensing Physical Fluid Properties in Microcavities Utilizing Diamagnetic Levitation. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 2015 Jan; 51(1).
- Stefan Clara, Hannes Antilinger, Wolfgang Hilber, Jaokoby B. A Viscosity and Density Sensor based on Diamagnetically stabilized Levitation. IEEE Sesnors. 2015 Mar; 15(3):1937–1944.
- Ivan D Avramov. A 0-Phase Circuit for QCM-Based Measurements in Highly Viscous Liquid Environments. IEEE Sensors Jr. 2005 Jun; 5(3):425–432.
- Jian AA, Micheal JS. Lowe, Francesco Simonetti. Measurement of the Properties of Fluids Inside Pipes Using Guided Longitudinal Waves. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control. 2007 Mar; 54(3):647–658.
- Jichul Kim, Y Sungtaek. Brownian Microscopy for Simultaneous In Situ Measurements of the Viscosity and Velocity Fields in Steady Laminar Microchannel Flows. Jr. of Microelectromechanical Systems. 2008 Oct; 17(5):1135–1143.
- Ediguer E Franco, Julio C Adamowski, Ricardo T Higuti, Flavio Buiochi. Viscosity Measurement of Newtonian Liquids uing the Complex Reflection Coefficient. IEEE Transaction on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control. 2008 Oct; 55(10):2247–2253.
- Kato K, Okubo H, Endo F, Yamagishi A, Miyagi K. Investigation of Charge Behavior in Low Viscosity Silicone Liquid by Kerr Electro-optic Field Measurement. IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation. 2010 Aug; 17(4):1214–1220.
- Ali Abdullah, Frieder Lucklum, Martin Heinisch, Niedermayer A, Bernhard Jakoby. Viscosity Measurement Cell Utilizing Electrodynamic-acoustic Resonator Sensors: Issues and Improvements. Proc. Int. Conf. on Instrumentation and Measurement Technology; 2012 May. p. 2458–2463.
- Han GS, Shim YS, Choi YR, Jang SO. Viscosity, Micro-Leakage, Water Solubility and Absorption in a Resin-based Temporary Filling Material. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(25):1–6.
- Srinivasan V. Analysis of Static and Dynamic Load on Hydrostatic Bearing with Variable Viscosity and Pressure. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Jun; 6(S6):1–6.
- Rafael C Gonzalez, Richard E Woods. Digital Image Processing. Pearson; 3 edition. 2007 Aug .
- Richard Szeliski. Computer Vision: Algorithms and Applications, Springer Publishing Co. Ltd, Germany. 2011.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.