Total views : 334
Design of Dynamically Reconfigurable Input/Output Peripheral Based Wireless System
Background: Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs) are unlimited by applications, but fortunately limited with area. FPGAs can be integrated to various fields like system-on-chip, communication, cryptography, signal and image processing etc. Methods: The main purpose of this research paper is to implement multiple applications on FPGA by interfacing with various peripherals like Universal Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter (UART), General-Purpose Input/Output (GPIO) and Digital Video Interface (DVI) - Video Graphics Array (VGA) using Partial Reconfiguration (PR). Findings: The UART peripheral is used for dual purposes. First purpose is to switch the applications dynamically using PR, and second purpose serves a, design of N-bit adder and subtractor applications in serial communication, GPIO's are used to design various Linear Feedback Shift Register (LFSR) techniques which are applicable in cryptography system which generates random keys encrypted with message produces cipher can encrypt and decrypt data in wireless with ZigBee peripheral devices, and LFSR is used in Built-In-Self-Test to generate test patterns for a digital system under test. Digital Video Interface peripheral is used to design ZigBee based wireless video game. A comparative analysis is performed among spartan, virtex5 and virtex6 architectures. It has been observed that virtex6 architecture consumes fewer resources in comparison to Spartan and virtex5. Moreover, a wireless remote control is designed using ZigBee to provide the gaming control to the user. Conclusion: Applications implemented using various peripherals can be switched dynamically with loading partially configured bit streams in CF card to FPGA by providing commands in serial communication through MicroBlaze Processor.
DVI, FPGA, GPIO’s and ZigBee, Partial Reconfiguration, UART.
- Marques N, Rabah H, Dabellani E, Weber S. A Novel Framework for the Design of Adaptable Reconfigurable Partitions for the Placement of Variable-sized IP Cores. Embedded Systems Letters, IEEE. 2014 Sep; 6(3):45-48.
- Dunkley R. Supporting a wide variety of communication protocols using dynamic partial reconfiguration. Instrumentation and Measurement Magazine. 2013 Aug; 6(4):26-32.
- Abel N, Manz S, Grull F, Kebschull U. Increasing Design Changeability Using Dynamic Partial Reconfiguration. Nuclear Science, IEEE Transactions. 2010 Apr; 57(2):602-609.
- Xilinx. Inc. UG347: ML505/ML506/ML507 Evaluation Platform User Guide. UG347. 2012 May; 3.1.2:1-60.
- Kwang-il Hwang , Byoung-Jo Choi , Seok-hoon Kang. Enhanced self-configuration scheme for a robust ZigBee-based home automation. Consumer Electronics, IEEE Transactions. 2010 May; 56(2):583-590.
- Wheeler A. Debugging building automation applications - Building automation has been hamstrung by the lack of practical and affordable communications technologies but ZigBee makes it practical to embed wireless communications into virtually any commercial building automation product. Computing and Control Engineering Journal. 2007 Feb.-Mar; 18(1):30-33.
- Gaurav Verma, Shambhavi Mishra, Sakshi Aggarwal, Surabhi Singh, Sushant Shekhar, Sukhbani Kaur Virdi. Power Consumption Analysis of BCD Adder using XPower Analyzer on VIRTEX FPGA. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(18):1-8.
- Papadimitriou K, Anyfantis A, Dollas A. An Effective Framework to Evaluate Dynamic Partial Reconfiguration in FPGA Systems. Instrumentation and Measurement, IEEE Transaction. 2010 Jun; 59(6):1642-1651.
- Raikovich T, Feher B. Application of partial reconfiguration of FPGAs in image processing. Ph.D. Research in Microelectronics and Electronics (PRIME), Conference on Berlin; 2010 Jul. p.1-4.
- Vipin K, Fahmy S.A. ZyCAP: Efficient Partial Reconfiguration Management on the Xilinx Zynq. Embedded Systems Letters, IEEE. 2014 Sep; 6(3):41-44.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.