Total views : 177
Corrosion Study of Electroless Ni-P-Al2O3- ZrO2 Nanocomposite Coatings in Paper Mill Digester
Objectives: To acquire more production and better quality of paper. The pulp and paper mill digesters are currently operated at increased temperature and sulfidity which results from increase in uniform and localized type of corrosion attacks on digester materials. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The current study intends to search corrosion protection mechanism in non-conventional (inclusion of 2.5gpl of each synthesized Al2O2 and ZrO2 nanoparticles into acidic EL Ni-P matrix, 2 hr constant stirring, temperature range 85 to 900C)alternate materials with liquor composition, concentration, and operating parameters. The NiPAZr(MS-Ni-P-Al2O2-ZrO2) nanocomposite coatings were deposited on mild steel (MS)substrate by electroless (EL) technique. To carry out an in-plant test, the coupons of conventional material (mild steel, MS) and non-conventional materials (NiPAZr as-plated and NiPAZr heat treated at 3800C) were exposed in mid part (near strainer) of 2nd batch digester of SPML (U.P., India) for six months duration. The exposed corroded coupons after removal from the digester were cleaned mechanically and chemically (ASTM specifications) and analyzed for uniform and pitting type corrosion attack. Findings: From corrosion point among all the coupons, it is concluded that mild steel (MS)coupon experiences the highest corrosion attack while NiPAZr (as-plated and heat treated) coated coupon slow corrosion attack. The mid part of the digester where the test rack was fitted is mainly affected due to general and pitting corrosion. Therefore, this in-plant test suggests that in applied conditions, it would be better to construct/fabricate the mid part of the digester with EL NiPAZr nano-composite (as-plated or heat treated at 3800C) coatings. These EL nano-composite coatings can be a cost effective option in contrast to conventional materials (MS, SS304L, SS316L and SS2205 etc.) for the paper industrialist to construct/fabricate especially mid part of the digester. Application/ Improvement: For making/fabrication mid part of the digesters these nano-composite coatings can be a cost effective option in comparison to conventional materials as well as can be applied up to very high-temperature range
Corrosion, Digester, Electroless Technique, In-Plant Test, Nano-composite Coatings.
- Wensley A. Corrosion and protection of Kraft batch digesters. Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry Journal. 1996; 79(10):153.
- Bennet DC. Cracking of continuous digester-review of history. Proceeding of 4th International Symposium on Corrosion in Pulp and Paper Industry. 1983; 4 pp.
- Frank W. Pulp and Paper Week. 1994; 16(15):1–5.
- Peoples RS, Cricson GL. Corrosion of Alkaline Pulping Digesters. Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry Journal. 1952; 35:403–11.
- Clarke SJ. Canadian Batch Digester Corrosion Survey. 86th Annual Meet 1 of 3 Montreal Que. 2000; 239 pp.
- Flynn FW, Riehter FH, Snyder FB. Uneven Corrosion in Alkaline Pulping Digesters. Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry Journal. 1953; 36(10):433–8.
- Huseby RA, Schil MA. Corrosion of MS and MS Welds in Sulfate Digesters. Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry Journal. 1951; 34(5):202.
- Delblanc A, Lundberg L. Experience of Stainless Steels in Pulp and Paper Mills Part-1. Paper Asia Journal. 2003; 19(1):21–4.
- Audouard JP. Duplex Stainless Steels for Kraft Pulp Batch Digesters-Welding and Corrosion Performance. Proceedings of 5th International Symposium on Corrosion in the Pulp and Paper Industry. 1986; 193 pp.
- Sharma SL. T test report of SPM digester corrosion. 1994; 17 pp.
- Wisconsin A. Liquor Composition Effects on Corrosion Rates in Kraft White Liquor. Project 3556-Report three to Members of the Institute of Paper Chemistry. 1985; 1–98.
- Sharma A. Studies on digester corrosion, project report Star paper Mills India. 1996; 4(3):420–5.
- Essen CGV. Corrosion Problems in Sulfate Pulp Mills. Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry Journal. 1950; 33(7):14.
- Heikki L. Corrosion in Different Process Stages in Modern Kraft Batch Cooking. Proceedings of Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry, San Diego. 2002; 1317 pp.
- Rooks A. A pulp mill tool kit. Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Industry Solutions. 2003; 10(1):51.
- Gautam T. Private Discussion with Mill personnel at BILT, Ballarshah. 1996.
- Wensley A. The High Cost of Corrosion. Pulp and Paper Canada Journal. 2004; 105(5):10.
- Tuthill AH. Private Communication circulated on behalf of NiDi Canada. 1997.
- Thorpe PH. Duplex Stainless Pulp Digesters Fabrication and User Experience in Australia and New Zeeland. 8th International Symposium Corrosion in Pulp and Paper Industry. 1995; 20 pp.
- Udayshanker S. Indian Pulp and Paper Technical Association Journal. 1991; 3(1):38.
- Esfahani FA, Sarafbidabad M. Evaluation of Corrosion Rate and Surface Oxides Formed of Zr-2.5%Nb as an Implant Material in Ringer's Solution. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(6):1–5.
- Elsener B, Crobu M, Scorciapino MA, Rossi A. Electroless Deposited Ni-P Alloys: Corrosion Resistance Mechanism. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry. 2008; 38(2):1053–60.
- Dennis JK, Sagoo KS. Wear Behavior of Engineering Coatings and Surface Treatments. Metal Finish. 1991; 89(2):111–21.
- Agarwala RC, Agarwala V. Electroless Alloy/Composite Coatings: A review. Sadhana. 2003; 28(3):475–93.
- Wang SH, Yang HY, Peng LM, Ding WJ. Characterization of Ni-P/TiO2 MMC Coatings Prepared by Electroless Plating Process on Mg-Nd-Zn-Zr Magnesium Alloys. Material Science Forum. 2011; 690:422–5.
- Kumar ABK, Ananthaprasad MG, Gopala Krishna K. A Review on Mechanical and Tribological Behaviors of Nickel Matrix Composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2):1–7.
- Kumar D, Agnihotri KG, Purohit R. A Review on Properties, Behaviour and Processing Methods for Al- Nano Al2O3 Composites. Procedia Materials Science. 2014; 6(1):567–89.
- Chen X, Mao SS. Titanium Dioxide Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Properties, Modifications, and Applications. Chemical Reviews. 2007; 107(7):2891–959.
- Sharma SB, Agarwala RC, Agarwala V, Ray S. Dry Sliding Wear andFriction Behaviour of Ni-P-ZrO2-Al2O3 Composite Electroless Coatings on Aluminium. International Journal of Materials Manufacturing Processing. 2002; 17(05):637–49.
- Sharma A, Singh AK. Corrosion and Wear Study of Ni-P-PTFE-Al2O3 Coating: The Effect of Heat Treatment. Central European Journal of Engineering. 2014; 4(1):80–9.
- Szczygiel B, Turkiewicz A, Serafinczuk A. Surface morphology and structure of Ni–P, Ni–P–ZrO2, Ni–W–P, Ni–W–P–ZrO2 coatings deposited by electroless method. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2008; 202(9):1904–10.
- Sharma S, Sharma S, Agarwala PR, Garg GP, Gopinath G. A study on Ni-P and Ni–P–ZnO composite coatings developed by electroless technique. Advanced Materials Research. 2012; 585:512–6.
- Maheswary S, Sharma S, Sharma A. Corrosion Investigation on Conventional and Nanocomposite (Ni-P-Al2O3-TiO2) coated Mild Steel by In-Plant Test in Digester of a Paper Million. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(3):1–8.
- Scan-N4: 63, Scandinavian Pulp and Paper Testing Board
- SCAN-N2: 63 and SCAN N3:63 Scandinavian Pulp and Paper Testing Board.
- Maheswary S, Sharma S, Sharma A. Electroless Ni-P-Al2O3-TiO2 Dispersion Nanocomposite Coating for Corrosion and Wear Resistance. Journal of Materials and Environment Science. Communicated. 2016; 9(33):1–8.
- De-Hazan Y, Werner D, Z'graggen M, Groteklaes M, Graule T. Homogeneous Ni-P/Al2O3 NanocompositeCoatings from Stable Dispersions in Electroless Nickel Baths. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2008; 328(1):103–9.
- Apachitei I, Tichelaar FD, Duszczyk J, Katgerman L. The Effect of Heat Treatment on the Structure and Abrasive Wear Resistance of Autocatalytic Ni-P and Ni-P-SiC Coatings. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2002; 149(2-3):263–78.
- Dosris GM, Uloth VC. Analysis of Oxidized White Liquors Part-1: Determination of Polysulfides by Gravimetery Method. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Journal. 1994; 20(8):J211.
- Sharma A. Corrosion Investigations in Pulping and Bleaching media. PhD. Thesis, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, 2007.
- Giampaolo AD, Zrdonez JG, Gugliemacc JM. ASM Handbook Committee. Electroless Nickel-Plating, Surface Engineering. American Society for Metals. 1994; 5(1):291.
- Bolton W. Engineering Materials Technology. 3rd Edition. Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford. 1998; 447 pp.
- Carter VE. Corrosion Testing for Metal Finishing, Butterworth Scientific press, London. 1982; 1–13.
- Balaraju JN, Narayanan TSNS, Seshadri SK. The synthesis of Ni-activated carbon nanocomposites via electroless deposition without a surface pretreatment as potential hydrogen storage materials. Mater of Research. 2006; 37(14):10743–9.
- Sharma A, Sharma S, Sharma S. In-Plant Test for Corrosion Investigations in Digester of a Paper Mill. Journal of Materials and Environment Science. 2013; 4(3):420–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.