Total views : 1051
NIR Based Non-Invasive Blood Glucose Measurement
Objectives: This paper describes the method of measurement of glucose concentration in the human blood non-invasively using the near infrared optical technique. Methods/Analysis: In recent medical practice, the concentration of glucose in blood is measured using an invasive techniques which generally involves puncturing finger. In generic few ml of blood whereas in recent practice less than a drop of blood is taken out and passed through the standard chemical tests to measure glucose concentration. These methods are expensive as well as painful. The frequent finger puncturing causes calluses on the skin and also increases the risk of spreading infectious diseases. Findings: So, the development of a non-invasive blood glucose measurement system will be boon to the diabetic patients. This paper describes the method of blood sugar measurement in the human blood non-invasively using the painless near infrared based optical technique. The designed system consists of LED emitting signals of 940 nm wavelength. These optical signals are sent through the fingertip and reflected signals are detected by phototransistor placed beside the LED. The glucose concentration in the blood is determined by analyzing the variation in the intensity of received signal obtained after reflection. The results obtained from the designed system shows the feasibility of using NIR based non-invasive method for the measurement of blood glucose. Applications/Improvements: The described system is majorly useful for diabetic patients. The measurement accuracy of the proposed system can be improved by incorporating it with noise filtering techniques.
Blood Glucose, Diabetes, Near Infrared, Non-Invasive.
- Yadav J, Rani A, Singh V, Murari BM. Near-infrared LED based non-invasive blood glucose sensor. IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing and Integrated Networks (SPIN). 2014 Feb;p. 591-4.
- Unnikrishna Menon KA, Hemachandran D,Abhishek TK. A survey on non-invasive blood glucose monitoring using NIR., IEEE International Conference on Communications and Signal Processing (ICCSP). 2013 Apr;p. 1069-72.
- Anas MN, Nurun NK, Norali AN, Normahira M. Non-invasive blood glucose measurement. IEEE EMBS Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Sciences (IECBES)., 2012 Dec;p. 503-7.
- Savage MB, Stevan Kun , Harjunmaa H, Peura RA., Development of a non-invasive blood glucose monitor: application of artificial neural networks for signal processing. Proceedings of the IEEE 26th Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference. 2000 Feb.p. 29-30.
- Yoon G, Jeon KJ, Kim YJ, Kim S, Lee JY. Reagentless/non-invasive diagnosis of blood substances. 2001. The 4th Pacific Rim Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics. CLEO/Pacific Rim 2001 Jul; 1:p. 1.
- Chowdhury MK, Srivastava A, Sharma N , Sharma S. The influence of blood glucose level upon the transport of light in diabetic and non-diabetic subjects. International Journal of Biomedical and Advance Research. 2013; 4(5):306-16.
- Khalil OS. Non-invasive glucose measurement technologies: an update from 1999 to the dawn of the new millennium. Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics. 2004 Oct; 6(5):660-97.
- Tura A, Maran A, Pacini G. Non-invasive glucose monitoring: assessment of technologies and devices according to quantitative criteria. Diabetes research and clinical practice. 2007 Jul; 77(1):16-40.
- Chowdhury MK, Srivastava A, Sharma N, Sharma S. Challenges & Countermeasures in Optical Noninvasive Blood Glucose Detection.International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2013 Jan; 2(1): 324-9.
- Srivastava A, Chowdhury MK, Sharma S, Sharma N. Blood Glucose Monitoring Using Non Invasive Optical Method: Design Limitations and Challenges. International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering. 2013 Jan; 2(1): 615-20.
- Abdallah O, Bolz A, HansmannJ, Walles H,Hirth T. Design of a compact multi-sensor system for non-invasive glucose monitoring using optical spectroscopy. International Conference on Electronics. Biomedical Engineering and its Applications (ICEBEA)., 2012 Jan.p. 1-8 .
- von Lilienfeld-Toal H, Weidenmüller M, Xhelaj A, Mäntele W. A novel approach to non-invasive glucose measurement by mid-infrared spectroscopy: the combination of quantum cascade lasers (QCL) and photoacoustic detection. Vibrational spectroscopy. 2005 Jul; 38(1-2):209-15.
- Mueller M, Grunze M, Leiter EH, Reifsnyder PC, Klueh U, Kreutzer D. Non-invasive glucose measurements in mice using mid-infrared emission spectroscopy. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 2009 Nov; 142(2): 502-8.
- Ashok V, Nirmalkumar A, Jeyashanthi N. A novel method for blood glucose measurement by noninvasive technique using laser. International Journal of Biological and Life Sciences., 2010 Aug; 67(3): 127-32.
- Tang F, Wang X, Wang D, Li J. Non-invasive glucose measurement by use of metabolic heat conformation method. Sensors., 2008 May;8(5): 3335-44.
- Maruo K, Oota T, Tsurugi M, Nakagawa T, Arimoto H, Tamura M, Ozaki Y, Yamada Y. New methodology to obtain a calibration model for noninvasive near-infrared blood glucose monitoring. Applied spectroscopy., 2006 Apr; 60(4):441-9.
- Myllylä R, Zhao Z, Kinnunen M. Pulsed photoacoustic techniques and glucose determination in human blood and tissue. Handbook of Optical Sensing of Glucose in Biological Fluids and Tissues., 2008 Dec.p. 419-55.
- Maruo K, Tsurugi M, Chin J, Ota T, Arimoto H, Yamada Y, Tamura M, Ishii M, Ozaki Y., Noninvasive blood glucose assay using a newly developed near-infrared system. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics., 2003 Mar –Apr; 9(2): 322-30.
- Ashok V, Rajan Singh S , Nirmal Kumar A. Determination of blood glucose concentration by back propagation neural network. Indian Journal of Science and Technology., 2010 Aug; 3(8): 916-18.
- Ashok Vajravelu, Nirmal Kumar., Determination of Blood Glucose Concentration by Using Wavelet Transform and Neural Networks. Iranian journal of medical sciences. 2013 Mar;38(1): 51-6.
- Maier JS, Walker SA, Fantini S, Franceschini MA, Gratton E. Possible correlation between blood glucose concentration and the reduced scattering coefficient of tissues in the near infrared. Optics letters. 1994 Dec; 19(24):. 2062-64.
- Govada A, Renumadhavi C , Ramesh K. Non-invasive blood glucose measurement. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering., 2014 Jan; 3(1): 5122-5.
- Maruo K, Tsurugi M, Tamura M, Ozaki Y. In vivo noninvasive measurement of blood glucose by near-infrared diffuse-reflectance spectroscopy. Applied spectroscopy., 2003 Oct; 57(10): 1236-44.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.