Total views : 398
An Investigation on the benefits of ICT deployment in Supply Chain Management (SCM)
Objective: The objective of the paper is to investigate the influence of deployment of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) tools in a supply chain context. Methods/Analysis: The influence of deployment of ICT in Supply Chain Management (SCM) is studied using System Dynamics (SD) methodology using the tool, Causal Loop Diagram (CLD) using software Vensim. Findings: SCM discipline is grappled with dynamic and operational changes and challenges and this unpredictability can be understood better using SD. ICT capabilities fundamentally improve supply chain integration and performance. ICT adoption for SCM improves collaboration, workflow and decision-making which lead to cost savings; improved operational efficiency and inventory visibility. One process in SCM namely inventory control is described using SD. Introduction of a parameter, ICT capability dramatically changes the context and gives rise to new positive feedback loops Novelty/Improvements: The paper uses CLD for ICT influence on SCM process of inventory control. This can be extended for all supply chain management processes in both planning and execution. Case studies with the influence of specific ICT tools like RFID, Cloud, Social Media, Business Analytics, Mobile technology and Multi-agent systems are also possibilities for extending the study. Supply chain managers can deliberate on decisions, strategy, issues and policy by developing scenarios using SD tools and software packages. However the research limitation is that this is a simulation in a specific supply chain context. Generalization of this scenario may not be possible.
Causal Loop Diagram (CLD), Information and Communication Technology (ICT), Inventory, Supply Chain Management (SCM) ICT, System Dynamics (SD).
- Srinivasan K, Kekre K, Mukhopadhyay T. Impact of Electronic Data Interchange Technology on JIT Shipments. Management Science. 1994 Oct; 40(10):1291-1304.
- Nair PR, Raju V, Anbuudayasankar SP. Overview of Information Technology Tools for Supply Chain Management. CSI Communications. 2009 Dec; 33(9):20-27.
- Anderson DL, Britt FE, Favre DJ. The Seven Principles of Supply Chain Management. Supply Chain Management Review; 1997. p. 1-6 .
- Schramm T, Nogueira S, Jones D. Cloud Computing and Supply Chain: A Natural Fit for the Future. Logistics Management; 2011 May.
- Shore B. Information sharing in global supply chains. Journal of Global Information Technology Management. 2001; 4(3):27- 50.
- Auramo J, Kauremaa J, Tanskanen K. Benefits of IT in supply chain management: An explorative study of progressive companies. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management. 2005; 35(2):82-100.
- Barros APD, Ishikiriyama CS, Cordeiro R, Peres CFSG. Processes and benefits of the application of information technology in supply chain management: an analysis of the Literature. Information Technology and Quantitative Management (ITQM) Procedia Computer Science. 2015; 55:698-705.
- Huo B, Zhang C, Zhao X. The effect of IT and relationship commitment on supply chain coordination. A contingency and configuration approach. Information and Management. 2015 Sep; 52(6):728–740.
- Nair PR. RFID for Supply Chain Management. CSI Communications. 2012 Nov; 36(8):14-18.
- Sterman JD. Business Dynamics: Systems Thinking and Modelling for a Complex World. 1st edn. McGraw-Hill/ Irwin: Boston, 2000.
- Forrester JW. Industrial Dynamics. 1st edn. Productivity Press: Portland, 1961.
- Sidola A, Kumar P, Kumar D. System dynamics investigation of information technology in small and medium enterprise supply chain. Journal of Advances in Management Research. 2012; 9(2):199-207.
- Stevens J. Integrating the supply chain. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Materials Management. 1989; 19(8):3-8.
- Wu J, Chen CC, Tsai R. Using System Dynamics Approach to Construct a Performance Measurement Model for Pharmacy Supply Chain Management. Journal of International Technology and Information Management. 2006; 15(1):1-13 .
- Asif FMA, Bianchi C, Rashid A, Nicolescu CM. Performance analysis of the closed loop supply Chain. Journal of Remanufacturing. 2012; 2(4):1-21.
- Singh S, Sharma PC, Barcellos PFP, Borella MRDC. System dynamics as a tool for green supply chain management: A theoretical ransom. International Journal of Humanities and Science. 2015 Apr; 5(4-1):1-13.
- Jayashankar M, Swaminathan, Smith SF, Sadeh NM. Modelling supply chain dynamics: A Multiagent Approach. Decision Sciences. 1998; 29(3):607-632.
- Towill D. The seamless supply chain - the predator’s strategic advantage. International Journal of Technology Management. 1997 Jan; 13(1):37-56.
- Learn to read causal loop diagrams. Systems and Us. http:// systemsandus.com/2012/08/15/learn-to-read-clds/. Date accessed: 20/02/2016
- Business Simulation. Holistic Analytics. http://holisticanalytics.de/business-simulation/. Accessed 15/02/2016 21. Cedillo-Campos M, Sánchez-Ramírez C. Dynamic SelfAssessment of Supply Chains Performance: an Emerging Market Approach. Journal of Applied Research and Technology (JART). 2013 Jun; 11(3):338-347.
- Bollampally K, Dzever S. The Impact of RFID on Pharmaceutical Supply Chains: India, China and Europe Compared. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Feb; 8(S4):176-188.
- Nair PR, Balasubramaniam OA. IT Enabled Supply Chain Management using Decision Support Systems. CSI Communications; 2010. p. 34-40.
- Nair PR. Benefits of Information Technology Applications for Supply Chain Management: An Explorative study of progressive Indian companies. In: Enterprise Information Systems and Implementing IT Infrastructures: Challenges and Issues. S. Parthasarathy (ed). IGI Global: USA. 2010; 323-343.
- Nair PR. Tackling Supply Chain through Cloud Computing: Management: Opportunities, Challenges and Successful Deployments. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. 2014; 761-767.
- Nair PR. Tackling Supply Chain through Business Analytics: Opportunities, Challenges and Successful Deployments. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. 2015; 569576.
- Sivakumar PB, Mohandas VP. Evaluating the predictability of financial time series, A case study on SENSEX data, Springer, 2007; 99-104
- Mehrad M, Akbari H. The impact of Bullwhip effect in e-Business on the Automotive Industry (Case Study: Saipa). Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jun; 8(11):1-6 .
- Ghobadi A, Darestani SA, Shahroudi A. Impact of Closed–Loop Supply Chains on Reducing Carbon Emission and Gaining Competitive Advantage: NSGA-II and MOPSO Solutions. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(35):1-12.
- Kang S, Moon T. Impact of Organizational Competence on Supply Chain Performance through Supply Chain Collaboration. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jun; 8(12):1-10.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.