Total views : 261
Adversarial Effect in Distributed Storage Systems
Objectives: The critical problem of mass storage and access is handled by Distributed Storage System (DSS) by incorporating data Replication and/or Dispersal techniques. Handling the hybrid failures is very crucial for the design of reliable and efficient DSS. The realistic combination of Crash and Non-Crash faults in DSS disallow fail stop assumption in design. This paper provides an insight into different types of failures, adversaries, proposes a systematic scheme to simulate adversarial effect in DSS. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Information Dispersal Algorithm (IDA) and Reed Solomon codes (RS) are the methods used to analyze the performance of the system. Findings: The performance of the system and robustness of the RS Coded DSS is evaluated and analyzed for various Workload, RS (n,k) values, % of Hybrid failures to design reliable and efficient Distributed Storage System. Application/Improvement: Reed Solomon codes improves the performance of the system by handling both errors and erasures compared to Information Dispersal Algorithm.
Adversary, Dispersal, Distributed Storage System (DSS), Hybrid failures, Replication, RS Codes.
- Bansal S, Sharma S, Trivedi I, A detailed review of fault-tolerance techniques in Distributed System. International Journal on Internet and Distributed Computing Systems. 2011 Jun; 1(1):33.
- Zhao D, Burlingame K, Debains C, Alvarez-Tabio P, Raicu I. Towards high-performance and cost-effective distributed storage systems with information dispersal algorithms. In: Cluster Computing (CLUSTER), IEEE International Conference; 2013 Sep. p. 1–5.
- Bal HE, Kaashoek MF, Tanenbaum AS, Jansen J. Replication techniques for speeding up parallel applications on distributed systems. Concurrency: Practice and Experience. 1992 Aug; 4(5):337–355.
- Nirmala SJ, Bhanu SM, Patel AA. A Comparative study of the secret sharing algorithms for secure data in the cloud. International Journal on Cloud Computing: Services and Architecture (IJCCSA). 2012 Aug; 2(4):63–71.
- Abdallah A, Salleh M. Analysis and Comparison the Security and Performance of Secret Sharing Schemes. Asian Journal of Information Technology. 2015; 14(2):74–83.
- Kumar S, Gupta R. Bit error rate analysis of Reed-Solomon code for efficient communication system. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2011 Sep; 30(12):11–15.
- Shyamala CK, Vidya NV. Structuring Reliable Distributed Storages. In Intelligent Systems Technologies and Applications, Springer International Publishing. 2016; 235–245.
- Bose R. Information theory, coding and cryptography. Tata McGraw-Hill Education; 2008.
- Rabin MO. Efficient dispersal of information for security, load balancing, and fault tolerance. Journal of the ACM (JACM). 1989 Apr; 36(2):335–48.
- Ling J, Jiang X. Distributed storage method based on information dispersal algorithm. In Instrumentation and Measurement, Sensor Network and Automation (IMSNA), 2013 2nd International Symposium; 2013 Dec. p. 624–626.
- Debains C, Alvarez-Tabio P, Zhao D, Raicu I. IStore: Towards High Efficiency, Performance, and Reliability in Distributed Data Storage with Information Dispersal Algorithms. under review at IEEE MSST; 2013 Jan. p. 1–8.
- Peleg D, Wool A. The availability of quorum systems. Information and Computation. 1995 Dec; 123(2):210–223.
- Gao L, Dahlin M, Zheng J, Alvisi L, Iyengar A. Dual-Quorum: A Highly Available and Consistent Replication System for Edge Services. Dependable and Secure Computing, IEEE Transactions. 2010 Apr; 7(2):159–174.
- Bowers KD, Juels A, Oprea A. HAIL: a high-availability and integrity layer for cloud storage. In: Proceedings of the 16th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security; 2009 Nov. p. 187–198.
- Shyamala CK, Vidya NV. Dual Quorum-Dispersal, A Novel Approach for Reliable and Consistent ECC based storages. International Journal of Applied Engineering and Research (IJAER).2015; 10(3):6901–6917.
- Martin KM. Challenging the adversary model in secret sharing schemes. Coding and Cryptography II, Proceedings of the Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Science and the Arts; 2008. p. 45–63.
- Shyamala CK, Sharanya RR. Study of Adversary Models in Distributed Storage Systems. Global Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics (GJPAM). 2015; 11(1):148–155.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.