Total views : 233
Neutral Point Clamped and Cascaded H-Bridge Multilevel Inverter Topologies – A Comparison
Objectives: This work emphasizes on the analysis of two five levels inverter topologies - neutral point clamped topology and Cascaded H-Bridge inverter topology. Methods/Analysis: The neutral point clamped topology requires only one DC source, eight switches and four clamping diodes with two voltage balancing capacitors. The cascaded topology carries two voltage sources and eight switching devices. Phase disposition pulse width modulation technique generates gating pulses for both the multilevel inverter topologies. All the simulations are done in MATLAB-Simulink simulation environment. Findings: The output waveforms, switching stress and harmonic spectrum of the output waveforms of both the inverter topologies are obtained using phase disposition pulse width modulation technique for a modulation index of unity. Moreover, the work aims to perform a comparison of both the inverter topologies with respect to total harmonic distortion, switch stress and complexity of the topology. It is found that though a cascaded inverter needs less overall components when compared to neutral point clamped inverter, yet both the inverter topologies carries the same stress across their switches and produce an almost the same harmonic distortion on their output waveforms. Applications/Improvement: Conventional voltage source inverters are gradually being replaced by multilevel inverters in various applications like photovoltaic systems, reactive power compensators, FACTS devices, adjustable speed drives etc. The stress across each of the switches gets decreased in both the multilevel inverter topologies compared to conventional inverters. Further, neutral point clamped inverters carry the advantage of requiring only one DC source for its operation.
Cascaded H-Bridge (CHB), Neutral Point Clamped (NPC), Sinusoidal Pulse Width Modulation (SPWM), Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
- Marchesoni M. High performance current control techniques for applications to multilevel high- power voltage source inverters. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 1992 Jan; 7(1):189–204.
- Hasan M, Mekhilef S, Ahmed M. Three-phase hybrid multilevel inverter with less power electronic components using Space Vector Modulation. IET Power Electronics. 2014 May; 7(5):1256–65.
- Kouro S, Malinowski M, Gopakumar K, Pou J, Franquelo LG, Wu B, Leon JI. Recent advances and industrial applications of multilevel converters. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2010 Aug; 57(8):2553–80.
- Palanivel P, Dash SS. Analysis of THD and output voltage performance for cascaded multilevel inverter using carrier pulse width modulation techniques. IET Power Electronics. 2011 Sep; 4(8):951–8.
- Du Z, Tolbert LM, Opineci B, Chaisson JN. Fundamental frequency switching strategies of a seven level hybrid Cascaded H-Bridge multilevel inverter. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2009 Jan; 24(1):25–33.
- Kim SH, Kim YH. Design and analysis of an LC trap/LCR output filter for a single phase NPC three level inverter. International Journal of Electronics. 2008 Dec; 95(12):1279–92.
- Hatti N, Kondo Y, Akagi H. Five levels diode-clamped PWM converters connected back-to-back for motor drives. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications. 2008 Jul; 44(4):1268–76.
- Xia C, Gu X, Shi T, Yan Y. Neutral-point potential balancing of three level inverters in direct-driven wind energy conversion system. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion. 2011 Mar; 26(1):18–29.
- du Toit Mouton H. Natural balancing of three level neutral-point clamped PWM inverters. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2002 Oct; 49(5):1017–25.
- Yuan X, Barbi I. Fundamentals of a new diode clamping multilevel inverter. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2000 Jul; 15(4):711–8.
- Shukla A, Ghosh A, Joshi A. Flying-capacitor-based chopper circuit for DC capacitor voltage balancing in diode-clamped multilevel inverter. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2010 Jul; 57(7):2249–61.
- Kou X, Corzine KA, Familiant YL. A unique fault-tolerant design for flying capacitor multilevel inverter. IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics. 2004 Jul; 19(4):979–87.
- Ding K, Cheng KWE, Zou YP. Analysis of an asymmetric modulation method for cascaded multilevel inverters. IET Power Electronics. 2012 Jan; 5(1):74–85.
- Govindaraju C, Baskaran K. Efficient sequential switching hybrid–modulation techniques for cascade multilevel inverters. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2011 Jun; 26(6):1639–48.
- Villanueva E, Correa P, Rodriguez J, Pacas J. Control of single-phase Cascaded H-Bridge multilevel inverter for grid connected photovoltaic system. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2009 Nov; 56(11):4399–406.
- Anzari M, Meenakshi J, Sreedevi VT. Simulation of a transistor clamped H-bridge multilevel inverter and its comparison with a conventional H-bridge multilevel inverter. Proc International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies; 2014 Mar. p. 958–63.
- Subhashini M, Latha P, Bhagyaveni MA. Comparative analysis of harmonic distortion of a solar PV fed Cascaded H-Bridge multilevel inverter controlled by FPGA and diode clamped inverter. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(16):1–8.
- Rodriguez J, Lai JS, Peng FZ. Multilevel inverters: Survey of topologies, controls and applications. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications. 2002 Aug; 49(4):724–38.
- Chen A, He X. Research on hybrid-clamped multilevel-inverter topologies. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2006 Dec; 53(6):1898–907.
- Devi KSG, Arun S, Sreeja C. Comparative study on different five levels inverter topologies. International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems. 2014 Dec; 63:363–72.
- Holmes DG, Lipo TA. Pulse width modulation for power converters: Principles and practice. John Wiley and Sons; 2003 Oct.
- Tolbert LM, Habetler TG. Novel multilevel inverter carrier based PWM method. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications. 1999 Sep; 35(5):1098–107.
- McGrath BP, Holmes DG. Multicarrier PWM strategies for multilevel inverters. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2002 Aug; 49(4):858–67.
- Ramesh Babu A. Comparative analysis of cascaded multilevel inverter for phase disposition and phase shift carrier PWM for different load. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(S7):251–62.
- Gupta AK, Khambadkone AM. A simple space vector PWM scheme to operate a three level NPC inverter at high modulation index including over modulation region with neutral point balancing. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications. 2007 May; 43(3):751–60.
- Xia C, Shao H, Zhang Y, He X. Adjustable proportional hybrid SVPWM strategy for neutral-point clamped three level inverters. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2013 Oct; 60(10):4234–42.
- Wells JR, Nee BM, Chapman PL, Krein PT. Selective harmonic control: A general problem formulation and selected solutions. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2005 Nov; 20(6):1337–45.
- Maia HZ, Mateus TH, Ozpineci B, Tolbert LM, Pinto JO. Adaptive selective harmonic minimization based on ANNs for cascaded multilevel inverters with varying DC sources. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2013 May; 60(5):1955–62.
- Vassilios GA, Anastasios IB, Mohamed SAD. A five-level symmetrically defined selective harmonic elimination PWM strategy: Analysis and experimental validation. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2008 Jan; 23(1):19–26.
- Patel HS, Hoft RG. Generalized techniques of harmonic elimination and voltage control in thyristor inverters: Part I – harmonic elimination. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications. 1973 May; IA-9 (3):310–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.