Total views : 304
Removal of Ammonia Nitrogen (NH4-N) from Landfill Leachate by Chemical Treatment
Objectives: The paper studies the removal efficiency of Ammonia-nitrogen from leachate by a chemical method named “Struvite Precipitation” as the concentration of Nitrogen (major causes of eutrophication), is several times higher in leachate than in municipal wastewater. Sampling: The leachate composition and sampling was done for leachate derived from a dump type landfill named ‘Jawahar Nagar Dump Yard’, Hyderabad and was characterized as an old leachate with pH = 8.0. Methodology: The treatment process tested is a batch type lab-scale experiment for precipitation of ammonia nitrogen in the form of Magnesium-Ammonium-Phosphate (MAP). Results: With MAP (Struvite) precipitation at the optimal Mg:N:P ratio (1.2:1:1), 78% removal of inorganic nitrogen was achieved. Maximum Ammonium removal achieved is about 95% at pH of 9.0 with Mg:N:P molar ratio 1.5:1:1.5. Conclusions: Comparing the results for different Mg:N:P ratios, conclusions are drawn that it is possible to achieve effluent nitrogen requirements (50 mg N/l) by treatment of leachate with MAP precipitation. Detailed description is given in the article.
Ammonium Removal, Leachate, Molar Ratio, Magnesium-Ammonium-Phosphate, Struvite.
- Lee CC. Environmental engineering dictionary. 4th ed. USA: Government Institutes; 2005 Jun.
- Deng LW, Zheng P, Chen ZA. Anaerobic digestion and post-treatment of swine wastewater using IC–SBR process with bypass of raw wastewater. Process Biochem. 2006 Apr; 41(4):965–9.
- Deponier LF. Report # 8306. Swedish Environmental Protection Agency (in Swedish); 2008.
- Suzuki K, Tanaka Y, Kuroda K, Hanajima D, Fukumoto Y, Yasuda T, Waki M. Removal and recovery of phosphorous from swine wastewater by demonstration crystallization reactor and struvite accumulation device. Bioresour Technol. 2007 Jun; 98(8):1573–8.
- Renou S, Givaudan JG, Poulain S, Dirassouyan F, Moulin P. Landfill leachate treatment: Review and opportunity. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2008 Feb; 150(3):468–93.
- Abbas AA, Jingsong G, Ping LZ, Ya PY, Al-Rekabi WS. Review on landfill leachate treatments. Am J Appl Sci. 2009; 6(4):672–84.
- Schmidt I, Sliekers O, Schmid M, Bock E, Fuerst J, Kuenen JG, Jetten MSM, Strous M. New concepts of microbial treatment processes for the nitrogen removal in wastewater. FEMS Microbiology Reviews. 2003 Oct; 27(4):481–92.
- Ahn Y-H. Sustainable nitrogen elimination biotechnologies: A review. Process Biochemistry. 2006 Aug; 41(8):1709–21.
- Peavy HS, Rowe DR, Tchobanoglous G. Environmental engineering. 1st Indian ed. McGRAW-HILL International Editions and publications; 2013 Aug.
- Galbraith SC, Schneider PA. A review of struvite nucleation studies. Ashley K, Mavinic DS, Koch F, ed. International Conference on Nutrient Recovery from Wastewater Streams. London, UK: IWA Publishing; 2009.
- Michalowski T, Pietrzyk A. A thermodynamic study of struvite + water system. Talanta. 2006 Jan; 68(3):594–601.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.