Total views : 753
Impact of Rice Husk Ash on Soil Stability (Including Micro Level Investigation)
Objectives: In this study, the change in behavior of subgrade soil after apply rice husk ash which is an environmental pollutant was observed. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Some sample of subgrade soil was taken and mixed with various amount of rice husk ash (1%, 2%, 4%, 6%, 8% and 10%). Did some experimental tests like OMC, MDD, CBR to determine the changes on subgrade strength properties with RHA content also to study its impact in better way, did SEM and EDS tests of untreated soil as well as treated soil. Findings: From the experimental works it is observed that addition of rice husk ash shows increase in OMC value whereas decrease in MDD value and Upto 6% rice husk content CBR is increasing after that it start decreasing. In other hand from SEM and EDS test decrease in void ration and breaking of montmorillonite has observed. Applications/Improvements: Since mixing of rice husk ash with soil shows improvement in CBR value and reduces the void so it can be use for sub-base construction as it will reduce the thickness and cost of pavement.
CBR, EDS, Rice Husk Ash, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Soil Stabilization.
- Fattah MY, Rahil FH, Al-Soudany KYH. Improvement of clayey soil characteristics using rice husk ash. Journal of Civil Engineering and Urbanism. 2013 Feb; 3(1):12–8.
- Roy A. Soil stabilization using rice husk ash and cement. International Journal of Civil Engineering Research. 2014; 5(1):49–54.
- IS:1498. Classification and identification of soils for general engineering purposes. New Delhi: Bureau of Indian Standards; 1970.
- IS:2720. Methods of tests for soil. Part 5. Determination of liquid limit and plastic limit. New Delhi: Bureau of Indian Standards; 1985.
- IS:2720. Methods of tests for soil. Part 7. Determination of water content-dry density relation using light compaction. New Delhi: Bureau of Indian Standards; 1987.
- IS:2720. Methods of tests for soil. Part 16. Laboratory determination of CBR. New Delhi: Bureau of Indian Standards; 1987.
- Sharma NK, Swain SK, Sahoo UC. Stabilization of a clayey soil with fly ash and lime: A micro level investigation. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering. 2012 Oct; 30(5):1197–205.
- Basha EA, Hashim R, Mahmud HB, Muntohar AS. Stabilization of residual soil with rice husk ash and cement. Elsevier Construction and Building materials. 2005 Jul; 19(6):448–53.
- Peethamparan S, Olek J, Diamond S. Mechanism of stabilization of Na- montmorillonite clay with cement kiln dust. Cem Concr Res. 2009 Jul; 39(7):580–9.
- Ravichandran PT, Prasad AS, Krishnan KD, Rajkumar PRK. Effect of addition of waste tyre crumb rubber on weak soil stabilisation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(5):1–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.